Live Review of Silver Shadow LA Roundtrip

cmhmarine

I still have not figured out why every pool chair has a towel and book on it but no one ever sits in it and they are most certianly not at the bar getting a drink or taking a dip.

God forbid I have to get my own towel? A towel on a chair doesn't mean it's occupied. It's their routine procedure to place a towel when setting up the pool deck. Don't know about books. Sounds strange.

Hi Simon! I think the intent of it is, a person claims that chair as their own, meaning, they leave a towel and a book there at 8am, don't come back to the chair until noon, go have something to eat, come back at 4, and generally take up the space all day.

I'm a bit bummed. I thought on a nice ship like Silversea, guests wouldn't be pulling this trick.

Jane

Have occasionally had this problem in the past when the ship is full - though only in the shade. Solution: mention it to one of the senior staff. That evening, there was a note in the Chronicles (only repeating what is already in the Welcome Aboard booklet). Next day, no problem -- a combination (I think) of slightly greater passenger compliance on a small ship and deck staff empowered to tidy up abandoned books.

Hi Simon! I think the intent of it is, a person claims that chair as their own, meaning, they leave a towel and a book there at 8am, don't come back to the chair until noon, go have something to eat, come back at 4, and generally take up the space all day.

I'm a bit bummed. I thought on a nice ship like Silversea, guests wouldn't be pulling this trick.

Jane

They pull this trick on ALL the lines, although its refreshing to see when they enforce the rules... (i.e. the selfish passenger comes back- looks for said book and lounge- sees book at pool bar and lounge occupied) :D

Host Dan

Since more than 80% of Silversea cabins have private balconies (I know, it can be on the "wrong "side of the ship that day), those balconies are the most comfortable, convenient and private open space. So, on the opposite, if one likes the pool deck so much, and plan on staying there day after day, why pay 25% more to get a verandah instead of a vista suite?

Many posts on the chair hog issue I am sure. Personally, I agree with Wripro. If I want a particular location and a chair is occupied or appears to be with a book, glasses, or some such, I sit elsewhere and wait for no more than 30 minutes. If no one returns to that chair and I still want it, I take the belongings to the bar and make myself comfortable.

I wish more people would exercise this "30 minute" rule. It is a reasonable time to wait. If the occupier has gone to lunch or elsewhere, well, that person can get a new chair when they return. :confused:

Do they also have grilled maha mahe (fish) at the poolside grill? Presumably (from the Silversea blog), they are going to have (self) "stone grilling" of various meats, fish, scallops, lobster tails and king crab legs at the new poolside restaurant on the newbuild Spirit, or am I "reading too much" into those blogs?

Interestingn concept, wonder how practical it will be outside.

God forbid I have to get my own towel? A towel on a chair doesn't mean it's occupied. It's their routine procedure to place a towel when setting up the pool deck. Don't know about books. Sounds strange.

refferring to ones that look "occupied"

dinner in Le Champange last night was amazing. It is truly an experience to be savoured and enjoyed. The menu was the "best of Burgandy" and marcello and his staff

did a wonderful job. The food was different here than the other dining venus, and well worth the charge to me. My dining group opted for a couple bottles or white and red

instead of the degustation menu, but I am sure we would hae been happy with either way. The wine was excellent.

I have been on an art tour with michael judge and his wife who are delightful and have see some interesting works. My personal favorites were a miro and matisse.

I have experienced the ATV tour in Manzanillo which was very good. I most enjoyed riding on the beach and sand dunes.

The buffet in La T for lunch has become my favorite.

I am enjoying reading your feed. But perhaps it has come to an abrupt stop due to your aforementioned distraction? Incidently, I will be occupying Vista suite 434 on the February 7th voyage to Tahiti. What condition is it in? I too am travelling solo. Have you noticed any solo diners in Le Champagne? Enjoy.

Have you noticed any solo diners in Le Champagne? Enjoy.

I'm interested to know this also. After reading all the posts about how good Le Champagne is, I'm wondering if any solos have done it on their own? I'm keen to try Le Champagne and Seishin but not sure how I would feel dining on my own. I often lunch on my own when cruising but prefer to eat with others at dinner.

Cheers

ging466

It appears the OP has become a bit distracted by a young lady and will not be able to post until off the ship.

I ran out of internet time.

I am enjoying reading your feed. But perhaps it has come to an abrupt stop due to your aforementioned distraction? Incidently, I will be occupying Vista suite 434 on the February 7th voyage to Tahiti. What condition is it in? I too am travelling solo. Have you noticed any solo diners in Le Champagne? Enjoy.

