any one just get ohe Pride last wek

pickypeg

We just got home from the 9/20 sailing. I tried to convince one of our waiters to hide me in his cabin, but sadly his contract is up in 3 weeks anyway.

Some of our photos are up in my Flickr - only some of them, though, as we decided against buying an Internet plan on board, so now we have to upload them all. We probably hit about 1000 photos and many hours of video.

I also have Capers, the shore excursion list for Canaveral/Nassau/Freeport, and the 9-11 Camp Carnival schedule - I didn't think to grab the rest of them, as both of our kids are in the 9-11 age group. I will be scanning those and adding them to our blog (link is in my signature).

If anyone has questions, just ask! :D

We were on the week of 9/13. It was great! We did the swim with the stingray's in Nassau and I would recommend it to everybody. First we all got in a swam around and snorkled for quite a while (they instruct you on everything), then they lined us all up and we fed them and when your squid was gone they gave you more and more, that seemed to last a long time and then they showed us how to hold them and we were all taking pictures. Then after that they said we could stay in the stingray area or go to the main beach and alot of us decided to stay there because it had the net to keep the stingrays in and "other" creatures out!

The ventriloquist was great, Jerry Goldsmith? I can't remember but he was great, Puck the comic/magician/hypnotist...sorry Puck, you weren't that good. (I felt bad for him because people were actually walking out.)

The shows were good, Kirk the cruise director was great!

Beware of the straw market in Nassau, those women are very pushy especially the one who came up to me and my husband, said we get a free necklace, put them on for us made a big deal out of it then demanded $5.00 each from us "for the children". Watch out for her! My husband paid her because he said later he didn't want any trouble.

Freeport wasn't as nice as Nassau, but the shopkeepers were nicer and the shops were cleaner. Lizards EVERYWHERE! OK, the taxi ride from the port to Port LaCaya to shop is only 5 dollars per person, they are right outside the port but they will not leave unil they have 10 people! If you don't want to wait they will take you for 27.00, it's not that hard to wait for ten people to go to Port LaCaya though, now, coming back to the port I recommend you go to the place the taxi dropped you off, there is another taxi stand BUT don;t go there. We did and they wouldn't leave until they had 10, ok, we sat for over 30 minutes and I told my husband we are in the wrong place, the driver overheard me and said no, this is the right place and he will take us if we want to go now for 27.00, we said no and I told my husb we need to go to the place we were dropped off so the driver says ok he will wait for obe more couple and take us for 15.00 per couple, I say no thanks and finally we get up to leave and this guy is following us saying ok he will take us for 10.00 each (do the math :-) so we go back to where we were dropped off and people were there waiting to go back. :-)

It seemed in Nassua they didn't want to barter but in Freeport they did.

TV reception was good, the three networks were working good...movies were good...food was great...eat some chocolate melting cake for me!

i JUST got back, it was pretty great... i'll be writing a review / posting photos and the like in the next few days...

a few notes, i suppose

- seas were relatively rough and the ship was rocking, on the first 2 sea days, then the last one... the morning of the last was the worst in my opinion

- cruise director kirk benning was great

- asst cruise director williams was pretty great too

- the first comedian, carl strong, was awesome - so funny - the second one, nuh uh.

- the new captain's party sucked hardcore... and i forgot about the 'farewell party' because i was affected enough by the rocking (not so on first day)

- the ship never seemed crowded, anywhere. and after 1AM, it was often a ghost town

- piano man richie is alright - but a good person if you get to know him

- piano man hrvatio (sp? we called him H) was AWESOME

- anytime dining ROCKS. definitely would recommend alfredo and riste

but yah, in a few days i'll get started with the review. i have some 2300 pictures to sort through - including pics of all the common areas, etc. with no people! (shot those at 2AM heh) ;)

Woo Hoo! So glad your all back! Can't wait to read your reviews and see your pics. I'm really interesting in know what you did in Port Canaveral. Hopefully, DH and I will make the 5/9/10 sailing.

The seas can be rough leaving from NY, so I'm not surprised it was rocky leaving from MD.

Woo Hoo! So glad your all back! Can't wait to read your reviews and see your pics. I'm really interesting in know what you did in Port Canaveral. Hopefully, DH and I will make the 5/9/10 sailing.

The seas can be rough leaving from NY, so I'm not surprised it was rocky leaving from MD.

@ port canaveral, most of us went to NASA. not my choice, but i went along. it was good to do once, learned a little and saw some neat stuff, but wouldn't do it again and probably wouldn't heartily recommend it to people that don't have a latent interest in space / science, etc. the kiddo in our group & an adult went to disney and enjoyed it. recommend that one through the cruise line, it's far and time intensive.

and yeah, sailing through the atlantic is definitely different than cruising from miami right to the caribbean. we hit a storm at one point, with 12' seas and 20+ mph winds (and this may have been higher at other points where i wasn't instructed the conditions) :eek: ... the narower beam width (vs say a destiny, conquest, etc.) also didn't help with the rocking, i think...

We were on the 09/13 sailing and we had smooth sailing with the exception of the last sea day. Even then the waves were only 5'. It was realllly windy the night before the last sea day. They even closed off the top deck in the front of the ship. The weather is the #1 factor in how much the boat will be rocking! Also, there was a lot of vibration in the back of the ship, David's Steakhouse was probably the worst. We did Cocoa Beach in Pt. Canaveral, Atlantis in Nassua, and Capt Tony Snorkel in Freeport. We REALLY enjoyed Kirk, he ranks up in my top 2 out of 6 cruises.

We have an aft balcony cabin on the Empress deck. :eek:

We were in cabin 5277 which is only a few cabins before the aft. The vibration wasn't terrible but it was noticable (I don't remember it on my last 5 cruises), even more so when the ship was over 20 knots.

and yeah, sailing through the atlantic is definitely different than cruising from miami right to the caribbean. we hit a storm at one point, with 12' seas and 20+ mph winds (and this may have been higher at other points where i wasn't instructed the conditions) :eek: ... the narower beam width (vs say a destiny, conquest, etc.) also didn't help with the rocking, i think...

At the crew Q&A on the last sea day, Kirk said about half of the sailings from Baltimore ran into seas like that. :eek: DH was out on the Lido taking pictures and the little glass tiles were popping off of the pool! So if anyone is prone to seasickness, be sure to take multiple remedies with you. I was ok with ginger Altoids, believe it or not, but we had to keep DD doped up on Dramamine (and it didn't help that both of them caught colds from one of the Camp counselors!).

@ port canaveral, most of us went to NASA. not my choice, but i went along. it was good to do once, learned a little and saw some neat stuff, but wouldn't do it again and probably wouldn't heartily recommend it to people that don't have a latent interest in space / science, etc. the kiddo in our group & an adult went to disney and enjoyed it. recommend that one through the cruise line, it's far and time intensive.

Falkcor, Can't wait to read your review, the rough seas appear to be hit or miss depending on what's going on when you cruise, sorry you had some rough ones....bring on the review in detail!

Falkcor, Can't wait to read your review, the rough seas appear to be hit or miss depending on what's going on when you cruise, sorry you had some rough ones....bring on the review in detail!

well buckle up, and stay tuned, it gets started tonight! :D

Archived