Anyone else dissapointed with Carnival's food quality?

rmartin1286

While on the Pride a few weeks we pretty much found the food to be ok, while nothing really stood out as great.

I did enjoy the lobster bisque and crab cake I had, steak one evening was very fatty, I couldn't manage to eat most of it. I actually enjoyed the grilled chicken on the all the time menu the most. This particular cruise was the first where the creme brulee just wasn't anywhere near as good as it had been in the past. It didn't get the full cripsy sugary crust on the top, appeared very oily, runny, and as for the berries it had one strawberry and one blueberry was all. (Even the waiter commented he wondered where the berries went that were usually on them).

Found the deli on the Splendor was much better than on the Pride - seems though how hard can you really mess up a ham and cheese sandwich but they weren't as good.

Overall I find their desert selection to be lacking. Breakfast choices are pretty limited however in all honesty I think my breakfasts were some of my better meals.

Last year I sailed on the Carnival Imagination, which was my first cruise since December 2005. I would have to say the quality of the food was far less satisfactory on the Imagination than all my previous cruising experiences, Carnival or not.

Has anyone else felt this way? I have sailed on several Carnival boats in the past, and I don't really remember them being nearly as bad as the food was on the Imagination. The courses were boring, the food quality subpar, and also, I was dissapointed in the changes made to the course layout on the menu. I'm used to the old five-course meals, but on the menu on the Imagination, it was layed out to look like you only got three courses. Not to be a glutton or anything, but I go on the cruises to feel special and be pampered and all that, and I definetly didn't feel like that with the meals on my last cruise. Perhaps it's just this one ship? I hope so, my husband and I are sailing on the Valor in a little over a month and I would hate to be dissapointed again. I can say this for sure, if the food quality is as bad as it was last year, this will probably be our last Carnival cruise.

Please share your thoughts, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks on the subject.

That's why we pack enough food for the week. It cost us extra with the airlines but oh so worth it. We also pack a George Forman grill and have to get a balcony but that's the price you pay for good food.:p

Bill

I've only been on 2 Carnival cruises so far - a 7 day on the Triumph and a 3 day on the Elation. Taking into consideration the number of people being fed at the same time, I'm very happy with both dining experiences. The only differences I noticed were with the different menu choices on the shorter cruise, but still nothing to complain about. Yes, I missed having the creme brulee, but the key lime pie substitution was just as good. I think Carnival food compares very well to all other lines I've been on. Can't complain about the smaller portions (if that's the case) since that's my preference. Since I can only eat a very small amount per meal, they still look like large portions to me. Plus, any time I don't have to cook, clean-up or stand in line, I'm a happy camper.

That's why we pack enough food for the week. It cost us extra with the airlines but oh so worth it. We also pack a George Forman grill and have to get a balcony but that's the price you pay for good food.:p

Bill

You pack your chef also?

Just came back from my first cruise on Carnival Destiny and honestly the food was just OK. In the Main dining room the food was good but I also believe it was the wait staff that made you feel special and in turn maybe the food tasted better!? I did feel that you could only order specific items on the menu. One night the choice was a lobster tail and it was good but certainly was not the best I ever had! My one complaint was that every night on the dessert menu they had the Melting Chocolate Cake and the other dessert offerings were really not my cup of tea. I did try the melting cake once but I would have liked more variety on the dessert menu. Seems like they were really pushing the melting cake because this was offered in the Lido buffet! I am not a lover of buffet style dining but did try the Lido Buffet and the food was so-so. The buffet had the same items offered as the main dining room. Crab cakes were not so good and I didn't feel at all bad when I dumped them in the garbage! Maybe this is one good thing about a buffet - you can ditch any of the food and try something else! The food offered in the Pizza, hamburger and Chinese areas that was offered was absolutely terrible!! I didn't think that the food on a cruise would be exceptional but maybe a better variety or quality of food could be offered.

:(

Actually, quite the opposite. I think the quality has improved over the years on Carnival in more ways than just the food quality. Now RCCL's food quality has greatly diminshed. IMO, you have to go to a specialty resturant on RCL to get MDR food quality on Carnival. Maybe you had a fluke. I also think it varies more by ship than by line.

I wouldn't say we were disappointed in the food on Carnival. But we all agreed we have enjoyed our food on Royal Caribbean better. When I was asking my family which cruise they would like to take next summer, they all said the same thing, "Royal Caribbean, because the food was better."