The suite is very good and in great condition. I have to say that it has better water pressure in the shower than I do at home. It is close to the lift and other than having to go to deck five to access th rest of the ship which was not an issue for me you should be very happy. On the night that I dined there I did not notice any solo diners, however when I got on the ship I did make a reservation for jsut myself, but after meeting some others (couple from LA, solo Austrialian, solo from LA, and myself, we decided to dine together.

ging466,

I'm sure you will meet other solos as well as couples/groups who would be more than happy to share such an evening with you.

That was my experience. Two other solo travlers and a couple is who I dined with at Le C.

Thanks, It was one of the most memorable travel experiences I have had. It truly was the people who made my trip, both the crew with the non-stop service and the other passengers, who were friendly and intersting. I noted that no matter who I spoke with I never had diffuculty remember names because the conversations were always unique and interesting, and noone ever displayed a "better than thou attitude" that I encountered.

The Pool BBQ should not be missed if the weather is not an issue when you are onboard. The crew does an amagingly fast job of turning the pool deck into a dining venue in a matter of a couple of hours. There was a cocktail hour followed by the bbq buffett, which included cold salads, shrimp, wraps, chicken, kebobs, a pasta station, a whole pig, desserts galore, and more that I am forgetting. We choose to end the meal with grappa, which was an interesting drink, wildly strong but good at the same time. I tried the regular grappa this night, but the next night I tried the white chocolate grappa, which was a bit smoother on the take off but had that signature grappa finish if you know what I mean.

The port of Cabo San Lucas was not as busy as I had envisioned. There was one other Carnival ship there but I had no trouble finding a seat at the "office" after a walk around the port. Much construction was still underway and losts of the buildings on the beach looked brand new, although this was my first visit to this port, it was very clean and "fresh" looking. It appeared that construction was underway for ships to dock instead of tender, but I did not speak to anyone on that topic, just looked like a terminal was under construction.

The dinner in La Terrazza after cabo was from the Piemontese region at the foot hills of the alps. This area is the reconignized birthplace of the Breadstick (grissini) as a white truffle haven. The dishes were very good and influenced with truffle oil and the occasional shaving of truffle.

I want to note to those considering SS based on "food". During the entire voyage I was able to eat Foie Gras at least twice, one being a deliciuos seared portion with fig chutney, candied apples. Cavier once as an app which was "refilled" because I enjoyed it so much, as well as cavier nibbles at tea time and seafood when ever I ordered it. Most menus had 3 Apps, 3 Intermezzo slections, and 1 sorbet flavor, and 4 Entrees. Although I did not order "off menu" when dining, it was available if you wanted something prepared differently that they had.

Ensenada is an interesting port. I had some of the best Al Pastor Tacos ever, chatted with some locals and americans at a bar watching the Denver Broncos game, and window shopped throughout the town. What made a good port a little less in my mind was the incessent pan handling and street vendors found here, as well as in Cabo, but they were more aggressive here.

I have see the gamuet of vendors from here to the carribbean to SE Aisa and I beleive it detracts from the "experience of visiting a city" to have to say "NO thanks" every 30 sec.

I mentioned earlier that there was a Carnival ship in some of our ports, and this one was no exception, and it was obvious who was from that ship. I have no doubt that some on that ship are more well traveled than I, but I am not speaking about them. I felt embarrassed as an american in another country watching some ***** make a complete fool of themselves, and try and excuse it because they are on vacation. To borrow a line from billcrooz......aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

I wish there was more decorum in "some" american travelers.

But that was a diversion to an otherwise fabulous time on what I beleive to be a great cruise line who has won my business over. SS to me has set the "bar" very high on this cruise and I am sure my venture on the cloud in March will be no different. The crew as I have said before is what made me feel special and welcome. I want to know how they are "on" all the time week in and out.

I should mention that I am NOT a travel agent, nor work for SS or have a relative who works there, as some who are not loyalists may take my babbling on and on about how great this was a "fluff", its not. I am just an easy going traveler who takes pleasure in the "details" and "ride". I enjoy learning about people and sharing their experiences. I do not get tied up in details about how long it took room service to deliver a huge shrimp cocktail (12) and 6 carona beers, complete with limes garnishes and spicy cocktail sauce.......BTW MEOW.... it was 12.35 minutes.

Room service was always punctual and complete, with never a problem about what I ordered, even the "write in stuff".

The Pool BBQ should not be missed if the weather is not an issue when you are onboard.
It was indeed impressive when we were on board in December, 2007. The newbuild Spirit has more passengers, and perhaps to get all passengers "in camera", our feline guess is that its pool will be double decked, with the upper deck serving as a mezzanine. That is why instead of just metal railings around the jogging track above the pool as on the Shadow/Whisper, the track above the pool on the newbuild Spirit will have full height glass enclosures on both sides (as shown on Silversea's pictures). So it will be possible to set up dining tables on this mezzanine too, then all passengers can eat and see the show (perhaps local dancing group) together "in camera".

Archived