On the occurence on the Legend... in John's words...

*Mach*

It's the potty humor that makes me cringe. Sometimes he just goes over the line. Not really that interested in hearing about the poo and pee. :o

But most of the time he is very funny so I still read the blog and accept that sometimes I am going to just move on quickly.

I have only read his blog one other time before this thread....I don't think I am missing much if this is his manner. But whatever..if he thinks he is funny...and some others seem to worship him...then so be it:confused:

The only thing though is, as an experienced captain, he does know and is expected to know how wind can affect his ship. This storm did not just pop out of thin air; they have all kinds of weather radar, weather faxes, the internet, a window, that will notify him that a storm was about to hit. I don't know what was going on that bridge at the time but most experienced captains know that it's not a good idea to be pulling away from dock when a storm is about to hit... especially a storm that is going to hit you broadside.

Bottom line is, the captain made a mistake and now has to answer for it. It will be up to corporate as to what they plan to do about it.

Storms can pop up with little to no radar warning, happens all the time in humid conditions. I don't think its fair from thousands of miles away to judge what happened unless you have the actual facts that happened on the ground, er sea (weather reports, talking to the captain, crew of both ships, etc., ship data recordings if available).

The only thing though is, as an experienced captain, he does know and is expected to know how wind can affect his ship. This storm did not just pop out of thin air; they have all kinds of weather radar, weather faxes, the internet, a window, that will notify him that a storm was about to hit. I don't know what was going on that bridge at the time but most experienced captains know that it's not a good idea to be pulling away from dock when a storm is about to hit... especially a storm that is going to hit you broadside.

Bottom line is, the captain made a mistake and now has to answer for it. It will be up to corporate as to what they plan to do about it.

Having been a pilot for the last 35 plus years I can assure you that storms can grow from being mildly interesting to being severe in minutes.

I recall a storm developing so rapidly that it was rising faster than the T-38 could climb.

I'm not saying that was the case in this instance but only that storms are not static... they're highly dynamic and can intensify or dissipate unexpectedly.

:)

I adore all the armchair ship's captains in this thread. Fantastic. Y'all should read up on some true nautical disasters before you start drawing and quartering this captain. If it was so easy to command, navigate, and operate a cruise ship, any idiot could do it and no special licensing would be required. And this would have been a helluva lot worse than a little brush and rub.

I would hardly say that Carnival had everything "under control". They hit another ship:eek:. Would not be surprised to see the captain relieved of his duties shortly (and rightly so).

Bottomline is the captain screwed up. Period.

They did not hit another ship, they rubbed another ship. It's pretty much the same as tapping your neighbor's bumper when they're parked in front of you on the street. You act as if there is major structural damage to the hull. This was just some pritty work getting uglied up.

I know that John's blogs are sacred but.....the sexual inuendo definitely has lowered my opinion his blog. Just my feelings and that's all....I guess I expect to much.

If you call THAT sexual inNuendo, what are you doing on THESE boards where things get pretty flagrant?

Storms can pop up with little to no radar warning, happens all the time in humid conditions. I don't think its fair from thousands of miles away to judge what happened unless you have the actual facts that happened on the ground, er sea (weather reports, talking to the captain, crew of both ships, etc., ship data recordings if available).
My judgment is based on what I see in those pictures and video and I said I did not know what was going on the bridge at that time. Obviously a mistake was made or they would not have run into Enchantment, and if the storm did pop up without warning, which will definitely help the captain during the investigation. Although that storm didn't look to me like it just popped up... it looked like a squall line, a lot like jetskier's photo. You can bet that if a claim is made by either cruise line, the insurance companies will also do an investigation on the accident and will be making a judgment on whom or what is to blame. If they come back and say yes, the storm popped up out of thin air caused this accident, then that should bode well for the captain of Legend.

Having been a pilot for the last 35 plus years I can assure you that storms can grow from being mildly interesting to being severe in minutes.

I recall a storm developing so rapidly that it was rising faster than the T-38 could climb.

I'm not saying that was the case in this instance but only that storms are not static... they're highly dynamic and can intensify or dissipate unexpectedly.

:)

I agree that storms can turn on and off very quickly. I'm not a professional weather anything but I do go boating on the Chesapeake Bay pretty regularly and I have seen storms coming directly at me from a mile or two away only to dissipate before it gets to me. Although I don't think ever seem a storm just appear overhead without any kind of warning whatsoever... not to say it is impossible, they do have to start somewhere.

