Anyone else dissapointed with Carnival's food quality?

rmartin1286

Don't worry, he got the pre-paid tips as he did an o.k. job. I actually like to tip extra, but I have to know who to give it to. If the steward had knocked on the door and said, "Hi, I'm XXXX, your room steward. Please let me know if you need anything," then I'd know who to give the $40.00 to.

So you won't just leave the tip in an envelope in the room? Curious.

Just off the Fantasy for the September 14th cruise. The food was great. The MDR was great. The lido had great burgers, fries and dogs. They also had this delicious baked chicken everday next to the Mongolian Grill (also Good). The sandwiches from the deli was fantastic as were the BLT's from room service.

Except for the specialty restaurants, I've always found cruise food to be standard, mass-produced, banquet food. Nothing great, but perfectly fine.

I think it comes down to expectations. If you expect mass produced banquet food, then I don't think you'll be dissapointed. If you expect top quality, personally prepared food, then you will definitely be dissapointed.

I've been on many lines in the last 30 years. In the beginning I did the dress up thing, enjoyed the pampering, and the food was GREAT. Over the years I watched the caliber of the passengers go down, (but so did the price) along with the service I used to get. Not that I get treated badly, but just not the way it was. I don't get all dressed up for dinner any more, and no tux on formal nights. The food also has declined...again, it's okay, and tastes fine, but it just isn't the same as it was. Maybe because my taste buds aren't as sharp as they used to be?

So now I still cruise 2 or 3 times, maybe more, a year, mostly with CCL, and the food quality does vary from ship to ship....I don't know why.

I will continue to cruise with Carnival since I believe the value is the best around, .....and I now cruise solo and love to have someone serve me, and make my bed....even if it's not the same. ;)

Last year I sailed on the Carnival Imagination, which was my first cruise since December 2005. I would have to say the quality of the food was far less satisfactory on the Imagination than all my previous cruising experiences, Carnival or not.

Has anyone else felt this way? I have sailed on several Carnival boats in the past, and I don't really remember them being nearly as bad as the food was on the Imagination. The courses were boring, the food quality subpar, and also, I was dissapointed in the changes made to the course layout on the menu. I'm used to the old five-course meals, but on the menu on the Imagination, it was layed out to look like you only got three courses. Not to be a glutton or anything, but I go on the cruises to feel special and be pampered and all that, and I definetly didn't feel like that with the meals on my last cruise. Perhaps it's just this one ship? I hope so, my husband and I are sailing on the Valor in a little over a month and I would hate to be dissapointed again. I can say this for sure, if the food quality is as bad as it was last year, this will probably be our last Carnival cruise.

Please share your thoughts, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks on the subject.

So, you sailed LAST YEAR in 2008 and at minimum you are looking at a 9 month span before deciding to post your concerns about CCL food quality, the menu layout, pampered, etc ??? I smell a "TROLL" <<<sniff-sniff>>>

I have never cared for Carnival's breakfasts because I'm limited as to what I can eat. I usually order 2 fried eggs easy over at the buffet, eat some bacon and some shoe sole ham, maybe some cheese if they have it. I have to stay low carb. But everything else has been good no complaints. We have never tried any of the specialty restaurants. We figure we have already paid for the food, why go and pay more....we're cheap.

Except for the specialty restaurants, I've always found cruise food to be standard, mass-produced, banquet food. Nothing great, but perfectly fine.

I think it comes down to expectations. If you expect mass produced banquet food, then I don't think you'll be dissapointed. If you expect top quality, personally prepared food, then you will definitely be dissapointed.

Perfectly said. The food is (and should be) way down the list on the reasons to go on a cruise.

I taught school..and always enjoyed the school lunches in the school cafeteria. So my creds are solid..I am not a food snob. My gripe with Carnival and the food...is that some of their best dishes are served at Lunch instead of at dinner. The Bread Pudding I had for lunch on the Freedom was not even a first cousin to the flavorless one served in the MDR. The Chief's Salads they have for lunch...Sometimes a really nice salad..with grilled chicken or tuna...fancied up..would be a lovely entree. It would not be expensive either. I find Carnival does too many sauces. Because we are more and more consious of what we eat, my DH and I seldom eat sauces and gravies. So I wish you could have the option..the coq au vin..with just the reduction..none of the sauce..but then I realize Carnival feeds thousands of people a day..and most go away very happy. I do too.

And..Just thinking..the delicious fried (oven fried I think but still great) chicken Carnival serves on American Menu Day in the Lido for lunch..why is that not on the dinner menu..for at least a busy shore day when dress is not elegant. I have seen people line up and wait for that chicken..and I admit..I was in the line with them. I do like the Lasaga Carnival put on the MDR menu..I wish they would spaghetti and meatballs on there for one night. It is difficult to make homemade spaghetti and meatballs..and on the ship the chefs fancy them up

So I would say...More Italian...An option on saurces...and More fancy salads for entrees.

I would also say...I ALWAYS FIND ENOUGH TO EAT AND TO ENJOY EVERY BITE. IT NEVER FAILS.

The Food was better in the early seventies when ships first sailed from Miami. My DH and I went. But..so much else is so much better on ALL of the ships..like stablizers...but the Food was magnificent. This is the Menu from the NCL Starward...1974..

Carribean Night Dinner

Appetizers:

Chicken Liver Pate in Pastry Swan

Norweigian Spiced Eggplant

Chilled Pneagpple Chunks Maraschino

Hears of Artichoke Vinaigrette

Apple Juice.

Soups:

Cream of Chilled Essence of Celery

Gammel Norse Poteo Og Purrelok Suppe

(Norwegian leek and potato soup)

Consumme Brunoise

Pasta:

Baked Ziei with Marinara Sauce

Entrees:

Broiled Filet Mignon Au cresson

Spring Chicken A La Martinique ( Roasted in Sherry Brandy Sauce of Rice Stuffing, Topped with Toasted Almonds and Coconut)

Roast Leg of Spring Lamb, Mint Jelly

Broiled Filet of Florida Red Snapper, Lemon Butter

Vegetables:

French-cut String Beans with Mushrooms

Cauliflower Au Gratin

Broiled Fresh Tomatoes

Potatoes O'Brien

Salads:

Salade Chiffonade ( Romaine, Lettuce, Chicory, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Julieene of Red Beets)

Hearts of lettuce.

Desserts:

Cherry Cheese Cale

Napoleon Cream Slice

Freshly baked pie from our traveling Dessert Tray

and then the usual ice creams, cheese, fruits...beverages.

I think food was much cheaper back then..and there were not as many activities and excursions. But the food............and strangely enough...the vegetables they served each night..and they had food servers go from table to table..and you picked which veggies you wanted...Those vegetables were beyond good.

My Wife and I just got back from 7 Days on the Splendor the food was outstanding I really enjoyed the chilled soups out of everything. There version of a Belgium waffle was a little different, but hey what the heck it all worked out my stomach didn't know the difference

Hasta:)

On our last two Carnival cruises(both in 2008) we certainly did not starve, and found plenty to eat that was ok but nothing that stood out as really good. What we noticed after returning home was we didn't spend several weeks readjusting to our normal homecooked meals dreaming about being back in the MDR on the cruiseship which we used to always do and when describing our cruise experience to others food was no where in the conversation.

Hopefully you will find the taste of the food on the Valor to be better than what you found on the Imagination as that certainly can happen but the menu's will be basically the same so hopefully you can focus on other parts of your cruise experience to still enjoy and have a great cruise.

Archived