Again, we didn't dislike the food on Carnival. We just enjoyed it more on Royal Caribbean. Right now I have the Liberty of the Seas booked for next summer. But I am waiting to hear reviews of the Carnival Dream. We might switch to that. So, obviously we thought the food was ok enough!!

dcarter06 - Do you have any pictures of the Destiny you could post??

Maggie

We have been cruising Carnival since 2000 and if anything, food quality has improved over time. We also like to try new and different things, and occasionally, we find something that we don't particularly care for. When that happens, we order something else. And since someone mentioned RCCI food, I find it to be no better than Carnival in my experience. Actually, overall, I like Carnival's dining experience a little better.

We are platinum cruisers and very happy with food quality. Portions are smaller but probably because of people like me who like to taste and try lots of things.

I would complain about a few minor things.

I do wish the bread they serve for dinner would have a crust but oh well.

Also the OJ has become very watery but the pineapple juice is excellent.

My wife has a number of very unusual food allergies and they are great with her making stuff special. One of the things we love about Carnival.

Have one coming up next week and sure we will enjoy the food as always.

I've only been on one cruise (Carnival Glory), and I found the food pretty good. The thing about judging food is that it is one of the most subjective categories I can think of. For example, most people reave about the chocolate melting cake. I had it one night and didn't enjoy it at all--it was just like an undercooked chocolate cake from a box mix to me. I had other desserts, though, like the one that was some type of amaretto pie that was fabulous. There was also one made with Grand Marnier that was excellent.

Last year I sailed on the Carnival Imagination, which was my first cruise since December 2005. I would have to say the quality of the food was far less satisfactory on the Imagination than all my previous cruising experiences, Carnival or not.

Has anyone else felt this way? I have sailed on several Carnival boats in the past, and I don't really remember them being nearly as bad as the food was on the Imagination. The courses were boring, the food quality subpar, and also, I was dissapointed in the changes made to the course layout on the menu. I'm used to the old five-course meals, but on the menu on the Imagination, it was layed out to look like you only got three courses. Not to be a glutton or anything, but I go on the cruises to feel special and be pampered and all that, and I definetly didn't feel like that with the meals on my last cruise. Perhaps it's just this one ship? I hope so, my husband and I are sailing on the Valor in a little over a month and I would hate to be dissapointed again. I can say this for sure, if the food quality is as bad as it was last year, this will probably be our last Carnival cruise.

Please share your thoughts, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks on the subject.

Food is a subjective subject. It depends on what you like and what you're willing to try. When I travel, whether by sea or by land, I don't expect the food to be as it is at home. I've found the food on Carnival to be hit or miss. Some items very good, others not so good. The food in the specialty restaurants far better than in the main dining room, but I try just about everything. For me it's part of the experience. Do I cruise with Carnival for the food...absolutely not. I enjoy the whole experience and I don't have to lift a finger, which is the best part.

If you're looking to be pampered and made to feel special you shouldn't cruise with a mass market line such as carnival.

We just disembarked the Freedom less than a week ago, and I was a little disappointed with the food. Compared to the Miracle (Nov. 2008) it was definitely below par, as everything we had on the Miracle was amazing. On the Freedom, several of the meals that I had in the MDR were not very good. The vegetarian Indian, the vegetarian polenta, the pasta, the fried shrimp main course (the tempura-style fried shrimp appetizer, however, was good) all were not as good as on the Miracle. Even the fried mozzarella which is usually so good, was not hot when served to me. It still tasted good, but just not as good as in the past. I must say, however, that there were some items that were excellent: the crabcake appetizer, the chicken tenders appetizer, the portobello salad, the cheese plate dessert, the apple pie (not like my mom's, but still good),; the flat iron steak if ordered rare, and a couple of other things. I will say that I did not eat off the buffet at the Lido this year--a first for me. The food just did not look appetizing. I did, however, indulge the Mongolian grill almost everyday as it was fresh and beyond compare. I also enjoy the cheeseburgers on Carnival, but I lament the fact that they only have American cheese (processed cheese slices). As I like cheddar, I take several slices from the salad bar BEFORE I order my burger at the pool grill, and then I ask the cook to "slap" my burger with the cheese I have provided---always happy to do so. Overall, though, this was our best cruise, the food notwithstanding. We make our own fun, and I bring a stash of my favorite granola bars just in case---I am a picky eater.

