Elevator Incident on Rhapsody of the Seas

Gablin

Wow!

On other cruise ships, I have very occasionally been mildly inconvenienced. In those other instances, something nice was offered by someone in an attempt to apologize - cruise director, hotel manager, once the captain, etc. Sometimes it was a pleasant handwritten note, sometimes a $50 shipboard credit, once a bottle of wine for just making a written suggestion about stronger coffee in the dining room and casual restaurant.

Once, in a nice hotel, it took a considerable length of time to fix the lock on my door. I received a handwritten note from the manager, apologizing, and a $25 credit on my bill. :)

Ahhh...So we have some history of expectation here.;)

There obviously appeared to be. They knew the elevator stopped between floors, and they came and got you out. There are numerous monitoring circuits on the elevator controllers to send electronic signals to the engine control room where all of the ship's systems are monitored. The Captain on the bridge or guest services are not the crew that is going to respond. These are state-of-the-art elevators designed to travel vertically on a moving ship. Probably a safety switch stopped the elevator. Mr. Otis figured out a long time ago how to stop an elevator from plummeting down the shaft. It's going to be the mechanics and safety response personnel....following by the hotel manager with drink coupons.

Some were probably griping that the elevator was taken out of service and they had to wait a bit longer for another one.

Not absolutely sure what point you are making:confused: The Safety Officer did not appear - nor anyone except the two mechanics.

However, the Head of Security was shocked when I informed him the following day - he had wanted to know who else was in the elevator - but since no-one except two mechanics were present, I couldn't help him. I certainly didn't organise a petition whilst stuck in the elevator LOL. He said he couldn't understand why no-one in authority, other than mechanics, had been called to attend at the incident. I said that their procedures required attending to in that case. I have a strange feeling that none of this was actually logged:(

This was by the way, in an enclosed elevator. I hate glass elevators, but in this case, it would have been far preferable to be able to see and communicate with the outside world - even with hand signals.

I would also like to point out that we rarely drink alcohol - this was one of the exceptions:D

Having said that, there were many other incidents on this ship - unfortunately, it really was not ready to sail after a dry dock. And no, we did not demand any compensation - however, others did.

Now I think about it, the ship had problems, many justified complaints and it would have been a nice gesture to have served a free glass of wine at dinner to all passengers. The senior staff went into hiding:D Captain would not appear at functions etc. Apart from this elevator incident and my mother falling on the wet floor in the WJ (no doctor, no complaint:p) this was an enjoyable cruise with many comic moments. The Senior staff did NOT enjoy it - I will say no more.

Bearded Ladies - how about a drink in the Indie elevator - a glass one natch - we will toast to a safe landing. LOL

"To Heck with the Customer, What's it Going to Cost Me?"

JMO,

Colleen

Don't you mean..."To heck with the company, what's it gonna get me?"

In this world today, that's the common place. A note would've been nice, but to think that when little things go wrong like this, one can score because of it is just wrong. I will give the OP her due and say she has a right to her opinion and consideration, but not gifts because she was inadvertantly inconvenienced.

Flat out not true!!!!!!!

You do not know what you are talking about! In a land base Hotel they would give you credit for much less than this.Anyone in the industry knows this.Its clear you that you lack knowledge on the subject.A major hotel would be embarsssed that one of their guest had to climb out of an elevator on a ladder and WITHOUT QUESTION would offer a credit as a SMALL TOKEN to the guest for their inconvience

:cj

In this world today, that's the common place. A note would've been nice, but to think that when little things go wrong like this, one can score because of it is just wrong. I will give the OP her due and say she has a right to her opinion and consideration, but not gifts because she was inadvertantly inconvenienced.

Common place?:D.How many times have you been stuck in an elevator on a cruise ship or hotel.My guess is the answer for the overwhelming majority is ZERO

You do not know what you are talking about! In a land base Hotel they would give you credit for much less than this.Anyone in the industry knows this.Its clear you that you lack knowledge on the subject

I not only know what I'm talking about, I manage a "land based" high end resort in Florida. Have for 20 years. While we give "freebies" when needed this is not one of those situations.

We give credits for a room not cleaned properly, an air conditioner that breaks down and CAN'T be fixed, a bad meal, etc...... not for a 10-15 minute inconvenience that was handled properly by the staff.

Life is not perfect, we are not "owed" something everytime we find that out.

Common place?:D.How many times have you been stuck in an elevator on a cruise ship or hotel.My guess is the answer for the overwhelming majority is ZERO

I don't know about this poster but I've been stuck in an elevator for almost two hours in a HOTEL and, no, not one I was working in. When I got out they made sure I was safe, said they were "so sorry" and we all went about our business. I didn't ask for, nor expect any freebies.

I not only know what I'm talking about, I manage a "land based" high end resort in Florida. Have for 20 years. While we give "freebies" when needed this is not one of those situations.

We give credits for a room not cleaned properly, an air conditioner that breaks down and CAN'T be fixed, a bad meal, etc...... not for a 10-15 minute inconvenience that was handled properly by the staff.

Life is not perfect, we are not "owed" something everytime we find that out.

