Just back from a wonderful day in Costa Maya and Mahahual

Ralphinsc

I plan to post a much more detailed review and tons of pictures later. But basically a few observations to start with:

1. Mahahaul was wonderful. The vendors did ask you to their shops and stores, but of the four ports we visited, they were the LEAST pushy. Wonderful folks, very cordial and welcoming. We enjoyed spending our money there.

2. The Port village appears to be expanding. Saw lots of new construction going on right behing the port area, including what looks to be a Hard Rock Cafe and a new shopping center. Wouldn't be surprised to see this place a la Cozumel in 20 years. It's not ideal, but it appears to be the way it's going.

3. Prices. From my observation, the prices in the village were MUCH cheaper than the port, especially on perishables like food and alcohol. For example, a 940ml (32 oz) BIG beer in port costs $10US but in Mahajual, it cost $4 in most places and we even found a small store on the beach that sold them for $3US apeice. Regular beers were $2 and a bucket of 6 beers were $10. Massages also appear to be priced very well in town again. Most places were offering $20 for a half-hour, and we found a spot down near the south end of the beach giving $15 half hour massages and even $10pp if you brought a group larger than four. All drinks and food in port were EXPENSIVE, about the same as if you stayed on the ship. The handicrafts seemed to be priced fairly competitively in both port and in the village, though you will probably not have nearly as much bartering budge in port.

4. Taxis were $4pp to town and $3pp back to the port. You could find a taxi to go back on basically every cross street in town.

5. Lots of construction going on in town too. The Tequila beach club looked great from the cab. Got pictures of soem construction workers at work on a new building right along the Malecon. Town was quite clean in it's public areas and the one bathroom I went to in town was cleaner that the one at the port and cleaner than most of the ones I used on the ship throughout the week.

My last small point is to please not skip out on going to Mahahual. These were some great people and we even had a couple mention cruise critic to us. They love our feedback and want us to come see them. Wonderful place and I'd go back tomorrow. My wife was really skeptical about going but had a great time and would gladly go back again. We were hassled and pushed much more just walking the main drag in Cozumel. This place is authentic, genuine, and real. Go see it now and help them make it the great place it can be. It's well on the way top recovery and will be better than ever before too much longer.

We were there about a month ago, and we were very apprehensive about going to the beach on our own. Well, out of the 3 ports we visited, Costa Maya was our favorite. You can't beat the value you get taking a taxi to Mahahual, going to the beach, having a bite to eat and taxi back to the pier. We had a fantastic day!!

I agree completely with Ralph. Give me about 30 minutes to pack and I'm there! DH and I went to Costa Maya in 2005 on the Grandeur. It was one of our favorite places - absolutely unspoiled. We did a trip to Chacchobben and then to Majahual to end the cruise.

This time (NCL Spirit - 11/30/08) it was our first stop and I didn't know what to expect. We had a large group of 14, both adults and kids, and walked the pier to the new port area. The walk is manageable but a bit long, so if you want to take the tram, wait by the ship and it will pick you up. It runs continously during the day.

We got to the port area. It's really nice with lots of shops, bars and a pool area. We wanted to go into Majahual to see what had happened to one of our favorite little towns. We got a large van to take all 14 of us to Majahual for $3 a person. The ride back was $2 person. Can't beat that! I'm thrilled to say - not much! Meaning it totally still has the small beach town feeling. We ended up at the same bar we were at in 2006 - El Delfin (the Dolphin). El Delfin is the last bar before Still had excellent food (must have guacamole) and cold cheap beer, tables, chairs and umbrellas right on the beach. Awesome! The beach is protected by a jetty/barrier so the water is warm with little waves. A light breeze blew the whole time. The kids played on the beach and in the water and were easy to keep an eye on. The adults camped out at the tables, chairs, and chaises for the day and ate, drank and were merry. A couple of us also got massages for $20 for 30 minutes. There are massage tables on the beach as well as a little massage school closer to where the taxis drop off and they were the same price. If you want 60 minutes, it's $40. After spending our day in Majahual, we returned to the port area and walked around for a little bit. We got a couple of good deals on t-shirts and then walked back to the ship. An absolutely great day.

