Cruising Newbie Here, All Kinds of Questions

nickdawg

Hey all.

The wife and I just booked a 5 day with a balcony on Radiance of the Seas on October 19th. It will be the first cruise for both of us. We're excited, but we have alot of questions. I hope you don't mind answering a few of them for us.

Please forgive me if the answers are in other threads, I just wanted to have one post with all the info to show her later. Oh and I believe we are in room 7160 on deck seven. Has anyone had this room before?

Okay first off, what is the best dining option? She says she wants Early Dining because she doesn't really want to eat late and she doesn't want My Time because she has heard that the lines are long, and it's difficult to find a place to sit. Is this true?

Formal Nights. Are they required? Is it more business casual wear, or strictly formal?

Best things to bring? Camera obviously. Swimwear? Different pairs of shoes? Medicine?

Pricing. We booked through a travel agency. Will the price go down or is it set? Do I call them or do they call me, or just automatically adjust?

Parking. How much does it typically cost, and where in San Diego is the best place? Also, how early should we arrive?

Specialty Restaurants. I am assuming these are the non buffet type places that have a cover charge. Say the charge was $20. That is per person, right? Does that mean we pay $40 and then also pay regular menu prices? Or do we pay the $40 and eat free, sans alcohol and soda?

Cell Phones and Internet Access. Is it expensive? Will our cell phones work out at sea? We have Verizon.

Finally, how far out do the ships go from the coast. Anyone know how many miles? I was just curious. I wonder if you see land the whole way or not until you get closer.

Sorry for all the questions.

:)

Hey all.

The wife and I just booked a 5 day with a balcony on Radiance of the Seas on October 19th. It will be the first cruise for both of us. We're excited, but we have alot of questions. I hope you don't mind answering a few of them for us. Congratulations on your first cruise. I've read a lot of nice things about Radiance on here and I'm sure her fans will give you all the details.

Please forgive me if the answers are in other threads, I just wanted to have one post with all the info to show her later. Oh and I believe we are in room 7160 on deck seven. Has anyone had this room before?

Okay first off, what is the best dining option? She says she wants Early Dining because she doesn't really want to eat late and she doesn't want My Time because she has heard that the lines are long, and it's difficult to find a place to sit. Is this true? Each ship handles my time dining a little differently - someone will have had experience with Radiance. We did MTD on Enchantment and it was never a problem. The only problem I have with Early Dining - you might have to cut short an excursion to get ready for dinner. For most first time cruisers - I think traditional dining is a great way to go - you get to meet some really nice people at your table and the staff takes great care of you.

Formal Nights. Are they required? Is it more business casual wear, or strictly formal? They are not all that formal - for the most part a suit for men (at least that is what my husband wears) and I wear a dressy cocktail. Some will have other suggestions. I don't know if Radiance has a specialty restaurant - that might be a good night to try it if you don't want to bring a suit.

Best things to bring? Camera obviously. Swimwear? Different pairs of shoes? Medicine? When you first board the cabins will not be ready until about 1PM - so bring a swimsuit, camera and of course medicines (or anything you would not want lost) in your carry on. If you're doing tours - bring appropriate clothes, but at least 2 swimsuits, plenty of shorts, a polo shirt or two, what is comfortable and casual to you to wear on board. The Main Dining Room frowns on shorts, so at least one pair of long pants for men. Other items - personal shampoos and soaps - standard cabins have a one size fits all soap dispenser in the shower. Hair dryers are provided, don't bring irons etc.

Pricing. We booked through a travel agency. Will the price go down or is it set? Do I call them or do they call me, or just automatically adjust? You are past the payment in full option so if the agency allows price reductions (some will charge a change fee) it will be applied as on board credit to use. Any unused on board credit at the end of the cruise will be returned to your credit card.

Parking. How much does it typically cost, and where in San Diego is the best place? Also, how early should we arrive? The West Coast cruisers will have to weigh in on this one.

Specialty Restaurants. I am assuming these are the non buffet type places that have a cover charge. Say the charge was $20. That is per person, right? Does that mean we pay $40 and then also pay regular menu prices? Or do we pay the $40 and eat free, sans alcohol and soda? I think the current charges are $20 for Portofino and $25 for Chops and it is per person. That includes everything for your meal. If you choose - you can tip extra, but the tip is supposed to be included in your service charge.

