On the occurence on the Legend... in John's words...

*Mach*

You *do* realize that captaining a vessel the size of a cruise ship is not the equivalent of driving a car, right? You can't just throw a cruise ship into a dead stop, due to the fact that it's not on dry land but rather in water and it's means of propulsion is vastly different than that of a motor vehicle. Furthermore, the effects of tides and winds play a major part in how a ship moves through the water.

It still doesn't change the fact that they "hit"......as Thedingo was trying to point out..........

Allowed? You are truly reaching here. When was the last time you were a Captain of a ship? When was the last time you saw the job description of a Captain? The answer to both, you never have. When and if you ever Captain a ship, then come back and let us know how that went :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly.

It still doesn't change the fact that they "hit"......as Thedingo was trying to point out..........

Exactly, and I think the Carnival safety people boarding that John alluded to in his blog will be tasked with collecting facts, etc. I would assume Carnival, as all large corportations do, will have a thorough investigation to ensure all processes and procedures were followed. Any lessons learned would probably then be incorporated into their training or retraining for those involved.

The normal process improvements that occur after issues like this happen. At least I hope all that is taking place as part of the due diligence that is expected from a situation like this. I'd worry if any company would ignore the opportunity to learn from a situation in which an accident occurred. The fact that "mother nature" was involved is totally irrelevant. If we used that logic we never would have the improvements in airline safety with wind shear indicators, etc.

I have only read his blog one other time before this thread....I don't think I am missing much if this is his manner. But whatever..if he thinks he is funny...and some others seem to worship him...then so be it:confused:

I don't worship anything but as a 78 year old white woman; I do think John is deligthful.

I am a flight attndnt and hear all of the emergency warnings being pre-flighted every day. Many of them deal specifically to wind and windshear. I can't imagine how the Cpt could get into this situation with no warning. .

Being a flight attendant certainly makes you more knowledgeable on the subject of wind shear that I'll ever be, but I have to wonder...weather conditions can and do change drastically fast all the time. Isn't that why people die in tornadoes?? Isn't it possible that they didn't realize the strength/scope of this thing?

I believe that people usually die in tornadoes due to injuries attained by debris being strown about in the tornado itself. Often times not heeding the warnings that they have been given (how do you think all those tornado videos get on you tube:D, but I digress).

Growing up in Texas (Galveston county) and dealing with my share of hurricanes and tornadoes I can say that there is always a fair amount of warning given. On the TV, Radio and Emergency sirens that blare throughout town. It IS possible that the people do not realize the strength of a tornado, but it isn't possible that a trained meteorologist (or trained CPT) would believe that a tornado would not be dangerous.

I think I just confused myself. Hopefully you get what I am trying to say...

Oh, Also I don't believe that the CPT would lose his job over this, and I don't think he should. I DO think that it will be helpful in the prevention of future run-ins.

Also, time will tell on this investigation and the results should be made public so we will all have our answers. What is the marine equivilant to the FAA

Being a flight attendant certainly makes you more knowledgeable on the subject of wind shear that I'll ever be, but I have to wonder...weather conditions can and do change drastically fast all the time. Isn't that why people die in tornadoes?? Isn't it possible that they didn't realize the strength/scope of this thing?

Let me just say that as a Licensed 100T/100Mile near coastal pilot I have learned that when at sea you can anticipate and prepare for weather anomalies but you can never predict. Operating here in New England waters our weather is constantly changing. Every trip we conduct a risk assessment and make our best educated judgement to protect the safety of those on board the vessel.

You people that are throwing the captain under the bus are out of line; were on the bridge? were you on the island? Do you know the strength of those winds? are you experienced mariners? No.

Seriously what is wrong with you people?

Stop being so judgmental and be thankful no one was hurt!

and if you are perfect then continue to blather away about how much the captain screwed up.

It's all specultaion, and I think that everyone knows that. It's okay to give opinions on this board, that's what it's all about. I think it's fun to listen to what everyone thinks may have happened whether I agree with it or not.

