Planning a cruise and trying to get pregnant

sylvasta

LOL about my thread title! :D

Anyway, DH and I are trying for our first little one, and I know that Carnival doesn't let you sail if you are more than 20 weeks (I believe?) pregnant. I would love to plan my next cruise starting now, but don't know how it would work if we got pregnant and I would be more than 20 weeks along by the time of the cruise. Is this something trip insurance would cover, or would Carnival refund any $$ paid towards the cruise up to that point as long as I gave them enough notice? Have any of you ever had to deal with this?

Hope my question makes sense. It has been making me a little anxious about booking my next cruise since we have been trying to get pregnant, and I miss not having a cruise to look forward to!

I have no idea what Carnival's policy is -- but a quick call will answer that. I did a google search and found a LOT of posts about pregnancy and travel, and different travel insurance policies include different things, so just be sure the insurance you purchase is clear in its pregnancy-related coverage.

Here's an interesting article I found:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30847681/ns/travel-cruising/

Well, so long as you don't book an early saver rate, then you can cancel up to the 10 week mark prior to the cruise, without penalty. Back in 2001, when my wife became pregnant, we had planned that we would try to fit in another cruise before the baby (babies as it turned out) arrived. That became the standing joke amongst the family, and that was how we announced to everyone we were expecting "Well, we booked the cruise" LOL. She called me from the doctor at 11 and the cruise was booked by 1 LOL.

I'm not sure what the time frame is now, but back then it was around 26 weeks or so and our cruise was in something like week 23. Her doctor was fine with her cruising with a twin pregnancy that late in the term because the cruise was to Boston, Halifax and Saint John, and their good hospitals. He would have advised against a Caribbean itinerary that late.

Best of luck in both endeavors.

You can cruise on most cruise lines as long as you are less than 24 weeks on the last day of your cruise. I suspect most insurance policies would not cover if you were actively trying to get pregnant, accomplished this and then filed for reimbursement...EM

Carnival's policy regarding guests who are pregnant:

Guests who are 24 weeks or more into their pregnancy on the date of disembarkation will not be allowed to sail. Pregnant women less than 24 weeks must submit, prior to departure, Carnival's Pregnancy Certification Form, which must be completed and signed by the guest's physician. On the Pregnancy Certificate Form, the attending physician will be required to certify the gestational period and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

Why not just wait and not actually book your next cruise until less than 6 months before the sail date - that way you'll know you meet the pregnancy criteria?

You can still pick your cruise and plan for it without actually booking & 6 months ahead is plenty of time so there is no worry about it being sold out.

Congrats - starting a family is very exciting!:o

Just put a deposit down at regular rates and make the decision to go or not at the time of final payment. Or just book when you are sure you want to go. How much money saved could it be for just the 2 of you?

Or, better yet....take a cruise now!!!:)

Good Luck.

Best of luck with your pregnancy plans....I agree with the advice to go ahead and book the cruise just don't use the ES rate. At final payment you would know whether you could cruise or whether you have something else to look forward to..

Your title made me laugh because we cruised on the Valor in March with our friends who have been married 10 years and have 4 kids. This was their belated honeymoon that they never got and first time leaving their kids for a week.

Surpise, surprise - six months later they are six months pregnant with their 5th child - we joke that they should name their kid Valorie :p

Whatever you decide to do, good luck on getting pregnancy and cruising!!

Just hold off trying to get pregnant until your cruise. That would be a great time to start a family. The memory of it all. Take care, and I hope it all works out.

sb

That makes me laugh!

DH & I owned a B&B for years - one of our favorite memories was a card sent to us by a guest - it had a copy of their favorite vacation photo

It was of a positive pregnancy test stick!

Just hold off trying to get pregnant until your cruise. That would be a great time to start a family. The memory of it all. Take care, and I hope it all works out.

sb

This is what we plan to do. Try on the cruise. We want to take one last one before trying so this one in February will be it for a while. :( Unless we squeeze a small one in the timeframe given to cruise while pregnant. We'll see on that though.

My advice to the OP would be to take on now, or book one where you can get a refund (I don't know which one that is) as others have stated.

Good luck with that, just remember your cruises will be limited after a little one. ;)

Why is that? Pur LO had 3 cruises under her belt before she was 18 months. Cruises will be different, for sure...but not non-existant!

LOL about my thread title! :D

Anyway, DH and I are trying for our first little one, and I know that Carnival doesn't let you sail if you are more than 20 weeks (I believe?) pregnant. I would love to plan my next cruise starting now, but don't know how it would work if we got pregnant and I would be more than 20 weeks along by the time of the cruise. Is this something trip insurance would cover, or would Carnival refund any $$ paid towards the cruise up to that point as long as I gave them enough notice? Have any of you ever had to deal with this?

Hey!

We're currently expecting our first little one! (due in a little less than 3 months)

The policy is that you can cruise up to the 24th week of pregnancy. If you booked a cruise now, you'll have plenty of time to cancel without penalty if you get pregnant and you will be more than 24 weeks pregnant by the time you sail.

However, keep in mind that some travel agencies will charge a non-refundable booking fee, and some rates (like the Early Saver rate) also have penalties associated with it. So, if you want to reserve, choose a travel agency with no booking fees (or even better, book directly with Carnival) AND bypass the Early Saver fare. Request the least expensive fully refundable rate.

From our experience, it's hard to plan a "timeline" when trying to get pregnant. For us, 7 months went by before we were finally pregnant with our little son due in December. In the meaintime, don't stop living, and keep planning things (but make plans that can be changed with the minimum amount of penalties. For example, this year, we're taking a wedding anniversary trip one month earlier, and our hotel reservations and tours are fully refundable until the last minute, juuuuust in case).

As a side note, have fun trying to get pregnant and don't get too dissapointed if a few months go by before you actually get pregnant! It's just part of the game.

BTW, we're already planning on cruising again when our baby turns one! Yes, we know it will be different than cruising without children, but we're SO looking forward to it!

My DH and I are also trying. We have cruise planned for November and I want to book another for our 1st anniversary in May.

I checked with insuremytrip.com and they said none of their policies cover pregnancy. Later this year, I'm going to book for May (not using the ES) and if I'm less than 24 weeks I'll sail, otherwise we'll get the refund.

Sex is the non-existant part of having babies:D

Have you heard of babysitting services offered until 2am aboard Carnival? And YES, it includes the little ones that are less than 2 years of age who are not normally admitted to Camp Carnival...

You can cruise on most cruise lines as long as you are less than 24 weeks on the last day of your cruise. I suspect most insurance policies would not cover if you were actively trying to get pregnant, accomplished this and then filed for reimbursement...EM
How would the insurance companies know you were trying? Lots of babies just happen, you know. ;)

Good luck with that, just remember your cruises will be limited after a little one.

Only until the little one turns 2 and can go to Camp Carnival, in our case. :)

To the OP: don't book Early Saver. That way you can just have your deposit refunded if you need to cancel. You'll know months before your cruise if you'll be over the 20 week limit. Then purchase travel insurance before making your final payment.

I may be wrong but not all insurance has the cancel for any reason policy and those that do must be taken out when you place deposit or shortly thereafter.

No you're right, it's an add-on that you have to purchase right away. I'm just saying it's an option.

Archived