Cell Phones and Internet Access. Is it expensive? Will our cell phones work out at sea? We have Verizon. It is expensive to use either one. If you really need to use the computers - buy one of the packages. If you have a laptop - bring it and compose emails on it to send out because the service is very slow and the minutes are gone before you know it. There is WiFI service in some areas of the ships.

Finally, how far out do the ships go from the coast. Anyone know how many miles? I was just curious. I wonder if you see land the whole way or not until you get closer. Some of our more nautically minded posters will handle this one. :D

Sorry for all the questions. No apologies needed, as you will soon see, we love Newbies! :D

:)

Don't forget to sign up for your Roll Call - you will have a group of friends before you board.

Hope I helped - above

Re:

Pricing: The onus is on you to check for price drops. If you find one you call your travel agent and since you are past final payment an on board credit will be applied.

Specialty Restaurant: You are correct, alcohol, soda, sparkingling water are not included in the price. Your tip is included so do not feel that you have to tip more.

Radiance has at least Portofino's and I believe she has Chops as well. My memory is fading from last month's cruise.

Okay first off, what is the best dining option? She says she wants Early Dining because she doesn't really want to eat late and she doesn't want My Time because she has heard that the lines are long, and it's difficult to find a place to sit. Is this true? Each ship handles my time dining a little differently - someone will have had experience with Radiance. We did MTD on Enchantment and it was never a problem. The only problem I have with Early Dining - you might have to cut short an excursion to get ready for dinner. For most first time cruisers - I think traditional dining is a great way to go - you get to meet some really nice people at your table and the staff takes great care of you. I second the recommendation for traditional dining. The great thing is that you show up at your appointed time and you are fed a nice dinner. The wait staff gets to know you and your preferences. I don't like to worry about making reservations or standing in line. In many ports, except for Europe, departure time from the port is before early aka main dining.

Formal Nights. Are they required? Is it more business casual wear, or strictly formal? They are not all that formal - for the most part a suit for men (at least that is what my husband wears) and I wear a dressy cocktail. Some will have other suggestions. I don't know if Radiance has a specialty restaurant - that might be a good night to try it if you don't want to bring a suit. Regular dining is like business casual. Polos and khakis for men, sundresses/capris for women. Shorts are not allowed in the MDR. Formal nights are quite fun. I recommend getting dressed up and having your picture taken by the photographers who are set up near the dining room. Most will wear what used to be called semi-formal - suits/blazers for men and a dress or nice outfit with skirt for women. Some people do wear tuxes and long gowns. Very few will not be dressed at least semi-formally.

Most of the time, you will NOT see land....in the distance, you may be able to make out a land-mass, but most of the time, you will be far enough offshore that you really feel "adrift" in the ocean.

Binoculars will help you focus on the bits and pieces that are visible...passing ships, distant islands, etc...

Most of the time, you will NOT see land....in the distance, you may be able to make out a land-mass, but most of the time, you will be far enough offshore that you really feel "adrift" in the ocean.

Binoculars will help you focus on the bits and pieces that are visible...passing ships, distant islands, etc...

How could I forget binoculars? I love sitting on the balcony watching and trying to decide what we are seeing off in the distance.

DD and I had My Time Dining on the Radiance last Spring. When we went to ask "how it works", we were told that it was preferred that we make a reservation for a set time each evening. When we responded that we had lots of excursions booked, we were told that if we showed up at 8:00 p.m. or later, we could probably be seated without a problem. We elected to do that just one night - lobster night - and were seated within five minutes. We did share a table with another couple - no problem.

I guess I'm in a minority because one of the things I like best about the MTD option is that I don't have to dine in the dining room if I don't want to. I can relax and go eat whenever I feel like it. With traditional dining, I hate coming back to the ship after a long day, not wanting to dress up and feeling like I need to run to the dining room to let my tablemates know I won't be there for dinner so they won't wait for us. I just finished a MTD option cruise on the Jewel with my husband's family and except for the one night we ate at Chop's, we ate every dinner in the Windjammer and took advantage of all sorts of options in there. DH had grilled to order Salmon a couple of nights. We did stirfries on another, etc. The best thing was that it was quieter than the main dining room and we didn't feel at all rushed. The (thirty something) kids enjoyed picking their own course order. The waiters there were quick to whisk something away or bring a refill or whatever. It was wonderful. Best of all, we could talk and talk and talk.

