Amsterdam 12 September 2009 Alaska!

coffeeclutch1

Amsterdam Review Sept 12-19

Embarking

Our town car left our hotel downtown at 11:00, we came straight to the Pier 91 terminal. We had no wait at any area. We had luggage tags with numbers already. My husband had some trouble beeping in security and found a cigarette pkg was setting it off. On to the boarding, maybe 5 min wait, and we were on board by 11:30. We were not ask where we wanted to eat, just shoved on elevators to the Lido. I believe their theory was to keep us out of their way while they finished cleaning.

Oh yes, I saw only 1 person carrying 3 bottles of wine on board. I saw no one carrying on soda. Maybe it was duct taped and sent on with the luggage.

Room 1804

This was an outside handicap room with 2 port holes.

The handicap bathroom was not easy to navigate, with a large 4 foot door, and very heavy spring. My DH and I are not handicapped, it was a last minute upgrade. I don't know how someone handicapped could have handled that door. The layout of the room was strange, but it was fairly large. We had very rough seas most of the trip and our most forward room felt, and heard it.

Cleanliness

The room was always spotless, our 2 stewards GG and San were so sweet, and worried themselves so, when I was seasick on Sunday and they couldn't get in and clean the room. They were always smiling and seemed genuinely happy.

Food

I thought all the food was pretty good. I will say they must buy raisins by the truckload. I don't like them and they were in a lot of things, including the bread pudding I wanted to taste.

The food in Lido was good. There are a few trays, I felt no need for using them. The waiters are always there to help you. They even want to help you carry a single cup of coffee. I loaded a tray to take to the room for my DH and I one night, it was full and heavy! I started out and 1 little guy insisted on carrying it all the way to my room. By the time we go it situated, I went to get my purse, and he was gone. I'm still searching for him.

The Fontaine Dining Room is good. Waiters helpful and fast. No waiting. Food Good.

I saw jeans and hooded sweatshirts on casual nights. There were a handful of Tuxes on formal night. Most men wore jackets. Some wore vest and ties. It seemed a little less elegant than my RCCL cruise 2 years ago. I love the elegance of formal night!

General on the Ship

Everything was clean and nice. Fresh flowers and live plants everywhere, beautiful.

Too much pushing to sell your next cruise!

My DH found a great social network on the aft of the Lido with smokers. It took me a while to meet people, because our early seating table mates never showed. I kept at the dining room manager until we finally got a large table with 3 other couples.

Alaska was beautiful, Hubbard Glacier was a sunny day. Not enough time in Ketchikan, and Victoria was a bust. Got there late, they cancelled our carriage ride. So we stayed on board. Others said they wished their tours had been cancelled because it was dark and they couldn't see anyway.

Carried our luggage, and walked right off in Seattle. Taxi to downtown was $11.

Regarding Victoria, the same thing happened on the Amsterdam's 5 September cruise; heavy seas made for a 7PM arrival instead of the listed 6PM one.

We had planned on going to the inner harbor to see the lighting but changed our minds and stayed on-board. The Golden Princess had arrived shortly before us and was busy disgorging its 3000 or so passengers and you could see the lines for the buses to go downtown were very long.

This wasn't a big deal for us as we've been to Victoria a number of times before.

On the other hand, we loved Butchart Gardens at night! Granted, we'd been there in daylight on another occasion. At night, it's a fairyland! We did dock and leave late (September 11th), but other than cutting our time a bit short, we thought the trip was well worth it.

Joanna and Steve

Archived