*** The Ultimate Alaska Weather Thread ***

Mr Vincent

Question:

What's the first thing people ask when getting ready to book a trip to Alaska?

Answer: How much will this cost? Ohh, ok yes there is that part, but I bet the second most asked question is - When is the best time to go?

That's the same question I asked as well and I have done much research (ummm, google) on this matter, which means you should really not trust anyhting I post in this thread.

That said - most people who ask when is the best time to go are usually referring to the weather.

What I have learned is that the weather is very unpredictable from day to day, but there are averages that may help you decide. One of the questions I asked my self...or should I say "asked my wife" was - do you want to risk getting wet, or getting cold? Some say the driest month is May, but its also pretty fricken cold too. I was there in mid May 1995 and it was perfect although a little chilly.

I am going to be providing everything I have learned about the weather in Alaska here and please feel free to join in with your opinions and experiences.

For those of you that need to see the averages first and want to skip personal experieneces, I will post those first for a number of cities in the south east part of Alaska(the areas around Glacier Bay). I will add info to this thread as I find them as well.

About me: Just your average goofy American who is a member of Generation Jones, or rather the younger half of the baby boom. I retired at 45 a few years ago and now the wife has joined me. We have plenty of trips planned this year and will be going to Alaska as well.

Just a side note regarding Alaska, which I think would be my number one destination if I had to chose. There is something about this area that draws so many people to it, especially elders. Before my mom passed, she said her only regret is that she never took a cruise to Alaska. I would have taken her right then and there but she was too far gone at that point. Someones whole life is flashing before their eyes, and that is what she thinks about. That's the power of Alaska.

Ok, I think its time for our first set of graphs. This first graph has nothing to do with rain, LOL. Its shows the daylight hours and avg temps for Southeast Alaska which includes the areas of Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxHixxxxLowxxxxDaylight

xxxxMayxxxxxx55xxxxx38xxxxxx16 hours

xxxxJunexxxxxx60xxxxx45xxxxxx18 hours

xxxxJulyxxxxxxx64xxxxx48xxxxxx17 hours

xxxxAugxxxxxxx62xxxxx47xxxxxx15 hours

xxxxSeptembxer55xxxxx43xxxxxx13 hours

18 hours of light a day in June, :eek: . On second thought, how cool is THAT?

This next graph is the weather averages for Ketchikan. I will post graphs for many other cities as well. Remember, these are averages and because we are talking about Alaska here, your results may vary.

Like I said...dont neccessarily trust anything I pose here....I could be wrong, so check out things for yourself before you book.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxKetchikan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit)

xxxxxxJanxxFebxxMarxxAprxxMayxxJunxxJulxxAugxxSepxxOctxxNovxxDec

Highxx36xxx40xxx43xxx49xxx56xxx62xxx65xxx65xxx60xxx50xxx42xxx38

Lowxxx27xxx30xxx32xxx35xxx41xxx47xxx51xxx52xxx48xxx41xxx33xxx30

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(Inches)

Inchxx14xxx13xxx12xxx10xxx8xxxxx6xxx5xxx10xxx15xxxx23xx18xxx17

Wholly frick, :eek: , one of the wettest cities on earth is what we have here. But check out May June and July. On average, much drier.

Ok maybe the cat is already out of the bag but who knows, I have read many messages from many different boards and there are many very experienced cruisers who say they love August and September the most for their Alaska cruise.

FTW(From The Web): Alaska does not have a 'rainy season'. Southeast Alaska typically receives the most rainfall, while warmer sunny weather is typical of interior Alaska summers.

Next up is Skagway .....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSkagway

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit)

Highxx26xxx33xxx41xxx51xxx59xxx66xxx68xxx66xxx58xxx48xxx36xxx32

Lowxxx16xxx22xxx27xxx32xxx40xxx47xxx50xxx49xxx44xxx37xxx26xxx22

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(inches)

Inchxxx2xxxx2xxxx2xxxx1xxxx2xxxx1xxxx1xxx2xxxx4xxxx5xxxx3xxxx2

Ok wait a minute. How could this be. Check out the precip diff between Ketch and Skag. Hmmm, makes me think twice about booking certain tours in Ketch and just going for it in Skag.

Next post will include Juneau.....

FTW(From The Web): Cruise season info· the months with the least rain are May, June or July depending on the specific location.

· the month with the most rain is September

· the month with the warmest temperatures is July.

· the months with the coolest temperatures are May and September.

Oh WAIT!!!! Just a request. If you are going to provide info that you read on the web regarding the weather in Alaska, please dont just post a link. Paste all the info right here in this thread in your posts. That way we can make sure we have all the info right here.

I had a little chuckle over this thread. But it sure is the truth. Now do not forget another question that is asked A LOT. What to wear. I have lost county on how many times I have told people to layer, layer and more layer.:D I will be making my 5th and 6th cruises to Alaska next month and virtually everytime I go it is completely different weather. i have gone in middle of may, end of May into June, July and September and they have all been different.

Marilyn

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxJuneau

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit)

Highxx29xxx34xxx39xxx47xxx55xxx61xxx64xxx63xxx56xxx47xxx37xxx32

Lowxxx18xxx22xxx26xxx32xxx39xxx45xxx48xxx47xxx43xxx37xxx28xxx23

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(Inches)

Inchxxx4xxxx4xxxx3xxxx3xxxx4xxxx3xxxx4xxxx5xxx7xxxx8xxxx6xxxx5

FTW(From The Web):

Question: Which summer month has the best weather for a visit to Alaska

Answer:

Alaska's summer is brief, with the peak visitor season lasting only eight weeks, from mid-June to mid-August. June tends to be dry, but in the north and at high elevations the snow doesn't melt until late in the month. Night time temperatures can be cool.

August is the wettest of the summer months, although warmer than June. July is the driest and warmest month of the summer, but also the time when you'll find the highest prices and the biggest crowds.

The shoulder season extends into May and September, and, increasingly, October. May can be gorgeous, but you can run into cool weather, muddy and snowy hiking trails, and some attractions that don't open until Memorial Day.

September also can be crisp and spectacular. The leaves turn yellow and the tundra red, making the Interior and the Arctic their prettiest. It's also a rainy month, however, and camping can be frosty. October is really pushing it. Snow often comes at mid-month in the Southcentral and Interior regions. Cruises still run in Southeast Alaska, but the rainy season there is in full swing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxValdez

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit)

Highxx29xxx30xxx37xxx45xxx53xxx59xxx62xxx61xxx53xxx43xxx32xxx29

Lowxxx20xxx20xxx25xxx31xxx39xxx45xxx48xxx46xxx41xxx34xxx24xxx21

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(Inches)

Inchxxx7xxxx6xxxx5xxxx3xxxx3xxxx3xxxx4xxxx7xxx10xxxx9xxx6xxxx8

The Tahitian Princess will be making several 14 day Alaska trips this year and will be visiting some ports that are not on the usual itineries you may see. Valdez is one of the ports the TP will be visiting and we will be onboard so im pretty stoked.