Let me just say that as a Licensed 100T/100Mile near coastal pilot I have learned that when at sea you can anticipate and prepare for weather anomalies but you can never predict. Operating here in New England waters our weather is constantly changing. Every trip we conduct a risk assessment and make our best educated judgement to protect the safety of those on board the vessel.

You people that are throwing the captain under the bus are out of line; were on the bridge? were you on the island? Do you know the strength of those winds? are you experienced mariners? No.

Seriously what is wrong with you people?

Stop being so judgmental and be thankful no one was hurt!

and if you are perfect then continue to blather away about how much the captain screwed up.

I am on the Legend and was on deck 3 in the Photo Gallery during the incident. I don't really care if I get flamed, but I find John's description of the incident not only inaccurate, but offensive.

First of all, the storm was clearly visible and very threatening before we left the dock.

Secondly, there was no warning from the cruise director before the incident. We were attempting to purchase photos on the port side of the Photo Gallery when we heard very loud crunching, popping noises and glass shattering. We thought a woman had fallen into the glass and we along with a crew member went to check on her. Then we heard louder crunching and popping and the crew member yelled "Run to the other side of the ship!" That's when we realized that we had hit another ship. We ran up 6 flights of stairs to check on our children who were eating with the kids club. We were afraid to use the elevators because we had no idea how much damage had been done. After checking on our kids and looking at the Enchantment from a much closer view than we ever wanted, the cruise director announced that the Captain was having difficulty maneuvering the ship and all on the port side should move to the middle of the ship. Only a few of the passengers moved and the crew did not enforce the cruise director's request.

The point is that it was not handled appropriately and the description John gave was from the bridge, not from the 2nd or 3rd deck where the damage occurred. This incident was very traumatic for some and as a representative of Carnival, I would think that he would show some respect for passengers rather than writing an inaccurate account in order to protect Carnival's image.

I am thankful that the damage wasn't more severe and that my children on the 9th deck were totally oblivious to the incident. I have no intention of attempting to obtain any compensation as we have enjoyed the majority of the cruise. However, I will NEVER feel that the incident was managed as it should have been by Carnival and I think John's blog post adds to the lack of professionalism we witnessed during the incident.

It's all specultaion, and I think that everyone knows that. It's okay to give opinions on this board, that's what it's all about. I think it's fun to listen to what everyone thinks may have happened whether I agree with it or not.

Yes I agree,,, I just have little patience for the foolishness I guess.. Sometimes I think people argue just for the sake of it! ugh

I am on the Legend and was on deck 3 in the Photo Gallery during the incident. I don't really care if I get flamed, but I find John's description of the incident not only inaccurate, but offensive.

First of all, the storm was clearly visible and very threatening before we left the dock.

Secondly, there was no warning from the cruise director before the incident. We were attempting to purchase photos on the port side of the Photo Gallery when we heard very loud crunching, popping noises and glass shattering. We thought a woman had fallen into the glass and we along with a crew member went to check on her. Then we heard louder crunching and popping and the crew member yelled "Run to the other side of the ship!" That's when we realized that we had hit another ship. We ran up 6 flights of stairs to check on our children who were eating with the kids club. We were afraid to use the elevators because we had no idea how much damage had been done. After checking on our kids and looking at the Enchantment from a much closer view than we ever wanted, the cruise director announced that the Captain was having difficulty maneuvering the ship and all on the port side should move to the middle of the ship. Only a few of the passengers moved and the crew did not enforce the cruise director's request.

The point is that it was not handled appropriately and the description John gave was from the bridge, not from the 2nd or 3rd deck where the damage occurred. This incident was very traumatic for some and as a representative of Carnival, I would think that he would show some respect for passengers rather than writing an inaccurate account in order to protect Carnival's image.

I am thankful that the damage wasn't more severe and that my children on the 9th deck were totally oblivious to the incident. I have no intention of attempting to obtain any compensation as we have enjoyed the majority of the cruise. However, I will NEVER feel that the incident was managed as it should have been by Carnival and I think John's blog post adds to the lack of professionalism we witnessed during the incident.

