Porthole Cabins..

Litewait

Hi ALL~

What can anyone tell me about the 1a insides with the port holes windows?

Weve done just about every room, inside, oceanview, balcony, balcony with the big balcony (6232). Ive learned that it really doesn't matter, were not in there that much. Weve been on Riviera, Panorama and Empress decks all of which were fine. Empress is my favorite. However, with the economy the way it is and being a single parent, we are cutting waaay back in order to continue to cruise. If we don't pay cash we don't go. I have resolved myself to be completely debt free by 2012 just in time for son to go to college.

So..We have booked the Splendor for next springbreak and booked an inside with portholes, actually 2 of them. Myself & dd, my dd 21 & a girlfriend.

We will be on the main deck.

How are these rooms? Weve never cruised in one, so I'm excited and the price was great for a 7 day cruise I can pay off by 1/09.

Anyone got pictures? I know there won't be any of the Splendor yet, but any are great.

Thanks so much!

Happy Cruising~

Donna

Hi ALL~

What can anyone tell me about the 1a insides with the port holes windows?

Weve done just about every room, inside, oceanview, balcony, balcony with the big balcony (6232). Ive learned that it really doesn't matter, were not in there that much. Weve been on Riviera, Panorama and Empress decks all of which were fine. Empress is my favorite. However, with the economy the way it is and being a single parent, we are cutting waaay back in order to continue to cruise. If we don't pay cash we don't go. I have resolved myself to be completely debt free by 2012 just in time for son to go to college.

So..We have booked the Splendor for next springbreak and booked an inside with portholes, actually 2 of them. Myself & dd, my dd 21 & a girlfriend.

We will be on the main deck.

How are these rooms? Weve never cruised in one, so I'm excited and the price was great for a 7 day cruise I can pay off by 1/09.

Anyone got pictures? I know there won't be any of the Splendor yet, but any are great.

Thanks so much!

Happy Cruising~

Donna

Hey Donna:

Even though the Splendor is not out yet, the Conquest class has a fairly similar layout. The 1A categories will vary on these ships (different layout, some have upper/lowers, lower bed and sofa bed, etc, some will have a window, some will not). I've never stayed in one, but I've been in them, and they look nice and comfortable. The bathroom and closet space seems to be similar, as well as the vanity area, and TV.

Are your cabins the 1A's towards the front of the main deck?

Donna,

We try to do thesame in paying before we cruise. So we often try to go

cheap... We saved for 2 years for this Alaska cruise. We have it 100% paid next week :)

But the port holes which we have had on 2 ships in 1A have been basically a

waste. We found we saw more splashing than anything else. You really don't

get a very nice view, due to the splashes ,etc.

Unless the price is the same I would go for the inside.

Donna,

We try to do thesame in paying before we cruise. So we often try to go

cheap... We saved for 2 years for this Alaska cruise. We have it 100% paid next week :)

But the port holes which we have had on 2 ships in 1A have been basically a

waste. We found we saw more splashing than anything else. You really don't

get a very nice view, due to the splashes ,etc.

Unless the price is the same I would go for the inside.

We had the porthole rooms on our last two cruises (Destiny and Valor) We enjoyed the view and I am cost conscious too, like you, we don't spend much time in the room except for sleeping and showering, so why pay the extra money. I would rather spend it on a cool excursion!!!!

:confused: how can you have a porthole in an inside room? Maybe I am just missing something.

I believe there are 8 port hole 1As on Conquest class ships. (besides the 2 with windows)

there is a picture of one on this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=725576

OP just a FYI, those cabins have one twin and one sleeper sofa the back comes off, so you wouldnt have one big bed with your g/f.

1A cabin w/ two portholes (2216 on Carnival Liberty)

Cabin2216a.JPG

Cabin2216c.JPG

My friend is in 2216 on the Conquest, I was thinking her cabin would be more like the one I posted, which is 1211 on the Glory, now I wonder which she will have? She has the same cabin # you just posted 2216.

Im surprised some here dont like these cabins as well as a inside 4A cabin, me Id rather see out and I dont want to sleep in the same bed as my sister, so maybe thats why.

My friend is in 2216 on the Conquest, I was thinking her cabin would be more like the one I posted, which is 1211 on the Glory, now I wonder which she will have? She has the same cabin # you just posted 2216.

quote]

I've also checked out 2216 on Carnival Glory, and it was virtually identical to the one I posted above. Because it is near the front, you can hear the 'slap' of the waves quite a bit if the seas are rough, but it didn't really bother me.