FTW(From The Web): I don’t know about you, but when it’s 98 degrees at my house in the middle of August, the thought of head off to a place where it’s 65 degrees is incredibly appealing. The summer weather in Alaska is generally very comfortable, averaging around 60-65 at the coast and maybe 75 inland. It’s perfect weather for outdoor adventure.

(Thats the way I feel about it. Thats why I am going in late August. Its fricken hot here by then that I need some cooler weather and some rain -would be great too.)

-----------------------

I've read a few reviews from folks who have done the Alaskan cruises in the month of September. Sounds very cold and rainy most of the time.

I'd appreciate some feedback from others - is this the norm, or did they just get unlucky? We were told to expect 45 - 55 degree weather, which is fine, but the continual rain would be a real downer.

----------

You never know, as weather these days (years) seems to be unpredictable. However, late season (Aug/Sep) do have the reputation over time as being cooler and wetter than earlier in the season.

Inland may be different. Our one visit to Alaska's interior (Denali NP) 20+ years ago was the week after Labor Day and we had glorious weather!

------------

I went to Alaska Sep 6, 2003. We had about a 1/2 day of rain in Ketchikan, but the rest of the trip was fine. The weather was probably somewhere in the 50's when I went. There were great bargains at the stores this time of year because they wanted to get rid of inventory before closing for the season.

------------

Rain in Alaska tends to be drizzle, not heavy rain. Drizzle can be a downer, but if you expect it, then the sunshine in between can be a real treat! icon_smile.gif That's how we saw it. It rained much, but not all, of the day in Ketchikan for us, and several other days of our 10-day cruise, and we went in May. Southeast Alaska is wet, no question about it, but downpours and even full days of steady rain are highly unusual.

-----------

We live just outside of Vancouver and have noticed that the weather pattern is changing!

Right now we have more dull or wet days than sunny which is what we use to get in April-May. Its now just about mid June! And it used to be warmer by now too.

Summer weather in the last 2 years have seem to start in July (use to be June, just brfore kids got out of school) and stretch into mid September. We had freinds do Alaska last year at this mid September summertime and they had gorgeous weather, so we have booked one this mid September. We're guessing it will be in the mid 60's to low 70's.

------------

We did our ALaskan Cruise last sept and the weather was in the upper 60s-mid 70s, the day we cruised to the glaciar was absolutely freezing so be prepared for that. I think it will be warmer than you think and the rain will just be a mist or a drizzle. Have fun.

Couldn't we just boil all of this analysis down to the following:

> Alaska weather is extremely variable.

> It can range from chilly and windy to rainy to hot.

> You need to prepare for all of it by dressing layers.

:D

We blew away the averages in May last year!

May 21 Ketchikan Sunny, 69 degrees. Took Misty Fjords flight and not a cloud in the sky.

May 22 Juneau Mostly Sunny, 70 degrees. Took Whale Watching tour and hike Mendenhall Glacier. Weather was perfect.

May 23 Skagway Sunny 68 degrees. Drove to Yukon. Stood in the middle of the snow in 68 degree weather. Hardly a cloud in the sky.

The proof is in the pics below!

One thing to note that we experienced was when we docked in Juneau it was raining and gross. By the time we were boarding Capt Larry's boat to do our whale watching tour it was sunny and beautiful. Our driver said it happens all the time. It wasn't that it cleared up, but that in downtown Juneau it rains alot but when you get out of there, the weather is nice. The same held true when we arrived at Mendenhall.

One thing to note that we experienced was when we docked in Juneau it was raining and gross. By the time we were boarding Capt Larry's boat to do our whale watching tour it was sunny and beautiful. Our driver said it happens all the time. It wasn't that it cleared up, but that in downtown Juneau it rains alot but when you get out of there, the weather is nice. The same held true when we arrived at Mendenhall.

Yes, the Mendenhall Valley and Auke Bay weather is dramatically better than downtown (and downtown is much better than 10 miles down the canal). In Skagway, going a few miles across the White Pass gets you into a different world in terms of weather (a sunnier/drier world!).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSitka

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit)

Highxx38xxx40xxx43xxx48xxx54xxx58xxx61xxx62xxx59xxx51xxx44xxx39

Lowxxx27xxx28xxx30xxx33xxx39xxx44xxx49xxx49xxx45xxx39xxx33xxx29

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(Inches)

Inchxxx9xxxx7xxxx7xxxx6xxxx5xxxx4xxxx5xxx7xxxx11xxx15xxx11xxx10

FTW: September 21, 2006

The weather for our day in Sitka was very pleasant. With a light breeze, the temperature stayed within the average normal for both the high and low. For the time we were in the Sitka area, air temperature rose to 55°F and only fell to 48°F. The mean temperature was 51° and we were within 4° of that all day long; and we were all very happy with that!

• It was cool enough to let us comfortably walk briskly but,
  • Not so cool so as to chill us when we stopped.
  • It wasn't too bright but,
  • It wasn't raining either.

If I had to choose one set of weather conditions to live in forever, it would be pretty close to these. It is very representative of the Pacific Northwest during my favorite three seasons: fall, winter, and spring.

--------------------------

Sailing Date: August 10th, 2005

...we had amazingly good weather for our cruise, with sunny, crystal clear weather and highs in the 70s for five of the seven days. Clouds and showers only appeared on the last day.

------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

We had very good weather except for one rain-soaked day in Juneau, so that was a big blessing. And when I say "good" weather, I really mean 52 degrees and at least semi-sunny as that is very nice weather for this time of year up there!

-----------------------------------------

Sitka is on the outer edge of the islands that make up the Inside Passage and is open to the ocean influence from the Pacific Ocean. Sitka can be cool and wet most of the year so dressing in layers is mandatory.

Juneau, being in a rain forest can be overcast and rainy. In fact, there are only 1 to 3 sunny days per week during April, May and June (also Juneau’s driest months) The wettest months are September and October (6.73 and 7.84 inches respectively) You may be lucky and get a dry day in Juneau but you are better off prepared for rain.

Ketchikan is located in the "banana belt" of Alaska and enjoys a mild summer climate. Being in the Tongass National Forest, Ketchikan receives over 160 inches of rain per year and resides in a rain forest. Dress in layers and be ready for anything is the best advice.

