Favorite Snorkeling In Western Caribbean

roe2ship

My children ages 16 and 10 are interesting in snorkeling for the first time on our upcoming cruise. The younger one is a bit fearful making me uncomfortable more so since he has asthma. Which port area do you think is best for them to try it? Princess Cays, Cozumel or Cayman Islands? I have heard that Chanakanab Park (sp) is great for snorkeling but we really want to go to Paradise Beach, is there enough time to do both? Do you think it is necessary to book an excursion for this since they are new at it? If so, which do you recommend? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

you must go to Chanakanab lagoon. just take a cab don't book a tour. you will be the first ones there and beat all the tours. this is one of the top 10 dive and snorkle spots in the world. dont miss it. if you dont have time for another beach it wont matter. grand caymon has great sites too. i dive so you might want to take a tour here. i know its corny but stingray beach is alot of fun. cemetary reef is great but the curent is sometimes stong there.

I also vote for seeing the Stingrays at Grand Cayman. This is on a sandbar so your child with asthma can just stand in the water as the rays swim around if he/she doesn't feel comfortable in the snorkel gear. The water level on the sandbar is about waist high on a tall adult (I'm 6 ft.2 in.) so depending on your child's height might still be fairly deep.

The rays at Grand Cayman is great fun, but for a beginner, right off the beach at Princess Cays would be perfect....as they have build artificial reefs all along the shore and you can snorkel the reef in water as shallow as you wish...and there are a surprising number of fish in both numbers and variety.

marc

If you stop in Princess Cays first then you can try snorkeling there. Very easy and you are still so close to the beach. Then if that goes well I wouldn't miss a snorkel trip in the Caymans. We took the reef and rays snorkel. It was a combo trip of Stingray City and then a stop to snorkel at a reef nearby. It was great. The fish we saw were incredible.

We also did the combo trip in Grand Cayman, loved the sting rays. Also we went to Chanakanaub, and would highly recommend it, the snorkeling was great, just have to walk down a set of rock steps, which can be alittle tricky, but there are railings and also there is a special area just for children to snorkel. There are places to rent equipment if needed, restaurants( outside cafe), beach chairs available everywhere. Can't wait to go back there.

In Grand Cayman....It is about one mile or so from the port to the right. You can take a cab there or if it isn't too humid you can walk. Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. It is a locals municipal beach so you may see a few of the more colorful residents hanging around but it is very very safe. However I would recommend you email someone like one of the local dive shops to ask how the cove has done in lieu of the recent hurricanes.

Chanakanab (who knows sp...) State Park in Cozumel is the best snorkeling I've seen. We went on Princess Cays and though it was nice there was no compare. I've also snorkeled the Tunnels in Kauai and Chanakanab is right up there with it. So many fish, such clear water. I loved it. I want to go back. :)

But I agree with the previous poster... take a cab and get out there right away. It is inexpensive. I can't remember how much admission to the park is but it's reasonable. I remember the snorkel equipment being extremely inexpensive (maybe $5 per person?) and though not the best equip, enough to have a great fun morning or afternoon snorkeling.

Aidy

If you have not been to Chankanaab, there's enough there to fill your day. Taxi is $10 each way. You might consider swimming with the dolphins, or swimming with the sea lions. Check out http://*****cozumel.asp. Their package #1 is a bargain and includes entrance to the park, sea lion show and sea lion swim for $59. Entrance to the park alone is $12. My 2 grandsons 10 & 8 as well as their mom and my DH really enjoyed the sea lion swim! You do need to pre-reserve by e-mail.

A couple of years ago, DH and I did the swim with the dolphins and that is great fun - but maybe a little much for the 10 year old - and it's more expensive. It's something you can watch while there and plan for next time if it looks good to you all.

As others have said, the snorkeling is really good at Chankaanab once you are in the water - can be a little tricky getting past the rocks. There's a small sandy beach entrance with shallow areas for the kids (big and small). The beach area is very nice! If you're there at the right time of year you'll see lots of iguanas. We saw none in early Dec. - but many when we were there one time in the spring.

The older snorkel fans in our group said that Grand Cayman was terrific. They did the Captain Marvin snorkel and stingray tour and loved it. Heck..... you can snorkel here, snorkel there - snorkel everywhere! :D

There are snorkeling spots on every island and be sure you wear 30 sunscreen and a t-shirt (your back will be fried). The first snorkeling day can ruin the whole rest of the trip without precautions.

Now, you asked about a 10 yr. old with ahsma (sp). I would start at home in the bathtub or Y pool. Try the mask, does it leak (get the hair out of the way), then the snorkel (breath at your normal rate)(move the hair again). If anything feels weird for him - fix it-until he is comfortable. And at the dollar store, buy a blow-up little raft-if he gets nervous, he'll have something to hold onto.

This is important-as many beginners are taken off the boats-into a rolling ocean-in deep water and cannot clear their mask or snorkel - and panic.

Even on shore, you don't want 100 people around you when you are checking everything out. This could make or break a lifetime of enjoying the water.

Lifetime FL resident, I've seen it all. Have Fun, MaryAnn:p

Archived