confused about time

Dannzzigg

We sail from Tampa on Aug 29th (SOON!!!) and are schedule to be at Grand Cayman on Tue 8/31 at 7:00am ship's time. What time will it be in Grand Cayman?

I have read that they are two hours behind, one hour behind, and on the same time. Which is it for Aug?

confused??? :confused: you and me both! I hope someone can explain this to me. We will be on the Rhapsody next month. We're supposed to be in Grand Cayman from 7 am to 4 pm. The excursion that we want to take through Nativeway is from 9:30 to 1:45 central time. I am terrified that we are going to end up missing the ship because I won't know what time it is!

so according to that, we would actually be in Grand Cayman from 6 am to 3 pm their time????

That is correct. Remember, Grand Cayman is a tender port so don't expect to be ashore that early. The other thing to keep in mind is if the ship stays on EDT or changes it's clocks. The Inspiration stays on EDT during the whole cruise.

Grand Cayman does not do Daylight Savings Time so they are one hour earlier than ships time between the first Saturday in April and the last Saturday in October. For the other five months they are the same as ships time!! In any case most tour operators know the ships schedules better than the crew so you need not worry about "missing the boat"

It depends what ship you are on. We cruised Hal this summer and they changed thier clocks the night before so ship time was always port time. This actually makes life a lot easier than trying to figure out what time it is. Of course not all cruise lines do this.

I think alot of the cruise ships change their clocks when they cross over time zones. The difference here is that Grand Cayman is on Eastern time and stays on it all year. If your ship sails out of an Eastern time zone port and it's not daylight savings time, then you would be on the same time as them....unless your ship changes their time when they get into Central time zone. Clear as mud yet?? Your best bet is probably to call the cruise line and see what their policy is on changing the ships' clocks. I agree with the poster who said that the tour operators are pretty good about knowing which ships change their clocks and what time they will really be in port.

camreesmom, the Rhapsody sails out of Galveston, which is on Central Daylight Savings time and will be until October, when we "fall" back to standard time. Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard time and does not observe Daylight Savings time. So at the time of your sailing (and until October), the ship's time and local Grand Cayman time is the same--therefore there is no need to worry about whether or not the ship time changes to local time.

What everyone has said about Grand Cayman being one hour behind ship's time is correct for Dannzzigg, who is sailing out of Tampa, which is on Eastern Daylight Savings time and will be until October.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the Grand Cayman websites I have looked at state that they are on Eastern Standard Time all year long....they don't observe Daylight Savings Time. That would mean that during the summer months, their time matches Central time, but the rest of the year, they match Eastern time.

Archived