Yellow Fever vaccination to enter Uruguay?

CJcruzer

I read on another thread that Uruguay requires yellow fever vaccination - is this only for cruises or travel that includes Brazil as a stop? The post was on a SA post RIO to Valpraraiso --- however, our cruise originates in Buenos Aires and I will not be visiting or entering Brazil.....

I booked a ship's excursion in Montevideo which goes to Colonia....

No; you don't need a yellow fever vacination to enter Uruguay. Well, not normally anyway! The vacination is required (this is from my research last year) only if you have recently travelled to high risk places; which I think included the rain forest areas of brazil. If you are just cruising around SA then you almost certainly not need a vacination certificate.

Put it this way, we didn't get the shots and were admitted without a problem. Although montivedeo is not somewhere that would top my list of place to return... Unless grafitti and litter are your thing ;)

As mentioned you do not need a yellow fever vaccination just to enter Uruguay.

My recommendation is that you contact your cruise line to verify whether or not the itinerary you are sailing requires that you have a yellow fever vaccination. That way you will know for sure.

Keith

Acc to the CDC, Uruguay does require a YF cert if you have been in an endemic zone (shortly) prior to entry. Peru and Brasil, among others, contain endemic zones (as does AR I believe). As the custom offcial in Uruguay will not be able to tell what part of Brasil, Peru or AR you visited simply by examining your passport, technically he could require the YF cert. I recently cruised on RCL from Brasil to Uruguay and the cruise line did not require pax to have the YF cert. The Uruguayan custom officials did not ask for it. This is probably a concession on the part of Uruguay to the cruise cos for commercial expediency. I would be guided by what your cruise company tells you. If they are wrong, as happened in the case of a ship I was on years ago, they will be giving free YF shots in the infirmary.

Archived