We just disembarked the Freedom less than a week ago, and I was a little disappointed with the food. Compared to the Miracle (Nov. 2008) it was definitely below par, as everything we had on the Miracle was amazing. On the Freedom, several of the meals that I had in the MDR were not very good. The vegetarian Indian, the vegetarian polenta, the pasta, the fried shrimp main course (the tempura-style fried shrimp appetizer, however, was good) all were not as good as on the Miracle. Even the fried mozzarella which is usually so good, was not hot when served to me. It still tasted good, but just not as good as in the past. I must say, however, that there were some items that were excellent: the crabcake appetizer, the chicken tenders appetizer, the portobello salad, the cheese plate dessert, the apple pie (not like my mom's, but still good),; the flat iron steak if ordered rare, and a couple of other things. I will say that I did not eat off the buffet at the Lido this year--a first for me. The food just did not look appetizing. I did, however, indulge the Mongolian grill almost everyday as it was fresh and beyond compare. I also enjoy the cheeseburgers on Carnival, but I lament the fact that they only have American cheese (processed cheese slices). As I like cheddar, I take several slices from the salad bar BEFORE I order my burger at the pool grill, and then I ask the cook to "slap" my burger with the cheese I have provided---always happy to do so. Overall, though, this was our best cruise, the food notwithstanding. We make our own fun, and I bring a stash of my favorite granola bars just in case---I am a picky eater.

That's how subjective food is. I thought the food on the Freedom was great and was not disappointed at all when we went in July. But the only 2 things I ate from your list above was the appetizer shrimp, the cheese plate and the crab cakes which I agree were excellant. I didn't eat any of the other things you mentioned. Each day our family of four had totally different meals in the MDR. I don't think any of us received anything in the MDR we did not like (except some soup the kids didn't like after they tried it - they aren't big soup eaters to begin with). In fact I always made a point of only eat half of what they served me (I have diabetes and I use portion control to manage my carb in-take) and everyone else finished my food because it was too good to waste. One thing we did not like was the pizza. I thought that was better when we were on the Inspiration and Elation. Everytime we got it on the Freedom it was dry and tasteless. We just stayed away from the pizza.

I have never been disappointed in the food, it has always been not only good tasting but pleasant to the eye. There is just something so special about the Carnival dinning room. Just walking in a seeing how beautiful the dinning room is then we are seated and our waiter comes and puts our napkin in our lap. Then they serve that amazing bread and then the menu comes with so many choices. We then order and that amazing food comes that is presented so nicely.

I do not understand how anyone could not love the food or the service on a Carnival Cruise.

I am not a foodie....pretty easy to please...

since all I eat is beef....(and have always eaten in the Main Dining Room)...

I can tell you that for a period of about a year....the beef dishes did suffer. From time to time they would have a "gamey taste". This was around 2007 - 2008.

I noticed it was better towards the end of 2008. Since we were on a lot of ships during that time....I can not say we just hit a "off" ship....although I know that can happen.

No longer noticed this issue so far in 2009.

I never ate buffets much until last year...so I am not as experienced in how the quality of the buffet is.

Deli is always good. LOVE the roast chicken...

Regardless...I have always thought I have gotten my money's worth.

Try Celebrity and you will never go back. :D We were not impressed by Carnivals food the first time and never went back.

I am a foodie, but have never cruised...

I offer you this insight...Speak up and tell your servers what you want if it bothers you.

What the best steak you ever had? Mid-High end steakhouses all could cook steak like one of the following ways, could sear it on a 2000f+ broiler, they cook it over an open flame, a wood/brick oven or in the instance of the ribeye, they could cook the whole standing rib roast and cut it into steaks after it's been cooked thus not having any crust. Do you like a rub of spices, a thin au jus sauce, a creamy mushroom or a heavy port reduction?

You're somewhat stuck with the "palate" of meat, but so tell them if you want more spice rub, more garlic or more spice... :D

:)

I have no complaints about the food. And I'm not a giant Carnival cheerleader (not saying anyone else responding is) and I think my previous posts show a balance that demonstrates that.

I did think the buffet selection on the first lunch on the first day was pretty thin. But it only got better after that. The breakfast selection at the buffet was far superior to what I expected.

That said, I'm not big into expensive food. In fact, if I was designing the ship and the menu based on my own tastes, I'd cut way back on the "fanciness" of the food and keep it more "meat and potatos" (with some lobster and chocolate melting cake, of course). In that sense, I almost feel like the food is too good. In fact, if I could opt out of the main dining room for a reasonable discount on the fare, I would, because I just don't really want/need that high quality of meals and service.

Archived