Need New England/Canada Excursions Recommendations!

bgarbus

We used to think ship's tours were great BUT, we found on several recent cruises that private tours are better! More flexibility - we saw exactly what we wanted to see! Fewer crowds, avoiding long lines at entrances and at restrooms! We found that 4 or 6 people was a perfect number of passengers. With e-mail and Cruise Critic making the plans and finding companions is easy - and exciting... it's part of the adventure of traveling. And, reputable tour companies will always get you back to the ship on time because their reputation and future business depends on it!

I'm sure that works quit well for couples and small groups. I'm a solo traveler.

• 2 weeks later...

We took a cruise this October with two of the same stops you have. Also mid-30s.

At Halifax, we used Jonathan Duro at yourcabs. Highly recommend this. He was able to time the Peggy's Cove trip so that we did not get there with busloads of other people. We spent the afternoon on our own at the Citidel, then wandering around town and the boardwalk.

In Portland we took the HO-HO bus. As you walk off the boat, there are nice Portland representatives to meet you and give you free maps and information, and the HO-HO bus ticket booth is right as you get off the boat. We just used it to get oriented and then walked around on our own. Midway through the day, I decided I wanted to do the Lighthouses tour, and we booked one right on the dock, which was much more cost-effective than booking through the boat.

I'm sure that works quit well for couples and small groups. I'm a solo traveler.

If you join the roll call for your ship, you can see if anyone else is also considering booking a private tour and join them. Or, you can contact the tour company yourself and see if they have enough people to do a private tour -- usually, the minimum is 4 people. As long as they are from your ship you will not be doing the tour alone. Doesn't hurt to check with the local tour agent and see what the story is.

MARAPRINCE

If you join the roll call for your ship, you can see if anyone else is also considering booking a private tour and join them. Or, you can contact the tour company yourself and see if they have enough people to do a private tour -- usually, the minimum is 4 people. As long as they are from your ship you will not be doing the tour alone. Doesn't hurt to check with the local tour agent and see what the story is.

MARAPRINCE

But I LIKE ship tours !

• 2 weeks later...

We loved our Canada/New England cruise! Here's what we did:

Boston - Carnival tour going through the city and out to Harvard where we walked around a bit, then to the church where Paul Revere was. Tour was ok.

Portland - Portland Discovery Trolley Tours, went through the city and out to Portland Head lighthouse. Very fun and informative. Good to book in advance since the tours fill up quick!

Saint John - Freedom Tours - Rockwood Park. Went hiking through Rockwood Park, probably cheaper to arrange this on your own. Park was beautiful.

Halifax - Private tour with Bob from Blue Diamond Tours. Fantastic tour guide!! It was $70/person for the 2 of us and well worth the cost. We did the downtown Halifax tour, but he will customize based on where you want to go.

• 4 weeks later...

We absolutely love Portland Maine. It is a food lovers paradise and a shopping mecca.

Things to do:

(1) Hop on and off trolley that takes you around the whole city.

(2) If you are a beer lover, a tour of Shipyard Brewery.

(3) Visiting the many shops downtown - a lot of quaint places and restaurants.

(4) You can take a culinary tour of Portland. You will visit 10 places and taste local foods. It is a walking tour which takes about 1.5 hours.

(5) Portland Duck Tours - this gives you a tour on land and also goes in the Ocean.

(6) Although you eat on the boat, Fore Street is great and there is a little bakery underneath that makes the best Blueberry scones you will ever taste along with many other mouthwatering delights.

Boston (too many choices so little time)

(1) Walk the Freedom Trail

(2) Hop on and Hop Off Trolly Tour

(3) Fanieul Hall Market

(4) Quincy Market

(5) The Italian North End

(6) Newbury Streett (high ends shops and restaurants)

(7) Museum of Art

Etc.

For those needing help for Saint Johns, NB and Halifax, here is what we did back in June of 09 aboard the Carnival Triumph.

Or first port of call was Saint John's New Brunswick. We booked a tour with Freedom tours website is http://www.freedomtours.comThey met us right inside the cruise terminal. They paired us with another couple from our cruise so it was a total of 4 people plus the tour guide. We choose the Fundy Trail tour. The Fundy Trail is ranked as one of the best things to do when visiting, so why not go? The Fundy trail has many picturesque look outs and various trails, all depending on your skills. There are portions of the trail that reminded me of the Pacific Coast Hwy. This tour is a landscape photographer's delight. We also stopped for some local chowder and the tour made sure that they brought us to the shoreline during low tide. The beauty of this tour is that we were able to stop anywhere we wanted if we saw anything of interest. They also brought us over to the reversing falls location near the end of our tour. This was a great tour and we were able to see and do a lot more than with the cruise ship excursion.