If it is your first cruise, I would suggest the traditional dining. You should experience the feeling of being pampered that one gets from the staff. They will greet you by name. They will fuss over you. They will try to get you whatever you want and if you can't make up your mind over two starters, they'll bring you both! If you ask for a glass of iced tea the first night, you'll get one every night without even asking. The staff is quick to learn your preferences and they make you feel really special and indulged.

If you decide you don't want to go one night, there is always the Windjammer which has excellent choices, too, but not the same feeling of being treated like royalty.

One of our favorite parts of cruising is being spoiled by the staff in the main dining room. Let's face it, you can go to a specialty restaurant at home. You can go to a buffet at home, but you just can't find a place where they know you by name and indulge you like the main dining room on an RCI cruise ship. If you want to experience cruising, do pick a time and go to the main dining room.

The time is a personal decision. If you take the late seating, the show will be before dinner. If you take the early seating, the show follows dinner. With either seating, there is plenty of time to get from show to dinner or dinner to show. Don't miss the shows, especially the production shows. They are usually quite good.

Have a wonderful voyage.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The binoculars are a great idea. I actually had a dream that I slept through the first day of the cruise and missed a ton of stuff. Then I woke up, and saw that we were only a mile or so away from land, if that :D

We have no problem eating with other people. We took a train trip back in 2006, up the coast to Oregon, and we had a little roomette. We sat with 2-4 other people for lunch and dinner. Was a lot of fun.

What excursions are the most fun and the best value? We're trying to be frugal but not too much where we don't enjoy ourselves.

Oh and I am not sure if I mentioned it, but the main reason for the trip is our 5th anniversary and my wife's birthday. Should I tell them about it? I mean will they decorate the room, or sing happpy birthday, or anything special?

Thanks again for the great replies!

When you get to the boarding desk for your cruise ship card, tell them aabout your anniversary and your wife's b-day. They can advise you on the best way to let the staff know, and they might do it for you.

I agree with a previous poster that you should eat in the MDR for a real feel of cruise ship dining. It is rather delightful. Of course a night at a specialty is a nice treat, we love to do it.

We too have verizon. I always call them to find out if I can use my phone while onboard or in ports. More importantly, I find out what the cost is. On the Atlantic side, roaming charges are 0.69/pp. Phones on the east never work onboard, only in SOME ports - closest to the US.

Enjoy, enjoy.

I think I remember seeing Verizon charges $2.49 or so a minute. I don't need to talk on the phone that bad.

As for internet, we discussed getting maybe an hour of time for checking email but is the hour good for whenever you want, or is it good for only an hour after you purchase it?

I think we will eat in the main dining room based on the suggestions so far.

Do you see alot of stuff at sea? Like dolphins or sharks, or whales? Is it generally choppy and really wavy, or a smooth experience?

Can you sleep with the balcony door open?

Holiday in at the Embarcadero is a great choice, if it is available. It is directly across the street from the cruise terminal and if you are lucky enough, you can even watch your ship sail in to port early that morning. If that is full, try the Embassey Suites near Seaport Village. It is a very short taxi ride ( perhaps a mile) and also has an excellent view of San Diego Bay. We will be going on this same cruise a couple of weeks before you! ( Sept 30th) My first time on Royal Caribbean, but 7th time on a cruise. I am sure we will have a fabulous time!!

You never know what you will see. I have cruised on the east coast only and have seen dolphins.

Yes, you can sleep with the balcony door open but some ships the open door shuts off the ac so you have to decide what you want cool or waves. Our friends fight about this on every cruise so they switch nights with the door open except on port days then its closed. You dont want to have your door open and wake up next to another ship with people being able to see into your room.

The internet charges start and stop when you logon to the internet service. So, if you buy 60 minutes worth, it doesn't matter when you use them. You can use 2 minutes at a time if you want. You can choose to buy a package - the lowest price was about 40 cents/minute. If you do end up going over the amount you've purchased, you will be charged at the "regular" rate which is about 55 cents/minute. If you don't use up all the minutes that you've purchased, there is no refund. But, you can choose to "pay as you go" at the regular rate of 55 cents. Be aware that the connection speed is extremely slow.

Early dining should be fine on your cruise. You have to be back on board by 3:30 or 4 in your two ports.

Onboard calls on Verizon (and most carriers) is $2.49 a minute. It is cheaper in port. But probably the best way to make calls is in port at a call station near the dock.

Find the Seaview Cafe for lunch one day. It is at the back of the ship on deck 12.

You are not supposed to leave your balcony door open. It won't be dead quiet in the cabin with the door closed.

Archived