Skagway's sunniest days are during the early summer (May and June) and then gets increasingly rainy. It can be cool when the wind is blowing so be sure to plan to dress in layers.

Seward resides at the head of Resurrection Bay and is affected by the open pecan weather. Average summer temperature is 56 degrees but it can get chilly quickly if a wind comes up. Definitely dress in layers when in Seward.

Victoria enjoys the mildest climate in all of Canada. Summers are especially mild and only a light jacket is needed in the evening time.

Vancouver's weather is excellent year around. There is plenty of sunshine in the summer months and it can get downright hot. The normal summer temperature is about 70 degrees and it rarely snows in Vancouver during the winter enjoying an average temperature of around 40 degrees.

------------------------------------------------------------

July 30 - August 6, 2005

We chose the 7-day Inside Passage Cruise, sailing roundtrip from Seattle via the Inside Passage to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria and glacier-viewing in Tracy Arm Fjord. The weather forecast for the week was a solid block of rain, but we somehow had remarkable luck with sunshine and perfect weather almost every single day of our trip!

----------------------------------------------------------

More averages from a different source:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAverage Temperature

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxMayxxxJunexxxJulyxxxAugustxxxSeptember

Anchoragexxxxxx54°Fxxx62°Fxxx65°Fxxx63°Fxxxxx55°F

Fairbanksxxxxxxx70°Fxxx70°Fxxx75°Fxxx70°Fxxxxx64°F

Denali Parkxxxxxx58°Fxxx68°Fxxx70°Fxxx64°Fxxxxx53°F

Juneauxxxxxxxxx62°Fxxx64°Fxxx64°Fxxx62°Fxxxxx56°F

Ketchikanxxxxxxx56°Fxxx61°Fxxx65°Fxxx65°Fxxxxx60°F

Skagwayxxxxxxxx57°Fxxx63°Fxxx63°Fxxx61°Fxxxxx57°F

Vancouverxxxxxxx64°Fxxx69°Fxxx74°Fxxx73°Fxxxxx65°F

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAverage Precipitation

xxxxxxxxxxxxMayxxxxJunexxxJulyxxxAugustxxxSeptember

Anchoragexxx0.73 inxx1.14 inxx1.71 inxx2.44 inxxx2.70 in

Fairbanksxxxx0.61 inxx1.37 inxx1.87 inxx1.96 inxxx0.95 in

Denali Parkxxx0.80 inxx2.31 inxx3.23 inxx2.89 inxxx1.59 in

Juneauxxxxxx3.42 inxx3.15 inxx4.16 inxx5.32 inxxx6.73 in

Ketchikanxxxx9.20 inxx7.30 inxx7.30 inxx10.60 inxx13.80 in

Skagwayxxxxx1.53 inxx1.12 inxx1.12 inxx2.19 inxxx4.06 in

Vancouverxxx2.43 inxxx1.80 inxx1.42 inxx1.50 inxxx2.54 in

FTW:

WHEN TO GO: The usual Alaska cruise season lasts from early May to late September. Alaskan summers are cool, daytime highs in these months range from 10 to 27 degrees Celsius (50 to 80 Fahrenheit). May and June tend to be the drier months, July is the warmest one. June and July are the best months to watch Humpback and Orca whales, White-Sided dolphins. An additional bonus to an Alaskan cruise vacation is that in summer the days are much longer than they are further south. This is the land of the midnight sun. Your longest days will be in June and July (up to 20-21 hours of daylight) and will offer you many opportunities to enjoy active glaciers. Early and late season cruises (May and September) tend to be slightly cheaper and the ports of call are less crowded.

ALASKA CRUISE TIPS: Northern weather can be unpredictable. Consider taking with you and wearing multiple layers of clothes in response to a wide variety of temperatures and weather conditions. What to pack : waterproof and warm jacket, a sweater, light gloves, rain gear, sun glasses and a warm hat for deck strolling or touring on the shore. You also may find useful binoculars, camera, camcorder, film, batteries and walking shoes. If you need a hair dryer, pack one; not all cruise ships have hair dryers in the cabins. Bargain hunters should look for last minute deals as the last rooms are often sold at very low prices. Pick the right cruise ship for your style,- some ships are more traditional, other more stylish, elegant, some offer more choices for children, other are more seniors-oriented. The cruise comparison chart below should help you in making the correct choice. Check your cruise itinerary, almost every ship usually includes several formal dress code nights. Dark business suit or a tuxedo would do the thing. Alaska cruises tend to be more casual than other destinations but items such as cutoff t-shirts, halter tops and torn jeans are still not permitted in the dining area. Tipping is usually $10 per passenger per day. We recommend you to book a stateroom with a balcony. The view on an Alaska cruise is always changing- mountains, shores, wildlife, marine animals, glaciers, or quaint waterfront communities. You can enjoy it from the privacy of your own balcony, escaping crowded decks.

------------------------

May-June...

... is as iffy a time up there as it is in the Seattle area. Cheaper, yes, but statistially your weather would be better toward July. Having lived in Seattle I chose to cruise Alasaka the last week of July and hit 80 degree weather in Juneau - but nothing is guaranteed.

The weather is going to be a gamble regardless of when you go. I sailed in mid-July and mid- September and while the weather was a little better in July the cost was more. All things considered, I would recommend the cheapest times. Even in July it was too cold to sun on open decks in a swimsuit. The pool had a retractable roof which permitted all the swimming that I desired.

I had a little chuckle over this thread. But it sure is the truth. Now do not forget another question that is asked A LOT. What to wear. I have lost county on how many times I have told people to layer, layer and more layer.:D I will be making my 5th and 6th cruises to Alaska next month and virtually everytime I go it is completely different weather. i have gone in middle of may, end of May into June, July and September and they have all been different.

Marilyn

I think I've got the layers things taken care of, but what do I wear on my feet? So far I'm doing the Whale Watching in Juneau and the Dogsledding/Glacier via Helicopter in Skagway.

Thanks

Sheila

I think I've got the layers things taken care of, but what do I wear on my feet? So far I'm doing the Whale Watching in Juneau and the Dogsledding/Glacier via Helicopter in Skagway.

Thanks

Sheila

I ordered some cheap rain gear online and also some spray that you spray on ur tennis shoes that make it water resist. I have no idea if this stuff works or not, but I will give it a try. I cant recommend the website yet because I have not received the items yet.

I also already have some of those real thick socks that I hope will help me.

We blew away the averages in May last year!

May 21 Ketchikan Sunny, 69 degrees. Took Misty Fjords flight and not a cloud in the sky.

May 22 Juneau Mostly Sunny, 70 degrees. Took Whale Watching tour and hike Mendenhall Glacier. Weather was perfect.