As for Halifax NS, honestly, I had a hard time finding a tour worth while. The only one I thought about was the Peggy's Cove, but then we already went to a local fishing village in St Martin's. The walk on walk off double decker is a rip off. Don't do it if you can walk IMO. The city is not very large. It's a about a mile walk to all the shopping from the Ship. Just walk along the pier all the way down and take a map. The locals are very friendly and several times asked if I needed help. So much for trying to blend in. Anyway, my wife and I decided to take the ferry across the river and we took a public transportation bus to the Fisherman's Cove. There are a bunch of little shops there but it was the seafood we were craving. We had a great meal at one of the restaurants there. The prices were much cheaper than any US restaurants. Lobster was going for $5/lb.

If you need help for something to do, just stop by the local Visitors center for some assistance. They told us which Bus to take and it was a fraction of the price of any tour or excursion.

Hopefully this will help you

Thoth, I'm a solo traveller too, and there's nothing wrong with ship's tours. I see you sailed the Triumph last year; so did I. It would be funny if we were on the same sailing; I sailed in mid-October.

I've been on this itinerary enough times to know ship tours and independent tours are often offerred by the same company, particularly the Greyline hosted tours in Halifax, and the trolley tours in Boston. You can save yourself some bucks, but it usually isn't enough savings to make a huge difference to a solo traveller. Besides, on that itinerary you can just walk around and/or take public transportation to get around the touristy sights of the port cities.

Looking forward to choosing a NE/Canada cruise in 2010. Its starting to narrow itself down.

To the OP: you should consider an excursion out to Peggy's Cove at least once. It was a lovely outing.

Thoth, I'm a solo traveller too, and there's nothing wrong with ship's tours. I see you sailed the Triumph last year; so did I. It would be funny if we were on the same sailing; I sailed in mid-October.

I've been on this itinerary enough times to know ship tours and independent tours are often offerred by the same company, particularly the Greyline hosted tours in Halifax, and the trolley tours in Boston. You can save yourself some bucks, but it usually isn't enough savings to make a huge difference to a solo traveller. Besides, on that itinerary you can just walk around and/or take public transportation to get around the touristy sights of the port cities.

Looking forward to choosing a NE/Canada cruise in 2010. Its starting to narrow itself down.

To the OP: you should consider an excursion out to Peggy's Cove at least once. It was a lovely outing.

Hi ! I was on the 12 September 09 sailing. It was a wonderful vacation with the exception of the delayed flights going and coming. The tours I took were great,

Boston: Lexington & Concord

Portland: Mount Washington Cog Railroad

Saint John: Fundy National Park

Halifax: Peggy's Cove & bus tour up to the Citadel.

As for ship's tour versus independent tours, I feel that married couples fail to realize that the rules change just a bit for single people. By booking a ship tour, I have instant friends to watch out for me and vice versa. While the US and Canada are safe, in *some* places being a hour away from the ship and nobody knows where I am? Nope !

• 5 weeks later...

As a tour guide who works in both Portland and Bar Harbor, my point of view...

a) Mt. Washington Cog - yes it's a long day, but it's truly a once in a lifetime experience - (or for me 5 x's a year) You never know what the day will bring - it may be 75 in Portland but only 35 at the top of the mountain.

b) Lighthouses of Maine - tour of Portland as well as time at 3 local lighthouses (and a WWII memorial at one stop). Great views of the harbor, and lots of interesting history of the area.

c) Acadia w/Lobster - good choice - but if you have the option, take the morning tour, that way lunch is at the end of the bus ride and you won't be rushed back to the ship via tender and can take in the town and shopping. (and if you don't eat lobster, they offer steak)

As a tour guide who works in both Portland and Bar Harbor, my point of view...

a) Mt. Washington Cog - yes it's a long day, but it's truly a once in a lifetime experience - (or for me 5 x's a year) You never know what the day will bring - it may be 75 in Portland but only 35 at the top of the mountain.

b) Lighthouses of Maine - tour of Portland as well as time at 3 local lighthouses (and a WWII memorial at one stop). Great views of the harbor, and lots of interesting history of the area.

c) Acadia w/Lobster - good choice - but if you have the option, take the morning tour, that way lunch is at the end of the bus ride and you won't be rushed back to the ship via tender and can take in the town and shopping. (and if you don't eat lobster, they offer steak)

In the news...It seems that Mount Washington has lost the record for highest winds. The record of 231 mph has been topped by some place in Australia. The record was broken in 1996 but only "discovered' this year. Strange !!

