Stores near Newark airport hotel?

ashtyn

We are staying one night pre-cruise at a Newark airport hotel and was wanting to pickup a few last minute items once we get to the hotel. I know that there is nothing in walking distance but is there a shopping center or plaza that would have a grocery store, CVS and maybe some restaurants? How far? About how much by taxi? Would it be easy to get a taxi back to the hotel?

Thanks so much for your help.

We are staying one night pre-cruise at a Newark airport hotel and was wanting to pickup a few last minute items once we get to the hotel. I know that there is nothing in walking distance but is there a shopping center or plaza that would have a grocery store, CVS and maybe some restaurants? How far? About how much by taxi? Would it be easy to get a taxi back to the hotel?

There is really nothing in the area and a taxi will be expensive. The area immediately around the Newark airport is pretty dismal. Can you get out of staying at Newark airport?

The Jersey Gardens outlet mall is very close to the airport. It does have restaurants (mostly fast food food court types but I think there are a couple of sit down restaurants). According to the mall's Web site they run a shuttle to and from one of the airport's Air Train stations. If youy hotel has shuttle service to the airport you might be able to piece two shuttles together (hotel and mall) to get there without a taxi. Even a taxi probably won't be all that expensive.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.jerseygardens.com/index.cfm

check my blog...i have info about a stop n shop grocery store, and there are a couple pharmacies....

there isn't really a place near those hotels with everything. there is jersey gardens outlet mall near the airport (there is a link for that on my blog too) but there is no CVS there, nor really any place to get that sort of stuff, or soda/water...........mainly apparel, shoes and home stuff

cab fare would be, eh 10-15 bucks each way (more or less) - you COULD probably negotiate with the cabbie.....

where are you staying??

I already booked flights and since it is the weekend of the marathon, hotels in Manhattan are very expensive:eek:. Looks like we are stuck staying in Newark.

You know what? You'll be fine. We stayed at the Country Inns in Elizabeth, next to the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall. It was just fine, no problems at all. As stated, though, there are no grocers or drug stores there, but the food court is huge. It's a nice way to kill a few hours.

Just a suggestion: Since you are at an airport hotel, it may be cheaper all the way around to rent a cheapo car on Priceline BIDDING for the day/night. Often there are rentals available out of EWR on the weekends for $20-25.00 for the smallest cars. IF you keep the car overnight, you would have to pay for hotel parking but you could rent the car, go shopping, go out for dinner at a NICE restaurant (not the crap in the airport hotels-overpriced banquet food), then return the car, take the rental car shuttle back to the airport and take the hotel shuttle back to the hotel.

Would generally be cheaper (and easier) than trying to get a taxi BACK from Stop and Shop/Shoprite/Walgreens. And keeping a cab around while you shop can get pretty darn expensive. Just a suggestion.

Just a suggestion: Since you are at an airport hotel, it may be cheaper all the way around to rent a cheapo car on Priceline BIDDING for the day/night. Often there are rentals available out of EWR on the weekends for $20-25.00 for the smallest cars. IF you keep the car overnight, you would have to pay for hotel parking but you could rent the car, go shopping, go out for dinner at a NICE restaurant (not the crap in the airport hotels-overpriced banquet food), then return the car, take the rental car shuttle back to the airport and take the hotel shuttle back to the hotel.

Would generally be cheaper (and easier) than trying to get a taxi BACK from Stop and Shop/Shoprite/Walgreens. And keeping a cab around while you shop can get pretty darn expensive. Just a suggestion.

good idea!

Archived