May 23 Skagway Sunny 68 degrees. Drove to Yukon. Stood in the middle of the snow in 68 degree weather. Hardly a cloud in the sky.

The proof is in the pics below!

I believe I was on the same cruise. Ketchikan and Juneau were a bit windy so windchill made it a bit cooler (and yes, I'd classify the weather on those days as just about perfect). Skagway was freaking HOT! It was shorts weather. Felt a heck of a lot warmer than 70 degrees. Still perfect weather, but I was overdressed (being in jeans) cuz I thought it'd be windier.

You can take a look at averages and all (and I applaud you on your effort), but to be honest, it's all really pretty useless. GMoney summed up Alaskan weather and how to deal with it pretty well.

xxxxxxxxxxxAnchorage (Seward)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit)

Highxxx22xx25xxx33xxx43xxx55xxx62xxx65xxx63xxx55xxx41xxx28xxx22

Lowxxxx8xxx11xxx17xxx28xxx39xxx47xxx51xxx49xxx41xxx28xxx15xxx10

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(Inches)

Inchxxx1xxxx1xxxx1xxxx1xxxx1xxxx1xxxx2xxx2xxxx3xxxx2xxxx1xxxx1

FTW:

1. When is the best time to visit Alaska?

Our best kept secret is May and June. There are more dry, sunny days before July 4th than after. The days are getting longer, but there is still darkness at night allowing you to get a good nights sleep in the fresh, clean air and perhaps capture the sights of the northern lights. The shore birds have returned and the whales are feeding - this is the best time. June has the most daylight hours giving you more time to explore. August is a favorite time to view the wildlife and catch fish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When to Go to Alaska

Climate & Seasons

The weather in Alaska can be extreme and unpredictable. The state is the first to get whatever Arctic Siberia or the void of the North Pacific have to throw at North America. The extremes of recorded temperatures are a high of 100°F (38°C) and low of -80°F (-62°C). At any time of year your vacation could be enlivened by weeks of unbroken sunny weather or weighed down by weeks of unbroken rain. All you can do is play the averages, hope for the best, and, if you do get bad weather, get out and have fun anyway -- that's what Alaskans do.

June, July & August -- Summer in Alaska is a miraculous time, when the sun refuses to set, the salmon run upriver, and people are energized by limitless daylight. The sun dips below the horizon in Anchorage for only about 4 hours on June 21, the longest day of the year, and the sky is light all night.

The state fills with people coming to visit and to work in the seasonal fishing, timber, and construction industries. Weather gets warmer, although how warm depends on where you go. June is the driest of the summer months, July the warmest, and August generally the rainiest month of the brief summer, but warmer than June.

In most respects, June is the best summer month to make a visit, but it does have some drawbacks to consider: In the Arctic, snow can linger until mid-June; in Southcentral Alaska, trails at high elevations or in the shade may be too muddy or snowy; and not all activities or facilities at Denali National Park open until late June. It's also the worst time for mosquitoes.

Summer also is the season of high prices. Most operators in the visitor industry have only these 90 days to make their year's income, and they charge whatever the market will bear. July is the absolute peak of the tourist season, when you must book well ahead and when crowds are most prevalent. (Of course, crowding depends on where you are. With a population density of roughly one person per square mile, Alaska is never really crowded.)

Before June 15 and after August 15, the flow of visitors relaxes, providing occasional bargains and more elbow room. Real off-season prices show up before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. But the length and intensity of the visitor season varies widely in different areas: In cruise-ship ports, it's busy from chilly early May into stormy October.

May & September -- More and more visitors are coming to Alaska during these "shoulder months" to take advantage of the lower prices, reduced crowds, and special beauty.

May is the drier of the 2 months and can be as warm as summer if you're lucky, but as you travel farther north and earlier in the month, your chances of finding cold, mud, and even snow increase. In Alaska, there is no spring -- the melt of snow and resultant seas of mud are called breakup.

Flowers show up with the start of summer. Many outdoor activities aren't possible during breakup, which can extend well into May. Except in cruise-ship towns, most tourist-oriented activities and facilities are still closed before May 15, and a few don't open until Memorial Day or June 1. Where visitor facilities are open, they often have significantly lower prices. Also, the first visitors of the year usually receive an especially warm welcome.

The very earliest salmon runs start in May, but for a fishing-oriented trip it's better to come later in the summer. Cruise ships begin calling May 1, and the towns they visit swing into action when they arrive.

Sometime between late August and mid-September, weather patterns change, bringing clouds, frequent rainstorms, and cooling weather, and signaling the trees and tundra to turn bright, vivid colors. For a week or two (what week it is depends on your latitude), the bright yellow birches of the boreal forest and the rich red of the heathery tundra make September the loveliest time of year. But the rain and the nip in the air, similar to late October or November in New England, mean you'll likely have to bundle up; and September is among the wettest months of the year.

Most tourist-oriented businesses stay open, with lower prices, till September 15, except in the Arctic. After September 15, it's potluck. Some areas close up tight, but the silver salmon fishing is still active on the Kenai Peninsula, and the season there continues until the end of the month.

A lucky visitor can come in September and hit a month of crisp, sunny, perfect weather, and have the state relatively to him- or herself. Or, it can be cold and rainy all month. Cruise ships continue to ply the Inside Passage well into October, while the sky dumps torrential rains: Ketchikan averages 22 inches and 24 rainy days in October.

October, November & April -- I always love Alaska, but I love it least during these transition months between winter and summer. From Southcentral Alaska northward, snow and ice arrive sometime in October; in Southeast Alaska, it is the month of cold, unending rain. Winter starts in November, but you can't count on being able to do winter sports. April is a month of waiting, as winter sports come to an end and summer activities are blocked by melt and mud. In-town activities are down in these months, too; with few visitors, many facilities are closed.

December through March -- Winter is the whole point of Alaska. For sightseeing, the scenery is at its best (although there are far fewer wildlife viewing opportunities). This is the time to see the aurora borealis. Communities get busy with activities such as sled dog and snowmobile races, theater, music and other performing arts, ice carving competitions and winter carnivals, and all the rest of the real local culture that takes a break in the summer, when most visitors come.

If you enjoy winter and its outdoor activities, an Alaska visit is paradise, with superb downhill, cross-country, and backcountry skiing; snowshoeing; snowmobiling; dog mushing; ice skating -- anything that can be done on snow and ice.

By far the best time to come is late winter, from February 1 through mid-March, when the sun is up longer and winter activities hit their peak. Anchorage's Fur Rendezvous is in February, the Iditarod Sled Dog Race is in March. Visiting in late March could mean thin snow at lower elevations for cross-country skiing, but downhill skiing and skiing at backcountry locations keep going strong (at Alyeska Resort, south of Anchorage, some skiing goes on through Memorial Day).