I booked myself into 2216 for the US innaugural on Carnival Splendor, and I'm hoping it will have this same layout, which I really enjoyed.

Ill have to save this thread to show her then. She isnt online so I saved that other thread and showed it to her, looks like your cabin is slightly wider, which is how the deck plans looked to me, than the pic I posted on the Glory.

She was hoping for the couch and one bed I am thinking, but Im sure she wouldnt care.

That is a couch/sofa in my picture of 2216 above. Cabin steward had set the room for two people, not realizing there was only one of me. I took that picture at embarkation, and it never looked that way again. Was just the one bed closest to the portholes, and the sofa against the wall.

You can see the sofa cushions stacked on the floor in the picture.

I hope that explanation helps at all.

That is a couch/sofa in my picture of 2216 above. Cabin steward had set the room for two people, not realizing there was only one of me. I took that picture at embarkation, and it never looked that way again. Was just the one bed closest to the portholes, and the sofa against the wall.

You can see the sofa cushions stacked on the floor in the picture.

I hope that explanation helps at all.

thanks, and yes your pictures helped. I was looking on the deck plans and thinking that other pic that cabin looked thinner than the 5A, and she is right next to one, and should be about the same.

thanks again.

On that Liberty sailing, I met these really cool ladies at muster. They'd gone to college together. When we were heading back to our cabins, we realized we were neighbors. They were in 2220, the 5A.

We'd all been curious about what the actual look was of each other's cabins, from what we viewed on the deck plans. So we checked them both out. Since they had their beds separated, they were almost identical. When they asked what I'd paid, I was hesitant to say. They were about to get ready for early seating dinner, and one of them jokingly (I think) said, "Oh, I've kind of lost my appetite".

I think I would be upset to have actually paid extra for the 5A or the inside cabins up front on that deck that are all the way up front of the 1A cabins. those people probably got 4A guarantees and didnt know they could pick a 1A and see out and be in a better location.

I was thinking that when I was showing my friend the deck plans. I would always rather have port holes than no port holes if the price was the same or cheaper for the port holes. I dont get the posts above saying they would rather have an inside 4A.

I had to get a inside guarantee on Voyager (leaving this sunday), they dont have cheaper port hole cabins, but lucky dog, they put me in a OV at their inside price, so Im happy. I just book whatever is cheapest and if I can pick a cabin and see out then I pick it, if not I get the lowest guarantee. No port holes on Ecstasy so for next January I have a 1A guarantee and crossing my fingers. It would have cost and extra $60 for a IS guarantee on Ecstasy. For 5 days they can put me whever they want.

We have 2212 & 2216 booked on the Splendor~ If you could send pics after your cruise I would be very greatful. My email is below in my sig.

All the info on here is awesone. Cruise Critic is helpful as always!:p

Raven~ I do have pics of 6232 on the Miracle. I will try and email them, I'm not sure how to put them on here.:rolleyes:

Continue the great info!

Happy Cruising~

Donna

• 5 months later...

quote]

I've also checked out 2216 on Carnival Glory, and it was virtually identical to the one I posted above. Because it is near the front, you can hear the 'slap' of the waves quite a bit if the seas are rough, but it didn't really bother me.

I booked myself into 2216 for the US innaugural on Carnival Splendor, and I'm hoping it will have this same layout, which I really enjoyed.

Thanks all you cruise critics for these photos, as well as the explanation about similar cabins on the Glory. I am booked in 2216 on the Glory in 2009 -- first time solo cruise, and first time in one of these category cabins. I figured it had to be a bargain, because even though I paid the 150% single supplement, and even though its portholes, not windows, I essentially have an "outside" cabin for an "inside" price. The photos reassured me that I will definitely enjoy this cabin!

I've had 1A cabins on the Holiday on all cruises on her. I've had M6 for three of them. They ALL had portholes, some had two and some had one.

It's a nice place to sit and have coffee in the morning and last sip of spirits at night.:) The little 'shelf' is comfy enough to sit on.

I like those cabins, because they're more affordable for me (solo cruiser)...and also because I'm a bit claustrophobic so can't do inside.

I've never been in one w/a bunk or sofabed. Each one has had two single beds on the floor.

Archived