Good to have a first hand personal account. Although, I'm sure you will be flamed and pummelled by some. No doubt some will shortly be asking for video proof of your attendance. And, of course, your low posting number will most likely invalidate your opinion as that also many times seems to be factor in the worthiness of your opinion. Also expect that someone will also label you a "troll" ......You have attacked the veracity of John Heald, the true Carnival God, oh my.................

Good to have a first hand personal account. Although, I'm sure you will be flamed and pummelled by some. No doubt some will shortly be asking for video proof of your attendance. And, of course, your low posting number will most likely invalidate your opinion as that also many times seems to be factor in the worthiness of your opinion. Also expect that someone will also label you a "troll" ......You have attacked the veracity of John Heald, the true Carnival God, oh my.................

Thanks for the warning. No worries, I've read enough posts on the boards to realize that I will be doubted and I'll try not to let it bother me.

About the storm...my husband is not the cautious type and he commented on the storm several times before we left Cozumel. Even saying "I can't believe we're going to sail right into that thing!" Me being a loyal cruise critic reader, I had my binoculars focused on the people who were late getting back to the ship. :D

When was the last time you were a Captain of a ship? When was the last time you saw the job description of a Captain? The answer to both, you never have. When and if you ever Captain a ship, then come back and let us know how that went :rolleyes:

I've never played major league baseball but I know when an outfielder drops a fly ball he screwed up. I don't have to be a captain of a ship to know that Hazelwood screwed up when he ran the Exxon Valdez aground.

Maybe you can't see a screw up when it is right in front of your face but I can.

So there ya go.......they didn't just bump as John said.......they crashed......

Thanks for posting:)

Actually, the lady said her children on deck 9 were oblivious to the incident. The impact wasn't strong enough to shatter the windows in the OV cabins either. I'd call it a fender bender ;)

Logging off now to enjoy the rest of the cruise. I've spent way too much money on internet minutes and feel much better now that I've spoken up after reading his blog this morning.

Also, my children were oblivious because they are 6 and 7 and have confidence in their parents' ability to keep them out of harm's way. My report to them was that we "had a little bump with another ship" and that's all they need to know for now.

I've never played major league baseball but I know when an outfielder drops a fly ball he screwed up. I don't have to be a captain of a ship to know that Hazelwood screwed up when he ran the Exxon Valdez aground.

Maybe you can't see a screw up when it is right in front of your face but I can.

Well, while I agree that a review should take place to determine potential error, I think using Hazlewood as an example is a big stretch. As you know, it was determined that he was well lubricated with vodka, sleeping and turned over the helm to less qualified staff or so I recall. So, unless its determined this captains judgement was proven to be impaired by alcohol think we have a different situation.

Logging off now to enjoy the rest of the cruise. I've spent way too much money on internet minutes and feel much better now that I've spoken up after reading his blog this morning.

Also, my children were oblivious because they are 6 and 7 and have confidence in their parents' ability to keep them out of harm's way. My report to them was that we "had a little bump with another ship" and that's all they need to know for now.

Enjoy! hopefully the remainder will be less "eventfull"!

Thank you and I think you sound VERY genuine. There is no doubt that CCL personnel will be on damage control and making much less of the event than what many passengers remember. That is frustrating. Anyhow, thanks for sharing and I am glad everyone is well!

Thanks for the warning. No worries, I've read enough posts on the boards to realize that I will be doubted and I'll try not to let it bother me.

About the storm...my husband is not the cautious type and he commented on the storm several times before we left Cozumel. Even saying "I can't believe we're going to sail right into that thing!" Me being a loyal cruise critic reader, I had my binoculars focused on the people who were late getting back to the ship. :D

Thanks for posting, CruisnKs. Have a great time during the remainder of your cruise. Glad no one was seriously injured and both ships were able to continue on their voyage.:)

Archived