If you come in winter, you sacrifice some popular Alaska experiences. Some tourism-oriented towns such as Skagway close down almost completely. In places on the ocean, most activities and attractions are closed for the season, but services remain open for business travelers. Inland, where winter sports are better, there is more to do. Hotel prices are often less than half of what you'd pay in the high season. Quite luxurious rooms sometimes go for the cost of a budget motel.

------------------------------------------------------------------

xxxxxxxxxxxDenali National Park

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit) (M = minus)

Highxxx3xxx9xxxx25xxx40xxx57xxx68xxx72xxx65xxx54xxx30xxx11xx6xx

LowxxxM13x11xxxn/axx16xxx33xxx46xxx50xxx45xxx36xxx17xxxM4xxM11

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(Inches)

Inchxxx0xxx0xxxx0xxxx0xxxx1xxxxx2xxx3xxxx3xxxx1xxxx1xxxx1xxxx1

xxxxxxxxxxxFairbanks

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTemperature (Fahrenheit)(M = minus)

Highxxn/axx7xxxx24xxx42xxx60xxx70xxx72xxx66xxx54xxx32xxx11xxx1

LowxxxM18xxM14xM2xxx20xxx38xxx49xxx52xxx46xxx35xxx17xxxM4xxM15

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPrecipitation(Inches)

Inchxxx1xxxx0xxxx0xxxx0xxxx1xxxx1xxxx2xxx2xxxx1xxxx1xxxx1xxxx1

FTW:

Climate

Weather in Denali is extremely variable. Often changes in weather occur without warning. Many of our rangers tell visitors to expect sun, wind, rain, and clouds, and expect them all on the same day. Average summer temperatures range from 33 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

While we hope it doesn't, it has been known to snow in July, so be prepared. Wearing layers of clothing makes it easy to regulate your body temperature. Also, you'll find that a good waterproof raincoat is invaluable. Winters can be extremely cold with temperatures ranging from -40 degrees Fahrenheit and below to high 20s on warm days. Specialized cold weather gear is necessary for mountaineering and winter visits.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Denali - What to wear

For most visitors, a sweatshirt and rain-resistant jacket will be enough protection against the morning and evening chill. Unless you're hiking very much, regular cross-trainers or running shoes -- whatever you're comfortable in -- will probably be sufficient.

Keep in mind that the second half of Denali's season tends to be rainy. Better shoes or boots, a cap and light gloves are good additions to the Denali wardrobe.

Shuttle bus passengers who ride deep into the park will cross a variety of temperature zones, from the warm, often calm area at the park entrance to the winds of Polychrome Pass to the occasional snowstorms at Eielson Visitor Center.

Dress in removable layers -- for example, a shirt, a sweatshirt or sweater, and a jacket -- and you'll be ready for most conditions.

------------------------------------------

Because of its severe winters, most visitors come to Denali National Park from June into early September.

Mount McKinley, at 20,320 feet, is the highest mountain in North America and dominates the park and surrounding area. As with any large mountain, weather changes can be extreme. At any time of the year hurricane-force winds, snow and bitter cold are possible.

The park's terrain also includes lowlands and stream valleys with a variety of plants and animals. In this part of Alaska, annual snowfall varies from less than 60 inches to more than 100 inches.

Throughout the summer, four-day rainy periods are likely an average of once a month; four straight days of dry weather are likely twice a month.

Weather observations are taken at McKinley Park, elevation 2,070 feet, which is the park entrance from the Anchorage-Fairbanks highway.

Observations are also taken at Minchumina, northwest of the park about 50 miles from Kantishna in the park's center at an elevation of 684 feet. No observations are available elsewhere in the park.

---------------------------------------------

• Best Time for an Alaskan Cruise?Hi. I would like to go on an Alaskan Cruise. Can anyone tell me what month (or 2 months) are the best to go? When is it not dark? Also, what is the best & cheapest cruiseline to take? Thanks!

• ---------

• You only want to go in Spring and Summer because 1) it's warmer and 2) most cruiselines don't make trips in the winter (ice and all). Peak season is coming up -- July and August. If cabins are still available, any cruiseline or consolidator will be having a fire sale to get rid of them to fill up the ships.

• --------

• July and August is the best time to go. I don't think you will find it dark, as in the summer they have daylight almost 22 hours. Check this out but I am positive about this. I understand that the flowers are huge because of the daylight. Be sure and spend some time In Victoria B.C. as it is beautiful and well worth seeing. Also take in some sights in and around Vancouver - up to Whistler mountain. So take the cruise from Vancouver, or Victoria. Well worth the extra days spent there.
  • -------
  • My husband and I went to Alaska a number of years ago in July. The week we were there it was chilly, but we were told the previous week was very warm--so be prepared for all kinds of weather. I think late August is probably the best time. Friends who went then reported seeing more whales, more icebergs calving, etc. Friends who just returned say they took all kinds of clothes--summer and fall--and wore all of them over time. It's a trip worth taking. Have a good time.
  • ------
  • P.S. Forgot to add that when we were there the end of June that it was light about 20 hours a day. For all I know, I could have been light 24 hours a day--we'd go to sleep at midnight and it would still be light; we'd get up at 6 a.m., and it was light.
  • -------
  • I have twice cruised Alaska in the late spring (April-May) and it is a wonderful time. A rainy day maybe once or twice a week, but NO mosquitos, small crowds, lots of flowers, and shopkeepers and restaurant personnel welcoming of the first arrivals of the season. The absolute best cruise was with World Explorer, which unfortunately has gone out of business. Spotless old ship and emphasis on educational lectures and classical and folk music, rather than Las Vegas style shows. Reasonable prices, too. Second cruise was on Holland America and that was also excellent, with interesting lecturers and shore excursions. If you have not cruised before, be aware that the latter can be very expensive. It is a temptation to not take those offered on board, and many people do very well exploring on their own, but the kicker is that if you get back to the ship late, they will hold it for their excursions, but not for others.

