Veranda Balcony Question

ricok987

Hi all,

I am booked aboard the HAL Westerdam 3/7/09 Southern Carribbean Sailing and have a Veranda Cabin question.

Some background: I origionally booked this cruise as a single cruiser inside gaurantee for $1,200 but have since got a friend to go along with me. I discussed my options of adding the 2nd person to my room VS upgrading to a Veranda Balcony Stateroom (lowest price point ones). I was told that these cabins are in the front of the ship with solid-non see through balconies that the ocean would only be visable standing, and not visable seated.

My question: does anyone have any experience with these cabins and be able to let me know if this is a big deal? The best cabin I ever had was one with 2 porthole windows so I can't imagine a downside.

Any input would be appreciated as I am waiting for my friend's next credit card cycle next month to add them to my booking.

Thanks

Well, if you like to sit on your verandah for long periods and see what's out on the water these VF/VH cabins would not be good for you. If you mainly like to pop outside for the fresh air, or eat out there, and don't mind standing at the rail to view scenery they're fine. In fact, for eating they're a little better than VA/VB/VC cabins, as they are 1.5 ft deeper.

Thanks for the comments. My agent told me the cabin code was VC so it would be on Deck 5. Interesting-I think my friend might like the fact that it is not see through. But, to me any balcony would be better than my previous cruise cabins.

Thanks for the comments. My agent told me the cabin code was VC so it would be on Deck 5. Interesting-I think my friend might like the fact that it is not see through. But, to me any balcony would be better than my previous cruise cabins.

Actually, the VC staterooms are on Deck 5 so they are all see through smoked plexiglass. Beautiful to sit on the verandah and watch the world cruise by. :)

The only steel balconies are the VH and VF baconies on Deck 4. Your TA seems to be a bit confused!

While the category price may be the cheapest for the VH/VF, it is sometimes possible to get a guarantee. You then may or may not be upgraded to above that category, eliminating the issue of the steel balcony rail. I would choose this option or pay the additional for the VE plus...

Nice to have such choices and that you will have company on your cruise!!!

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I called HAL Customer Service and was able to add a person to my room, and change the class to VF-Guarantee. Now I wait my sail date to find out what cabin I get. I know I will be on at least Deck #4, but there are several VF's on Deck 5 too. I am excited about this since I never have been in a room with a bigger than porthole view, and my travel partner has never even sailed at all! To me-this is great and now I can't wait for the cruise!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I am leaving on Maasdam for 28 days Nov. 6...just got Cabin 502 assigned yesterday.....I have been searching for anyone who knows anything about this cabin and came up with your CC review from Jan 09....I had booked gty HH (fully obstructed) so figured whatever we got at least there would be daylight!!! I have called HAL and asked if this cabin is suitable for 2 senior ladies...but they don't seem to know the layout of the cabin. Just told me that ship is full and they are sure it will be fine....Could you please tell me the layout of the cabin...I once saw a similar cabin on Volendam and when the bed was split in 2 you couldn't open the door to the hall!!

Any info you could give me would be really appreciated...what about the portholes....I can't see that this H category could possibly be an upgrade from the HH...it looks really small on the deck plan. Would it be possible to move the furniture around?

Thanks for any info you can give me....I have sailed on 5 HAL ships and the only cabin I have ever heard anyone complain about was the one with portholes on the Volendam....Also, this looks as though it is right under the promenade corner.....did you hear people walking above you really early in the morning???

I'm hoping you will put my mind a little at ease....The lady travelling with me has never sailed HAL and I talked her into it...28 days will be VERY long if we are both unhappy with the cabin.

Thanks,

Jane Parish

Hi,

I've been in one of those cabins with the steel railings and I hated it and won't do it again. When I am sitting on the balcony I like to see the water.

Hated it! Hated it!

Save even more money and just get a room with a square window, it's the same thing!

I want to see what's going on out there, even if it's a sea turtle or flying fish.

Well, if you like to sit on your verandah for long periods and see what's out on the water these VF/VH cabins would not be good for you. If you mainly like to pop outside for the fresh air, or eat out there, and don't mind standing at the rail to view scenery they're fine. In fact, for eating they're a little better than VA/VB/VC cabins, as they are 1.5 ft deeper.

Are you perhaps thinking of the VD cabins on Deck 4? Those balconies are about a foot & a half deeper than the other balconies, as they stick out further.

The 4 VH cabins at the very front of the ship, also on Deck 4, actually have very small balconies, since they are angled towards the bow.

And ALL of the VF balconies on Deck 4 have the steel wall and start that slight angle towards the bow. But to someone who has always had an inside cabin, or one w/just a porthole, this might be fabulous. The VF cabins on Deck 5, at the same price point, have the plexi wall.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Westerdam

This is the link to HAL's website, the Westerdam page. On the left, click on deckplans. Looks like the OP has a chance for a VF on deck 5, or to be upgraded. Good luck! :)

Are you perhaps thinking of the VD cabins on Deck 4? Those balconies are about a foot & a half deeper than the other balconies, as they stick out further.
No. The VF cabins on deck 4 are also 7.5 ft deep, and stick out just like the VDs. However, you are are correct that I should have specified that this does not apply to the VH that I included in the first sentence.

Archived