I did the railroad last year and ...yes...a very unique experience.

"In Portland, ME there is a $5 hop-on-hop-off available from the dock."

Milaandra...

This is the first I've heard of the $5 Hoho in Portland. Please provide more details. Where all does it go? Is there a web site? Any idea if it runs in late October? Is it well narrated?

We were in Portland twice last year (not on a cruise) and noticed and was later informed that they only have this bus when Cruises are in Port - so yes it will be running. I agree with what previous ready said - get on the Ho Ho and then walk. It is apparently also fun to go on a $ taxi ride to LL Beans 24 hour store in Freeport. We are going on the Canada/New England 14 day cruise on 9 October this year and are hoping to do that - no to buy anything, but apparently it is just massive and has wonderful displays (I can't believe I am saying that about a shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!):D

That is very reassuring. I keep seeing 'bring several sweaters' on the suggested items to pack. I have never gone into a cooler climate, we have always cruised south so this is very new for us.

Thanks again for the great info. Looks like we will pack the normal stuff and bring a jacket or two. :D

We were in Canada and around Gaspe Pensinsular last year for a couple of weeks in October and you will need all the above to be comfortable, particularly on a ship. We attended a function outside on the 11 October 2009 (Canadian Thanksgiving) and it snowed whilst we were having dinner. I have never seen snow snowing before (if you know what I mean!) and it was really weird seeing my plate (outside meal) full of snow!! It was like being a in frig!! We bought lots of clothes in the USA for the cold - we were not cruising, but travelling by car and staying in hotels and homes.

My friends told me that this is to be expected at this time of the year - some days the weather got below freezing at the home we were staying at and they had snow flurries. Their home is about equal with Bar Harbor.

We were in Portland twice last year (not on a cruise) and noticed and was later informed that they only have this bus when Cruises are in Port - so yes it will be running. I agree with what previous ready said - get on the Ho Ho and then walk. It is apparently also fun to go on a $ taxi ride to LL Beans 24 hour store in Freeport. We are going on the Canada/New England 14 day cruise on 9 October this year and are hoping to do that - no to buy anything, but apparently it is just massive and has wonderful displays (I can't believe I am saying that about a shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!):D

We live in NH and one of our favorite cities is Portland - we go there often. If you only have one day in Portland, save yourself some $ and walk to Downtown - it is a short walk. There are a lot of nice shops and restaurants. There is a hop-on-hop off bus but I don't remember it being $5. There are so many things to see in Portland.

As far as LL Bean, sure it is big and nice but it is just a store. If time is short, get the catalog. Have fun in Portland.

"In Portland, ME there is a $5 hop-on-hop-off available from the dock."

Milaandra...

This is the first I've heard of the $5 Hoho in Portland. Please provide more details. Where all does it go? Is there a web site? Any idea if it runs in late October? Is it well narrated?

The $5 hoho bus in Portland Maine is a special service offered by METRO (the city bus company) and picks up passengers on the street just outside the cruise ship terminal on cruise ship days (larger ships). The route (8A) takes you to Congress Street and the arts district and back down to the ship and the Old Port. It normally is not narrated, although some drivers may give general info.

from Metro's website (http://www.gpmetrobus.com)

Passengers arriving in Portland on cruise ships (with 1000+ passengers)

can Hop On and Hop Off the PEEK AT PORTLAND, METRO 8A when they visit.

The PEEK AT PORTLAND 8A makes convenient stops within walking distance

of museums, galleries, retail shops, restaurants and historic landmarks.

An updated brochure and map for the 2010 season will be produced in April 2010,

and will be posted on this (Metro's) site. If you would like more information on this

service ... please call 207-774-0351.

We live in NH and one of our favorite cities is Portland - we go there often. If you only have one day in Portland, save yourself some $ and walk to Downtown - it is a short walk. There are a lot of nice shops and restaurants. There is a hop-on-hop off bus but I don't remember it being $5. There are so many things to see in Portland.

As far as LL Bean, sure it is big and nice but it is just a store. If time is short, get the catalog. Have fun in Portland.

Thanks for that information about the LL Bean Store - yes, guess you are right. I will just keep looking at their stuff on the internet then!!!! I do buy quite a lot even though the postage is high, but it is still cheaper and better quality than the clothes in Aussie.