• --------

• live in Vancouver BC and we have cruised to Alaska 4 times. The cruise season runs early May to late Sept. with only a few ships outside of these months. We have cruised in every month of the season except May. We west coasters often refer to The BC and Alaska coast as the "Wet Coast" with good reason. It really is hit and miss in May, early June and September as far as rain goes. July and August are pretty reliable for dryness. You can't be guaranteed no rain at any time but are always guaranteed excellent scenery. In July and August the large ships we have today means the ports are very crowded but if you research carefully in all of the ports you can get away from the crowds (if you want to as I have noticed most people seem to wander the few main streets shopping). If you like shopping a cruise near the end of the season is a good time to cruise as many stores have excellent sales. At times if you don't look carefully you might think you are in the Caribbean as the "Little Switzerlands" (unforunately or fortunately depending on your urge to shop) have arrived in alask
  • ---------

• We went on our cruise in September (the first cruise in Sept., the second to last of the season). There were several reasons for this and it was all decided with extensive research.
    If you are going and strictly want good or "perfect" weather, go in the middle of summer.
    If you are going for the type of excursions you can take, some are better earlier, some later in the year. We wanted to go fishing and whale watching. These are usually better to do when the weather is cooler. Especially to see the orca or killer whales.
    The sales are excellent at the end of the cruise season, we did all of our Christmas shopping while in Alaska. Stores are getting rid of their merchandise for the season; they literally close their doors for the winter.
    Our weather was fine. We didn't see a ton of sun, we had one port that had some light drizzles, but mostly it was overcast and sweater weather. We only wore our jackets the day we went to see the glaciers.
    Here was a big deciding factor for us. Each cruise line has different ports and different port times. When we looked into it Holland and NCL had the shortest port times. Princess and Celebrity had the best. This fit our agenda of doing a lot while in port.
    Also, if you check around, the food isn't as good on some lines as others. For instance, Celebrity is known in the industry as having the best food; even better than Royal C. who owns them. Some are better known for their service. Basically it all boils down to what and where
    -------
    In Alaska there are no guarantees about the weather. My wife and I went for 12 days in June. The weather was perfect. Clear, sunny, moderately warm. No mosquitos. We had perfect views of Denali for three straight days. The bus driver who took us into the park told us of a friend who was also a driver who didn't see Denali for over a month in his first year in the Park. My colleague at the office, who took a cruise two weeks before we did, had rain every one of the seven days of the cruise. We had mist on parts of two days. But should I tell you to go from June 3-15, just because it was perfect for us? Of course not. Next year the same time period could be dreadful! For my wife and me, we just decide to enjoy where we are no matter how the weather turns out. We booked a land-cruise tour with Royal Caribbean, and it turned out to be perfect. They were our third choice, but I cannot imaging a better time than what we had. They were also slightly less expensive than Princess and Holland America, which had been our first two choices. And our railroad cars looked MUCH nicer than the others did. So maybe we got the best deal! -- In my view, the main thing is not to be a perfectionist. Make a choice and decide it's going to be great! -- I WOULD recommend cruising from Alaska back to the lower 48, rather than the reverse order. And I would second the opinion of those who say to spend some time in Vancouver and Victoria. Don't zip directly from the ship to the airport. You'll miss some very special experiences.
    ---------------
    The best time to sail to Alaska is late June to mid August. That is when you have the midnight sun and it is light almost all night. If you travel late August and September you may see the Northern lights. The weather can be quite variable so you should have some warm clothes, jacket and rain geer along just in case. It can be cooler if you are close to the glaciers. The best prices right now are the 7 night Vancouver return on the Norwegian Sun. If You are wanting to see more of Alaska I would suggest the North or South bound 7 day on the Holland American ships. Their prices are a litter higher but you go farther north. The do have some really good prices on one week sales which usually run from Sunday to Sunday. If you go I hope you have a great time.
    --------
    June and July are best--weather is always a gamble in Alaska. You will see all the young birds and animals then. Go in the smallest ship possible. The big ones just are too big for the little coastal towns.
    ------

Ditto on much of the above posts. My wife and I traveled with friends along the inside passage from Seward to Vancouver. We went with Royal Carribean on The Legend of the Seas vessel. It was nothing short of fabulous. Would you believe, of ALL things, we forgot one of our passports? Remember, if you are going this way, that Alaska is a state, but you must enter Canada at some points and need them. Royal Carribean was a godsend in helping us board ship, but we couldn't take the long trip on the White Pass Railway because it goes into and out of Canada.And thank God, we had an understanding customs agent who accepted the sworn affadavit provided us by the cruiseline.
    All passengers met in Anchorage to be bussed to Seward, but, on our day, something caused some of us to be sent on a train to Seward rather than a bus. The bus is faster, but that train ride was thrilling. Unsurpassed scenery. Ask about it if you have the option. Plus there is a club car and wonderful food service. As for the weather, we went on the third to last cruise in September. We saw the Northern Lights, and had perfect weather. The captain was able to get us to within 1/2 mile of the face of Hubbard Glacier! He did mention, however, that the weather was the best he had experienced during the entire season. So, I suspect, since the Inside Passage is a natural rainforest, that rain is the norm at that time. But Alaska would be fabulous in a downpour!!
    ----------
    You have no control over weather conditions, so forget them. We have made two trips to Alaska, both in late August and early Sept. Inside p[assage cruise was on Holland American, which I would recommend. But, be warned, the cruise w8ill just whet your appetite to see more of this great vstate and its people. Second trip was a fly in to Anchorage, rent a car and spend two weeks drivi9ng and looking. That was a real treat, except I booked it on line myself and I made reservations for each night. Alas, there were times we wished we could have spent two or three nights in one location. Got snowed on dring our stay in Denali area, but as I said before, ignore the weather. Youl'll be too busy to pay attention to it. Take some warm clothes, but Sept. (early) is our choice. reaming of another trip there in the naer future!!!
    -=---
    I have been on 10 cruises to Alaska. There are a lot of comments here about the "best" times, but they may not have a lot to compare to??? Anyway- there is NO "best". :) Mid May - June- can be excellent with long days and dryer weather. BUT plan on an arrival after June 1 if you want to include Denali Park- you won't get far enough into the park in my opinion before then. July-mid August is great for usually the warmest temps and still good amount of daylight. Mid to late August- first week of Sept is my favorite time to go- excellent wildlife viewing and full salmon runs. Sometimes cheaper with shoulder season rates, decent weather and OK daylight. Possibility for Northern Lights. From mid Sept- there is more of a weather range- and is very unpredictable- last season reporters will claim excellent weather- of which it was superb- BUT not typical- hope for a repeat. Usual is cooler temps- 40-60, ave 3 days of rain and worse- dusk by 7pm on the Inside Passage. Plan carefully any touring and unfortunately- evening sailing viewing is very limited. Northern Lights possible, but ships now have way too much light and are far from ideal for viewing. The exception is the Dawn and Sun Princess just complete dark viewing under the bridge on forward Aloha. Be prepared for being out by 0100 and perhaps staying out. Ask your ship naturalist for updates- the auroras can be somewhat predicted. So- many many things to consider- as for the cruise it self- look at route- most round trip Seattle trips have way too much outside passage sailing for my preferences. Ports, time in ports, glacier, price. Budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them. :)
    -------------

Here is the Rainsuit I bought online for 5 bucks. They come in small medium large and extra large. They appear to be already oversized, so medium is pretty big.