There were vendors that came up to us, but a polite no thank you was all that was needed. Costa Maya went 14 months with no tourists and that made a huge dent in their income. Everyone was very happy to see the cruise ships return.

At one point during the day, someone in our group looked around and said, "man, this is like being in a Jimmy Buffett song." I couldn't have agreed more. We can't wait to go back!

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Can you recommend a beach and restaurant to hang at for a few hours? I think this needs to be Cruise Critic'ers New Year's resolution......to find the next "Cat's Meow"......the new, great Cruise Critic place in Mahahual! Not interested in all-inclusive, just a few drinks, a bite to eat, some shade, and lounge chair on the beach next to that beautiful warm water!!!!!

We went to El Delfin and loved it! It's also near the on-massage if you decide all that relaxing by the beach requires a massage. The guacamole is delicious and the beer is cold? They have chairs and chaises, too.

Enjoy!

Pam

Pamela,

Thank you! I read your review in this thread of your day at El Delfin and it sounds wonderful. There is one word accidentally missing from your review and it says that "El Delfin is the last bar before...." Do you remember what you were thinking to say? Thanks so much for the recommendation. We had a great day in Costa Maya in 2004 and are looking forward to it again in February........ - Maureen

Oh - oops! :o El Delfin is the last little restaurant just before you get to the "open area" where the beach massage people have set up their tables and you can rent wave runner, kayaks, etc. I think if you ask anyone for El Delfin, they will point you to the restaurant.

All the beaches in Mexico are free. If you want to use the tables and chairs at the beach, the restaurant that owns them expects you to buy food and drinks/beer from them. But the prices are more than reasonable, so I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy.

I hope this answers your questions. I love Majahual!

Pam

I've noticed all that people are talking about is beer. Don't the restaurants have margarita's too? Is going to El Delfin a better choice than going to Tequila Beach? I know that Tequila Beach is all-inclusive, but for 2 people it's $70. If the prices are just $3-$4 a beer, I can't see spending $70 for 2 people to drink and eat snacks!

Also, is there a liquor store in the shops in Majahual? Looking to buy some tequila and mezcal!

Also, is there a liquor store in the shops in Majahual? Looking to buy some tequila and mezcal!

Didn't see liquor stores in Mahahual on our last visit before the hurricane,. But, there is a Tequila store in the manufactured port. They offer samples. Prices were reasonable. Not a lot of familiar names, but what we bought tasted good -- 1921 Tequila and Agavero Liqueur. Both good for sipping, not shooters.

Don't remember seeing any mezcal, but wasn't looking.

Trust me - if you can't find a margarita in Majahual, you didn't get off the ship! ;) A friend in our group is not a beer drinker and she had a wonderful time enjoying the margaritas at El Delphin. I'm fairly certain the margaritas are way cheaper in Majahual than in the port. As I remember, there is a tequileria in the port area, but I'm sure if you ask in Majahual you can find tequila.

Enjoy!

Pam

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed all that people are talking about is beer. Don't the restaurants have margarita's too? Is going to El Delfin a better choice than going to Tequila Beach? I know that Tequila Beach is all-inclusive, but for 2 people it's $70. If the prices are just $3-$4 a beer, I can't see spending $70 for 2 people to drink and eat snacks!

We were at the Maya bar at the north end of Mahahual, and the women in our group drank only Margarita's. They had nothing but compliments and I liked the price. :)

Is it easy walking in Mahahual? I'm traveling with mom and she has some trouble walking on uneven ground... I'd love to take a trip into Mahahual but I'm concerned she wouldn't be able to do the walking... Although we are not opposed to sitting at an outside cafe and people watching! Any advise is appreciated... she walks with a cane...

Archived