Hopefully there will be an investigation into the cause of this accident and it will be made public quickly. I'm very curious now as to the true cause of this accident. :)

Hopefully there will be an investigation into the cause of this accident and it will be made public quickly. I'm very curious now as to the true cause of this accident. :)

My guess of the "true cause", based on eye-witness reports, would be the WIND:rolleyes:

My guess of the "true cause", based on eye-witness reports, would be the WIND:rolleyes:
Perhaps had the captain not set for sea during a wind storm, the ship would not have blown into Enchantment and therefore a negligent captain would be determined to be the cause. Perhaps there was a mechanical problem with the ship which made it impossible for the ship to be navigated. Therefore, mechanical failure would be the cause. Etc etc etc...

Thanks Mach we appreciate getting the facts....one question though. Do you think John put on trousers before he went up, or did he go in his underpants?

Could you imagine if the wind got a hold of those? :eek:

Yes, I'd like to know that too.

How did the Cpt find himself in a situation like this?

I am a flight attndnt and hear all of the emergency warnings being pre-flighted every day. Many of them deal specifically to wind and windshear. I can't imagine how the Cpt could get into this situation with no warning. As is the case in many plane crash, it is often pilot error. It happens, that's just the way the world works, and I wonder if that is the case here.

Regardless, I looooove CCL and can't wait for my next cruise in April! I wish that crew the best.

Those winds were pretty strong. It is amazing what wind can do. It moved the ship against the efforts of the engines/propellers, or whatever moves a ship.

A storm system of this magnitude normally does not just appear. I thought there was a way to follow the weather and predict to a degree when it might be hazardous to operate a ship. I know that I don't really know much about this, or about sea conditions. Or operating a ship. So I am not trying to second guess the captain, I am just surprised at how this caught them off guard.

I'm glad everybody is safe.

They did not hit another ship, they rubbed another ship. It's pretty much the same as tapping your neighbor's bumper when they're parked in front of you on the street. You act as if there is major structural damage to the hull. This was just some pritty work getting uglied up.

That statement is almost as ridiculous as Whoopi Golberg saying Roman Polanski didn't commit "rape-rape".

No matter how much the Carnival cheerleaders want to sugar coat it the bottom line is the captain allowed the Legend to hit another ship.

I'd say the first thing in the Captain's job description is "Don't hit other ships".

That statement is almost as ridiculous as Whoopi Golberg saying Roman Polanski didn't commit "rape-rape".

No matter how much the Carnival cheerleaders want to sugar coat it the bottom line is the captain allowed the Legend to hit another ship.

I'd say the first thing in the Captain's job description is "Don't hit other ships".

Comparing this to Whoopie Goldberg's statement about Roman Plansky is ludicrous.

Allowed? You are truly reaching here. When was the last time you were a Captain of a ship? When was the last time you saw the job description of a Captain? The answer to both, you never have. When and if you ever Captain a ship, then come back and let us know how that went :rolleyes:

ahhh, thank you. I was waiting for someone to jump on this. I love carnival, but had to laugh when someone said, "no, they dudn't collide, they just bumped uglies".....Is that a technical term? So now we have, bumping uglies, rubbing and brushing, etc, etc.

They DID hit. LOL. If you are in a car and you ran into someone with your bumper, but left no marks, YOU STILL HIT THEM.

Wow, talk about a bad analogy. I won't even go off on how inappropriate your choice of comparisons is.

That's be great, if the ships were on dry land and not in water, with the effects of tides and winds working on them. But hey, if you want to believe it, live the dream!

ahhh, thank you. I was waiting for someone to jump on this. I love carnival, but had to laugh when someone said, "no, they dudn't collide, they just bumped uglies".....Is that a technical term? So now we have, bumping uglies, rubbing and brushing, etc, etc.

They DID hit. LOL. If you are in a car and you ran into someone with your bumper, but left no marks, YOU STILL HIT THEM.

You *do* realize that captaining a vessel the size of a cruise ship is not the equivalent of driving a car, right? You can't just throw a cruise ship into a dead stop, due to the fact that it's not on dry land but rather in water and it's means of propulsion is vastly different than that of a motor vehicle. Furthermore, the effects of tides and winds play a major part in how a ship moves through the water.

Call me a cheerleader all you want, but the fact remains that it wouldn't matter what line this was on, this sort of thing happens to ships in tight anchorages.

Weather can spring up in Cozumel quickly. Here is a photo I took in Oct 2006 right before we did a dive. The south end of the island got rain while the north end did not receive any.

cozumel.jpg

man, that picture pretty much sums up my wife's disposition when she found out about my girl friend...:eek:

Archived