Yes, we both agree, Portland is one of our favourite cities too. We love Blues music and for 5 evenings the first time we visited we went to Blues cafe and then Longfellow Square and saw fabulous performers including one who we paid nearly 100 bucks each to see perform in Australia 10 years ago and saw him at Longfellow Square for 15.00 bucks plus had a fantastic supper and got to meet him.

We went to a fabulous Greek restaurant in the old section for lunch (very cheap and delicious) and had a brunch at Beckies at the Port (near the Bridge). This was our first experience of an American diner. Wow, I had never had blueberry pancakes before and now I am hooked and miss them - will have to return for those. :D:p

Thanks for that information about the LL Bean Store - yes, guess you are right. I will just keep looking at their stuff on the internet then!!!! I do buy quite a lot even though the postage is high, but it is still cheaper and better quality than the clothes in Aussie.

Yes, we both agree, Portland is one of our favourite cities too. We love Blues music and for 5 evenings the first time we visited we went to Blues cafe and then Longfellow Square and saw fabulous performers including one who we paid nearly 100 bucks each to see perform in Australia 10 years ago and saw him at Longfellow Square for 15.00 bucks plus had a fantastic supper and got to meet him.

We went to a fabulous Greek restaurant in the old section for lunch (very cheap and delicious) and had a brunch at Beckies at the Port (near the Bridge). This was our first experience of an American diner. Wow, I had never had blueberry pancakes before and now I am hooked and miss them - will have to return for those. :D:p

I certainly don't want to discourage you from going to LL Bean if you had your heart set on it. It is a very nice store. The area also has a plaza with nice stores and restaurants. If you have already been to Portland and feel like you have been there done that - certainly go to Freeport. I am sure that you will have a great time.

If you decide to stay in Portland - there is a wonderful bakery below the Fore Street Restaurant on the main street not too far from the Pier that has the most wonderful blueberry scones along with other goodies. Also, there is a Gourmet Foodie Tour of Portland that leaves right from downtown - it is a walking tour and she takes you to various locations to sample food - lobster fresh from the dock, a great fish market where we saw seals swimming in the harbor, chocolate covered blueberries, etc. For around $30pp.

I am originally from New York but have lived in New England for a long time. It is a wonderful area (winters are a bit chilly). So many things to see and do. It is best in Fall when all of the leaves change.

New Hampshire was lovely last September. The Triumph docked in Portland, ME and I took a tour up to Mount Washington Cog Railroad. The train was so very neat. The mountain top was shocking COLD. Not cool, but cold ! I enjoyed myself though. Mt Washington reminds me so much of Pike's peak in Colorado and is unlike anything I've encountered in the Appalachian mountains prior.

Next year I'm cruising to Maine again and this time the ship is to dock in Bar harbor. Acadia National Park is one the maine ( whoops I mean main ) reasons to book that cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

All of these posts regarding the ports of New England/Canada have been extremely helpful! We are going on this cruise in October and will be sure to pack clothes for all sorts of climates. Thanks so much to everyone for this information. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We finally paid off out New England / Canada cruise. We are booked and ready to go!

We also booked a few excursions already:

The Best of Portland & Kennebunkport - PW05

Best of Acadia National Park & Cadillac Mountain - BY02

U.S. Presidents - Kennedy and Adams - BX08

We wanted this cruise to be fairly relaxing and paced. Since the other two ports are in Canada and the reviews all say these ports are great to explore on foot we thought we would wait to book excursion, perhaps none at all and go enjoy them on foot...

We plan to do reservations at Chops probably twice (its a 9 night cruise). We really loved the Pinnacle on the Maasdam and hope it is similar on Royal...

This is our first time cruising with Royal so we are a bit nervous. Any advice or warning about Royal would be welcomed greatly.

Thanks again everyone!

Brad

We finally paid off out New England / Canada cruise. We are booked and ready to go!

We also booked a few excursions already:

The Best of Portland & Kennebunkport - PW05

Best of Acadia National Park & Cadillac Mountain - BY02

U.S. Presidents - Kennedy and Adams - BX08

We wanted this cruise to be fairly relaxing and paced. Since the other two ports are in Canada and the reviews all say these ports are great to explore on foot we thought we would wait to book excursion, perhaps none at all and go enjoy them on foot...

We plan to do reservations at Chops probably twice (its a 9 night cruise). We really loved the Pinnacle on the Maasdam and hope it is similar on Royal...

This is our first time cruising with Royal so we are a bit nervous. Any advice or warning about Royal would be welcomed greatly.

Thanks again everyone!

Brad

Sounds great to me !

You are going to have a wonderful time.

Tell me how you like Acadia National Park. My cruise next year goes there.

Archived