Like I said the higher ends would for a fact.I sure some of the low end joints would show a lack of compassion for their guest

precisely

Like I said the higher ends would for a fact.I sure some of the low end joints would show a lack of compassion for their guest

guess you didn't see that part in my post about our high end resort....no matter...I'm in the business I'm not debating this question anymore...bye

guess you didn't see that part in my post about our high end resort....no matter...I'm in the business I'm not debating this question anymore...bye

Good.Because those in the know and anyone who actually manages a hotel would know that any hotel worth their weight would offer some sort of compersation

Good.Because those in the know and anyone who actually manages a hotel would know that any hotel worth their weight would offer some sort of compersation

Yikes - guess what Captain Jake?? We are in absolute agreement!!:D Everywhere I've ever worked in the hospitality industry from high end to sports bars would have done something - as I said before, if anything happened in our establishment to affect the enjoyment of your stay/dinner/cruise we would have offered a little act of HOSPITALITY and done something for you. We wouldn't say 'you okay? Good - sorry 'bout that but crap happens, you know?':rolleyes:. I mean, are you serious?:eek:

well isn't that cute...been a long time since someone called me a liar....

continue with your delusions.........

Geez,You started it.By saying the fact I stated is not true.Like I said friends and family Who work for Marriot and Hilton have told me otherwise.I guess you are allowed to call others Liars but they can't question you.Interesting.Just becuase your place of employement does not do the right thing for their guest does not mean others follow

Then flat out prove it?

Just the facts please.

I'll give you an example of a credit.One hotel chain says if you are not satisfied the night is on them.Well you know a very small percentage will said they were not satisfied in order to get a free night even if their complaint was silly.They would still get credit.Now something legit like getting trapped on an elevator would get the credit easily.Now if you take advantage of that too often they may decide that they don't need your business

In general agreement of compensation.....If this happened at an Embassy Suites Hotel they would of comped that nights room plus a certificate for future stay. Knowing my former managers style and me as her personal assistant they I would of wined and dined her as well. We had a no nonsense approach to any guests discomfort. If any employee comped the guest in any fashion, they were never questioned, we had full privilege of making the guest happy and secure their future return.

RC could learn a few things about guest satisifaction....but thats a whole other thread!!! :eek: :D

In general agreement of compensation.....If this happened at an Embassy Suites Hotel they would of comped that nights room plus a certificate for future stay. Knowing my former managers style and me as her personal assistant they I would of wined and dined her as well. We had a no nonsense approach to any guests discomfort. If any employee comped the guest in any fashion, they were never questioned, we had full privilege of making the guest happy and secure their future return.

RC could learn a few things about guest satisifaction....but thats a whole other thread!!! :eek: :D

Excellent!BTW Embassy has a fantastic free breakfast and one heck of a Happy Hour

I always take the stairs, so I can work off all that chocolate cake.

In any case, it's best to follow the crew's suggestions. If the elevator had started moving while you were climbing out, you could have been cut in half. Most likely, they had you leave through the bottom portion, because the most likely direction of movement would be down, making the opeing larger, not smaller.

My guess is that the ship's engineering and mechanics department is more oriented to fixing things than guest relations and compensation. Several times, I've gone back to the cabin at 3:00 in the morning and the toilet doesn't work. Call into service, mechanic shows up, fixes the problem out in the hall, and leaves. I guess I should complain more, or at least start to complain about how I was inconvenienced. :rolleyes: How about the bozo before me who locks the safe? I'm inconvenienced having to call the desk and wait for someone to open it.

I just chalk it up to ship happens on a floating hotel.

No, I didn't mean that at all. I meant what I said.

Well run companies with properly trained managers and employees usually provide excellent customer service and excellent products and that is generally the main reason for their continued success.

Companies with poorly trained management and employees generally provide poor customer service and product which leads to unhappy customers.

Decades ago when I was a teenager and while in College I worked in retail and we were trained to provide great customer service at all costs. The customer was always right (even when they were not). This is sorely lacking in many businesses today. RCI is an example of a company once very well run that is slipping in its customer service.

The company that trained me is still one of the largest and most successful companies of its kind and it has been in business for over a hundred years and will survive over other companies in the future because it still believes that the customer is always right (even when they are not).

And by that I mean that placating unhappy customers is part of being a successful business. Happy customers don't complain, they tell their family and friends to do business with companies that provide excellent product and excellent customer service. Unhappy customers who feel slighted, unappreciated and not properly serviced WILL complain and WILL tell family and friends NOT to do business with a company that provided poor product and poor customer service.

The OP's story is an example of poor customer service. If this had been handled well we either would not have heard about it or we would have heard a different version, one where the company came out looking good.

The way this was handled is after all, RCI's loss.

JMO,

Colleen

You have to be stuck in an elevator with twelve other people, very hot and sweating in this small metal container, wondering what is going on and whether the lift will go into freefall, before you can judge what its actually like.

How on earth can a sensible person compare a frightening experience with "a room not cleaned properly, an air conditioner that breaks down and CAN'T be fixed, a bad meal, etc......?" Does Gracie really believe that a bad meal is worse than being stuck in a lift for a considerable time?:(

I have to say that if I now saw people emerging from a stuck lift and in a 'bit of a state' I would certainly offer to assist. But then, it happened to me:eek: In fact, I would probably offer them a drink - and I do not own a cruiseline.

Archived