I bought a medium, large and extra large. I have a feeling I will never need the extra large.

We do not live in a rainy area and I think this is the best solution for us when taking trips that might have some rain. Just 5 bucks folks!!!!

The name brand is called: Coghlan's and I bought it on a site called Campmor. You can probably find this at a number of sites or stores...not sure.

rainsuit.jpg

Here is the spray that I will try on my shoes: Also bought on the same site. 7 bucks!

waterprfspray.jpg

Here is the Rainsuit I bought online for 5 bucks. They come in small medium large and extra large. They appear to be already oversized, so medium is pretty big.

I bought a medium, large and extra large. I have a feeling I will never need the extra large.

We do not live in a rainy area and I think this is the best solution for us when taking trips that might have some rain. Just 5 bucks folks!!!!

The name brand is called: Coghlan's and I bought it on a site called Campmor. You can probably find this at a number of sites or stores...not sure.

My guess is that the suit is not breathable and that you will roast in it, but if you don't plan to be out much, and for only $5, maybe it's worth it.

My guess is that the suit is not breathable and that you will roast in it, but if you don't plan to be out much, and for only $5, maybe it's worth it.

They Do have a vent in the back of the jacket....but I have not tried these out for a long period of time so who knows. I will be wearing them at most just for a few hours on some of the excursions. But ur point is taken...you get what you pay for.

Here is the info from the site.

Color: Clear.

Sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL.

• Waterproof.
  • 0.05 mm PVC.
  • Detachable hood.
  • Cape back with circle vents for increased ventilation.
  • Storm flap covers zipper.
  • Patch pockets.
  • Elasticized waist.
  • Adjustable snaps on cuffs.
  • Welded seams
  • Avg. wt. of parka 1 lb. 3 oz., pants 11 oz.
  • Parka length 30 in.

They Do have a vent in the back of the jacket....but I have not tried these out for a long period of time so who knows. I will be wearing them at most just for a few hours on some of the excursions. But ur point is taken...you get what you pay for.

It's really the type of material that dictates comfort and breathability, though vents to help. I get your point about being practical, especially if you do not plan to use the stuff after your cruise. I'm kind of a gear freak, and I use it all the time, so I'm more apt to invest.

FTW:

What to Wear While in Alaska

When participating in Outdoor & Adventure Activities in Alaska it is important to come prepared with proper outdoor clothing. You’ll find that your experience will be much more enjoyable if you follow these simple guidelines. While summer months should be pleasant and temperate, the temperature can drop and we have been known to experience a rain shower or two. Layering is key to keeping the body warm. Most of our activities are aerobic which in turn causes the body to generate heat. By wearing layers you can take off and put on garments as needed to maintain a balanced body temperature.

Base Layer

Your base layer should consist of synthetic fibers. Capilene, spandex, polyester, fleece, and neoprene are all examples of synthetic fibers that wick moisture away from the skin, dry quickly, and retain body heat when wet. Wool and silk make suitable substitutes. Do not wear cotton! Wet cotton does not insulate and will make you cold. In warm weather conditions layers are not necessary, but synthetic materials are still encouraged.

Middle Layer

A suitable middle layer can consist of any of the fibers mentioned above. Unless extreme weather conditions make it necessary the middle layer it is not completely necessary. But nonetheless make sure you bring one.

Outer Layer

For the outer layer, it’s important to have a breathable wind and rain proof jacket and pants.

Socks

When it comes to socks wool is the best choice, even when they are wet your feet will stay warm. Be sure to bring an extra pair.

Foot Wear

Hiking boots are strongly recommended. Running and cross-training shoes fail to provide the ankle support and waterproofing that most hiking boots offer.

Synthetic apparel

Polypropelene, capilene, spandex, polyester, fleece, and neoprene are all examples of the synthetic fibers that wick moisture away from the skin, dry quickly, and retain body heat when wet. Wool and silk make suitable substitutes. The same items often used for skiing, running, or biking. It’s best to use these items in a layered system: a lightweight layer next to the skin, under a medium or heavyweight layer.

Appropriate footwear

For any paddling experience, you should be prepared to walk in water. Many combinations of footwear will make this experience more comfortable. Wool or neoprene socks, Teva style sandals, aqua socks are best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Dress in Layers: Trust me on this, you'll be far more comfortable in a cotton turtleneck topped with a light sweater and windbreaker-style jacket than bundled up in a parka. Add and subtract layers as the weather warrants. You will find that temperatures can fluctuate wildly. If you intend to purchase long underwear, consider silk—it feels nice and is extremely effective.

~ Pants: Jeans and corduroys are fine for days ashore in cool climates. Yes, you're on a cruise and you won't want to wear jeans to dinner, but they are quite acceptable for daytime.

~ "Wind Suits": These are a staple in some women's wardrobes and the nylon suits lined with cotton are ideal. You might want to add a pair of leggings under the pants if temperatures dictate something heavier.

~ Jackets: No, you won't necessarily need a down parka; however, if you are visiting the North Cape you will need a warm jacket or coat. With layers beneath to trap warmth, an anorak-type jacket, lined windbreaker, or a slicker (particularly useful if it rains) should be sufficient. Items made of Gore-tex are very effective at cutting the wind. Remember, with all the spectacular scenery, you'll want to spend some time on deck, especially the day your ship stops alongside a glacier. Extended time outside can mean you'll be cold if you're not properly dressed.

~ Accessories: Comfortable shoes go without saying—try to make sure yours are water-resistant and wear warm socks with them. Gloves and a hat or knit headband that covers your ears are necessary for that day at a glacier.

~ Gear: Bring along your camera, plenty of film, and batteries. Binoculars are a must for viewing wildlife—you don't want to miss seeing a bald eagle up close! A lightweight backpack or tote bag is handy for carrying your gear, both on board ship and ashore. You never know when a whale or a bear will decide to take a look at you and you'll want your binoculars handy.

~ Miscellaneous: I find that if I have an umbrella, I won't need it—pack one that folds up. Insect repellant is also handy in Alaska in summertime when the native mosquitoes can be fierce. Good facial moisturizers and body lotions will keep your skin from feeling dry and chapped.

