Review:Statendam Dec 6-21, 2004 pt 4 last

ryansmemom

The weather on our return trip to San Diego was much better. I actually wondered if Balboa had been just plain sarcastic or high when he named the ocean Pacific. We were able to wear shorts and have breakfast on our verandah every day. Hawaii had relaxed us so. The routine of the ship, sleep late, leisurely breakfast on the verandah, team trivia, hang out and talk to people, stare out at the ocean for who knows how long,, lunch (cheeseburger, salt covered french-fries for me), a movie, stare out at the ocean, a practice nap (as Sacdr called it), dinner, Ocean Bar or Explorer’s Lounge, or a show in the Van Gogh. Oh my, (heavy sigh) I want to go back there and do this work again. Someone has to keep HAL in business. Any volunteers?

Our return was uneventful. We did dock in Ensenada, a first I believe. Thanks to the weather, we arrived early and had some extra time. Call me crazy, but I would have preferred to spend the time at sea. As I have said before, it is my favorite port. Transportation was provided into town for those who were interested in shopping or dining. I understand the crew took advantage of port time. We chose to stay on board.

Our disembarkation the next day in San Diego went very smoothly. We docked at the main terminal. We had our usual room service breakfast. Three ships were in port. I do not know if passengers on the other two ships experienced any difficulties or not. We stayed in our suite until our transportation arrived and before we knew it we were back to the reality of land.

All in all we had a fabulous cruise. We enjoyed the company of some wonderful people. We made some good friends. We feel we took full advantage of everything the ship had to offer us. There were some bumps. We decided not to let them bother us. They were beyond our control. Most of them were beyond HAL’s control. Why sweat the small stuff.

Some random thoughts:

We did buy some things in the shops. The weather being cool, I found some nice sweat pants and sweat shirts in the logo wear shop. I also bought a few pair of shorts. I did buy a little woven handbag for $10 to carry around the ship. It frayed after about 12 days. It only cost $10. I left it behind. Chimera bought a Citizen watch at a very good price. Alas, it did not work properly and he had to return it. I did buy a nice watch for my daughter for $30. I also bought a few little souvenirs for the grandkids. All in all, not too bad. They did have Swarovski Crystal and cosmetics and perfumes. I bought a Maui divers Tahitian Pearl Pendant, same price as on land, no sales tax.

We dressed up on formal night. I had my hair done and wore my formal gowns. Chimera wore his tux. Everyone at our table did the same. It felt fantastic. I somehow believe a lot of other people did too. When I looked around it seemed so. When I looked at the pictures, it seemed so. If there were people who did not, it certainly did not spoil my evening. I was too busy enjoying myself.

However, I was genuinely surprised to see several people walking around the ship in their bathrobes. The robes provided by HAL. I even saw one gentleman in his PJ’s and robe out on deck at night. However, this was during the day, in the shops, lounges or library. Interestingly, there was a notation in the information given to us regarding the Neptune Lounge that robes were not considered to be appropriate attire for the lounge. I am just reporting this, not passing judgment on anyone.

My observations regarding the staff and crew of the MS Statendam are that they are hard working,, conscientious professionals. They work as a team to provide the best possible cruise for all their guests. They take their jobs seriously. They work as a team. They seem to be willing to do almost anything in their power to make their guests as comfortable as possible. Alas they are not all powerful. They cannot solve all problems. They cannot control the weather or the breakdown of mechanical equipment. They cannot control company policy. They cannot control what others may or may not do. Given these limitations I think they do a fine job. They must be a cohesive group in order to live and work in the conditions they live in..

We left the auto-tip in place. We then tipped those whom we felt were deserving of additional tips. Who they were, is our business. I will just say there were those we tipped. Personally, at first I objected to the auto-tip, now I have softened that stand. I have come to realize that service on the ship is truly a team effort. Regardless of whether or not I actually see the person or not, their work serves me. Therefore I do not mind it if they receive part of my tip. That is just my opinion. I think the thing that really brought this home to me was when the two guys welded my wheel chair (we did tip them). There are a lot of people working on that ship.

Well, I’m going to end now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Just in case you can’t tell by my review, I had a wonderful cruise!! I want to go back and do it all over again.

Linda

:)

Linda, Thank you for your insight and in depth report on your cruise. It will help those of us getting ready to sail there themselves and bring back memories for those that have gone there before. We are in both categories. Sorry to hear that there are pax walking around on deck or in a lounge with their robes on. Have a Happy New Year and start planning your next cruise! Best wishes, Al and Isabel

Linda-

Thanks for the review! A question for you: the last time we were on the Statendam there was a definite and unpleasant smell of diesel on our balcony, we had a Veranda A cabin mid-ship. It was strong enough that I personally vowed that despite the crew being fantastic, that this was not a ship I'd cruise on again. Did you notice any smell like that?? I am hoping they have remediated the problem as they have announced that the Statendam will be doing the Australia/New Zealand cruises in 2006. We are interested in the trip but quite hesitant about that ship. Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Glad you enjoyed Hawaii and the wonderful days at sea. This is what we loved about this trip the 2 times we did it. It's so relaxing and wonderful to not have to rush anywhere.

You stated "We did dock in Ensenada, a first I believe." HAL has to dock in Ensenada as they must visit a foreign port before returning to San Diego. They cannot go to all US ports without visiting a foreign port - think it's the Passenger services act. We docked in Ensenada both time we did this trip from LA.

Linda meant that we actually docked and were allowed to disembark. If memory serves me correctly, we arrived approx 7:30ish and sailed away around midnight. In the past, Ensenada has been a service call only on the circle Hawaii cruise, no pax or crew could get off the ship. Happy Sailing!

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your kind comments. I enjoyed writing this review of my cruise. As I described it for you, I relived it myself. I get such warm feeling every time I think about it!

localady, I do not remember the odor of diesel fuel at all. I know I would have noticed it because I recall smelling it on other ships. I am asthmatic and found breathing difficult when there were diesel fumes present.

Esme, 1cruselvr is correct. I recall the situation in exactly the same way. This was more than just the usual "Jones Act" cursery stop and submit the manifest, service call. We were told that this was the first time it had been done this way.

Sage, We are definitly making plans to go back. I am holding you to your offer. Your DH is on notice this time. Chimera and I can't wait to share this experience with both of you.

Al and Isabel, I know you will truly enjoy this cruise. I am so happy to have been able to help you. Keep my e-mail address. Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have. I am looking forward to reading about your cruise.

Linda :) :)

Archived