On the occurence on the Legend... in John's words...

*Mach*

I would hardly say that Carnival had everything "under control". They hit another ship:eek:. Would not be surprised to see the captain relieved of his duties shortly (and rightly so).

Bottomline is the captain screwed up. Period.

For real? I cannot imagine a captain being fired because of one incident. I would imagine that his record would probably be reviewed to see if there is a trend in his mistakes. If this is a one time, or unusual mistake I certainly do not think he deserves to lose his position.

"The guests have been amazing and so far we have received only one negative comment from a guest who feels they deserve compensation for this………..they have no injuries, no damage to their cabin or possessions……….but they feel that some money is due them.

Unfortunatly we see this almost daily at the hotel here...someone who believes they have an opportunity to get something for nothing...gross people really

I would hardly say that Carnival had everything "under control". They hit another ship:eek:. Would not be surprised to see the captain relieved of his duties shortly (and rightly so).

Hmm.. in my company (utility) when there is an accident the first thing we do is send everyone involved for a "fit for duty" test. I would think there is a similar requirement. Unless there was a "fit for duty" problem or the captain had a terrible record I can't see why a seasoned employee would be terminated. Even if it was a mistake. There is no such thing as an employee who hasn't made a mistake.

This almost happened to us on the Oct. 2, 2005 sailing of the Carnival Conquest in Grand Cayman. We were being pushed against the Carnival Valor in a severe storm. I have the pictures to prove how close we actually came to hitting the other ship. Some of the crew members could not get back on the ship from the tender because the water was so rough, so the Conquest had to sail out into deeper water where it was not as rough in order to get the crew back on the ship. It was memorable indeed. We leave on the Legend in a mere 10 days, and I'm looking forward to it. Let's just hope that they have the kinks worked out and there is a contingency plan in place for "next time."

Those winds were pretty strong. It is amazing what wind can do. It moved the ship against the efforts of the engines/propellers, or whatever moves a ship.

A storm system of this magnitude normally does not just appear. I thought there was a way to follow the weather and predict to a degree when it might be hazardous to operate a ship. I know that I don't really know much about this, or about sea conditions. Or operating a ship. So I am not trying to second guess the captain, I am just surprised at how this caught them off guard.

I'm glad everybody is safe.

Severe storms like this can and do pop up like this out of nowhere. Living in the Ohio Valley in late spring/early summer when the humidity really begins to rise, storms form basically right above you often quickly becoming severe with high winds, hail and sometimes spawning tornado's. I don't know if this is the case with yesterday's storm but I could see how it could pop up out of no where.

I love Carnival, everything was under control and no one was hurt. A perfect ending to what could have been a terrible tragedy.
Yeah, totally under control. Right up to the point where they ran into the other ship! I'll bet that captain never tries to leave port again without checking his radar first.

Severe storms like this can and do pop up like this out of nowhere. Living in the Ohio Valley in late spring/early summer when the humidity really begins to rise, storms form basically right above you often quickly becoming severe with high winds, hail and sometimes spawning tornado's. I don't know if this is the case with yesterday's storm but I could see how it could pop up out of no where.

Yeah, you are right about that. I have seen storms come up in Chicago too. I just didn't realize how quick it could happen. It is amazing what it did to the Triumph.

I don't think the crew should be disciplined. I suspect they did their best. If they had not, there would have been some serious damage done to both ships. And maybe some injuries.

Yeah, you are right about that. I have seen storms come up in Chicago too. I just didn't realize how quick it could happen. It is amazing what it did to the Triumph.

I don't think the crew should be disciplined. I suspect they did their best. If they had not, there would have been some serious damage done to both ships. And maybe some injuries.

I was at Kings Island a few years ago and it was a nice sunny day, got in line for the Beast and it was sunny, clouded up by the time the ride started and before we got up the first hill a Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued. Lightning at 65 mph on a coaster looks a lot different and as a bald man, hard rain, winds and hail at those speeds does not make for a fun ride.

The effects of inertia and weather are difficult to control. Last winter I ran into my house after driving 28 miles on ice only to not realize that my driveway that goes downhill was a sheet of ice. The way it sounds the wind had a similar effect on the Legend.