Does that sound like a lot of extras? Keep in mind that by dressing in layers, you can mix-and-match for versatility. Three or four light tops can take up less room in a suitcase than one heavy sweater or sweatshirt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What to Wear when Fishing in Alaska

The weather in Alaska can be very unstable and you should be well aware of that when you are planning on going on a fishing trip. On a clear day, it is very common to get a rains shower or two and imagine if it's the cold season. A very important reminder to fishing enthusiasts is that wearing the proper clothes when fishing makes it safer physically and health-wise.

No one would want to go on a pleasurable fishing vacation and go home with the worst kind of flu. It would just be a worst vacation to remember, right? There are very simple and easy ways to dress properly and you need not spend a fortune just buying your clothes unless you're not there for the pleasure but for a fashion display. You might want to get hold of some clothes rotting in your closet and maybe they are suitable for your fishing trip in Alaska.

Stay away from wearing cotton garment when you're fishing. Cotton fibers absorb much water and will keep the water in your shirt or pants until you hang it off your body and into the sun.

Another thing is that when you get wet, the water in your clothes will add up to your weight and your mobility would have to be compromised. Remember not to wear denim pants or jeans or even jackets. You know how hard it is to move around wearing a wet pair of jeans. And just imagine how heavy it can be when wet. It is very uncomfortable when your wet in your jeans and think about the time it will take before it dries on your body.

It might take the whole day or even more. It is cold and you need to maintain your body temperature while fishing, whether on the shores or on a boat. Not being able to maintain your normal body temperature can lead to serious physical and healthproblems so being prepared is better than spoiling your fishing vacation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wondering what clothing makes the best Alaska cruise wear? If you're planning a cruise to this great state, you probably have a few preconceived notions about what to wear on an Alaska cruise.

To dispel the biggest misconception right off the bat, you probably won't need to pack your puffiest winter parka and thermal underwear, well, not unless you're planning on climbing the 20,000 foot Mt. McKinley.

Alaska isn't the frozen wasteland you've seen in the movies, at least not in the summer. In fact, the temperature on your cruise should average around 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

It will, however, almost definitely rain on your trip - they get upwards of 100 inches of rain in the Inside Passage, through which you'll be traveled for a good part of your trip.

A few things to bear in mind as you prepare:

• It will rain at some point
  • It can get warm, especially in the interior
  • You will probably be out on the deck for long periods
  • It will NOT be wintry, just cool
  • Did I mention it will rain?

Contrary to what you might expect, the further inland you get in Alaska – in other words, the further north you go - the warmer it gets.

In Anchorage, it averages about 65 in July, and further north, in Fairbanks, the temperatures average in the 70's all summer, getting up near 90 at times.

So here are some basic Alaska cruise wear suggestions:

• Bring a rain jacket!
  • Bring mostly long pants
  • Pack a sweater or sweatshirt (or two)
  • Bring some short sleeved shirts
  • Bring a pair of gloves (for glacier viewing)
  • Bring a cap or winter hat (for the same reason)
  • Pack a pair of shorts - or a swimsuit!

When your ship heads into fjords to view coastal glaciers, you'll probably want to join everyone else outside on the deck for the best views.

This is when a cap and gloves can really come in handy. It might be 65 or 70 degrees during your land tours, but in the fjords (such as Glacier National Park), it can often get very cloudy and cool.

And when you are standing outside in cloudy weather for extended periods, it really can get quite chilly, even when it is 60 out.

So do yourself a favor and throw in the cap and gloves.

One other tip: plan your shore excursions ahead of time so you can pack accordingly. If you are going dog sledding on a glacier in Juneau, it would be wise to pack that extra sweater.

Finally, remember to check with your cruise line for specific dress requirements for dinner. Most have become quite casual, but there are still exceptions.

So whatever you decide to pack for your Alaska cruise wear, don't over pack. Bring just enough to make it through a little rain and fog.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Southcentral Alaska enjoys fairly mild temperatures year around, thanks to its proximity to the Pacific Ocean. In addition, Anchorage is sheltered by mountains on all sides so windy conditions are rare (not unheard of, just uncommon).

Typical summer high temperatures in the Anchorage area are in the 60s or low 70s. If the temperature hits 80, it's a major news story in the Anchorage Daily News. But in the absence of wind, 60 is comfortable. And remember that summer days are very long. In late June it doesn't get really dark at night. People are still doing yard work at midnight and, on the Fourth of July, the fireworks aren't set off until after midnight. (Meaning, of course, that we celebrate the Fourth on the Fifth.)

Winters around Anchorage are mild, too. Snowfalls are as gentle as the summer rain. But, if you want lots of snow, Buffalo, New York, or Valdez, Alaska, is a better bet. Temperatures stay pretty much in the teens (Fahrenheit, that is) from November through March with perhaps one or two cold snaps when temperatures drop below zero during that period. The average high temperature in early February, for example, is in the low 20s (Fahrenheit), providing pleasant conditions for cross-country and downhill skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling. Winter days are short; in December when they're shortest, the sun rises after 10 a.m. and sets around 3:30 p.m.

Occasionally, as in late January and early February 1999, the winter weather provides some surprises. A chinook wind blew through in late January, raising temperatures from the minus teens to about 40 above in just a few hours (again, in late January 2007, a brief warming trend sent the temperature to a record high for the day of 48 in Anchorage). Then the cold snap returned, keeping temperatures below zero for days and setting a record on Feb. 3 when the high was -13 Fahrenheit and the low was -25. The National Weather Service reported that the high eclipsed the previous record of -12 for coldest high for that date, set in 1947. The normal temperatures for that date are a high of 23 and low of 10. Usually, if you want to experience real cold, you have better luck in Fairbanks, about 375 miles to the north, where it can get to 40 below or lower (the high there Feb. 3 was -39 and the low -49).

Alaska is a pretty informal place. Casual clothes are acceptable almost anywhere and sweaters come in handy year-around. If you're a man, you could wear jeans and a sports shirt to a Broadway touring company performance at the Anchorage Performing Arts Center without being stared at, although most people would be wearing sports coats or suits. But chances are you're not coming to Alaska to see "Cats" or "Phantom of the Opera." If you're coming in the summer, you'll want to pack a jacket. In the winter, you'll want a heavier coat. A parka would be overdoing it, however. I bought a parka years ago and there are winters where I never take it out of the closet (I was wearing it this Feb. 2 though).

You might want to make that jacket a waterproof one. After three or four summers that seem mostly sunny, we'll get one that seems mostly rainy. August is often the rainiest month in Southcentral Alaska. And some popular places to visit such as Portage Glacier and Seward are especially prone to rainy conditions. A rain hat is probably a good idea, but the umbrella can stay at home. Anchorage rainfalls are gentle; in windier places (Portage Glacier often is), an umbrella would be blown inside out in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived