Solid / Plexi glass balcony Noordam

Bizziecruzer

Hi All - I've done a search, but haven't been able to find an answer so I hope someone can assist. We are thinking of doing a Med tour on the Noordam in 2009, but don't know which balcony rooms have the solid or plexi glass balconies - does anyone have a simple answer. Thanks in advanc for your assistance with this. M.

I believe the simple answer is that in the following (verandah) categories:

VH: all solid

VF: some solid, some plexiglass

VE and higher: all plexiglass

Hence you would need to book VE or higher to be guaranteed plexiglass. Certain helpful travel agents and certain helpful HAL customer service representatives will tell you which VF cabins on Noordam have the plexiglass, and you will find that those are the first to be booked in that category.

Hope this helps.

Just back from the Noordam where we had the VF solid steel balcony, and I can tell you that I absolutely loved it! It was huge and I never felt like I was missing out on seeing the full ocean. From my chair, I could still see some of the sites, but because we were on such a port intensive cruise, I rarely had the chance to sit long. I enjoyed stepping out onto the balcony for port approaches, in which I would stand at the railing anyway.

Photo's to come later.

Just back from the Noordam where we had the VF solid steel balcony, and I can tell you that I absolutely loved it! It was huge and I never felt like I was missing out on seeing the full ocean. From my chair, I could still see some of the sites, but because we were on such a port intensive cruise, I rarely had the chance to sit long. I enjoyed stepping out onto the balcony for port approaches, in which I would stand at the railing anyway.

I am looking forward to my steel balcony on the Westerdam.

I can have acrophobic episodes, and so knowing there is steel between me and that big drop off is helpful.

PS -- Some of the steel balcony have more square feet. I am happy to trade see-thru plexiglass for more room.

I can have acrophobic episodes, and so knowing there is steel between me and that big drop off is helpful.

Another thought - the stern/aft verandah cabins on the Vista class ships are somewhat terraced. Nice to have another balcony right below you. I wish the S & R class ships had stern balconies.

PS -- Some of the steel balcony have more square feet. I am happy to trade see-thru plexiglass for more room.

Then go for the one of the 4 cabins with plexiglass railings next to the steel railings. :)

Same size balcony.

The verandas for "S" Suites on Maasdam are all steel bottoms and it has never bothered us even a little. We've plenty of plexi bottoms on other ships and lots of steel and find both are fine by us.

I believe the simple answer is that in the following (verandah) categories:

VH: all solid

VF: some solid, some plexiglass

VE and higher: all plexiglass

Hence you would need to book VE or higher to be guaranteed plexiglass. Certain helpful travel agents and certain helpful HAL customer service representatives will tell you which VF cabins on Noordam have the plexiglass, and you will find that those are the first to be booked in that category.

Hope this helps.

Plexiglass lacks tensile strength and is subject to yellowing and thermal degradation more likely the railings are polycarbonate.:D

The verandas for "S" Suites on Maasdam are all steel bottoms and it has never bothered us even a little. We've plenty of plexi bottoms on other ships and lots of steel and find both are fine by us.

I agree and think they give an "old world" ship feel to the verandahs. :)

I also liked being able to stand at my balcony, with my bathrobe on, and not worry about people looking up through the plexiglass (polycarbonate) from below. You just gain more sense of privacy with the steel balcony.

Archived