I'm sure Carnival will do an investigation on the captain but for those who are calling for him to be fired when they weren't on the ship is uncalled for.

They didn't hit another ship - they bumped uglies, if you please.

Enchantment has its own history. If RCCL relieved their captains guilty of similar behavior, they would have none left. ;)

Reference to the shopping expert was made on John's blog earlier this week. Basically, her show ran over into BINGO time which gets a lot of folks bent out of shape. Plus, she asked folks to visit her "table" outside the theater to obtain vip shopping cards. Well, this created a rather long line and people had to wait. John made suggestions to change this procedure. That's how, I think, Dominica, was thrown under the bus. No biggy. Hopefully, John's observations can make improvements in process as he's been on more cruises than any of us! :)

Yeah well I wasn't on the Titanic either but I can still say the Captain screwed up there too.

I'm sure that most of us would like to believe that a human being could be in control of this situation...and of course we are to a certain point. But Mother Nature is always gonna be able to beat us, no matter how smart and efficient we are OR how large our ship is.

This accident sucks for sure...but I see wonder and amazement that wind could take a ship that big and push it, despite thrusters going full-speed to try to prevent it from crashing into the other ship.

freaking amazing and definitely humbling imo.

I know that John's blogs are sacred but.....the sexual inuendo definitely has lowered my opinion his blog. Just my feelings and that's all....I guess I expect to much.

British humour........ever watch Monty Python? :cool:

Dave

I'm sure that most of us would like to believe that a human being could be in control of this situation...and of course we are to a certain point. But Mother Nature is always gonna be able to beat us, no matter how smart and efficient we are OR how large our ship is.

This accident sucks for sure...but I see wonder and amazement that wind could take a ship that big and push it, despite thrusters going full-speed to try to prevent it from crashing into the other ship.

The only thing though is, as an experienced captain, he does know and is expected to know how wind can affect his ship. This storm did not just pop out of thin air; they have all kinds of weather radar, weather faxes, the internet, a window, that will notify him that a storm was about to hit. I don't know what was going on that bridge at the time but most experienced captains know that it's not a good idea to be pulling away from dock when a storm is about to hit... especially a storm that is going to hit you broadside.

Bottom line is, the captain made a mistake and now has to answer for it. It will be up to corporate as to what they plan to do about it.

How about that ship that was DOCKED that was blown away breaking its mooring!

4 People ended up in the water. I wonder who they breatholized then!

Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4M0Z_nbVk&feature=player_embedded#

Video here:

I've seen that one before...amazing and frightening because like I said, we'd all like to believe that stuff l;ike this shouldn't happen because we have experienced captains and navigation systems.

Mother Nature just laughs at all our technology.

We are small and weak and not too bright in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes nature just gives us a gentle reminder ;)

I was in Cozumel Wednesday, on Imagination. We got back from downtown just after it happened. Really lucky it was not worse than it was.

Yes. maybe the captain should be commended for keeping the damage to a minimum, instead of being bashed by people who have NO clue about ships and weather conditions.

Weather can spring up in Cozumel quickly. Here is a photo I took in Oct 2006 right before we did a dive. The south end of the island got rain while the north end did not receive any.

cozumel.jpg

Your picture reminds me of being in Bermuda on Horseshoe Bay. We were enjoying a sun filled morning when this sudden cold air came from behind us. Turned around and saw as black a cloud as in your picture. We ran for cover.

The next morning, I was on board, and something was coming at us from the right:

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

And just when I thought it was missing us, we were hit so bad, the rain felt like bullets flying horizontally.

It ended as quickly as we started, and luckily we didn't pull the dock away from the island.

Video here:

No, you have it all wrong. It wasn't an Act of God. It was the captain's fault for not ensuring the lines were appropriately fastened. Didn't you read the posts above?:rolleyes:

I know that John's blogs are sacred but.....the sexual inuendo definitely has lowered my opinion his blog. Just my feelings and that's all....I guess I expect to much.

It's the potty humor that makes me cringe. Sometimes he just goes over the line. Not really that interested in hearing about the poo and pee. :o

But most of the time he is very funny so I still read the blog and accept that sometimes I am going to just move on quickly.

Archived