Fun finds at Mexican Walmarts

FlyGirl22

Two of our stops in Mexico are Cabo and Acapulco. Are there any Walmart stores within walking distance of the pier?

I am interested in purchasing some of the Mexican snacks previously mentioned here.

I'm sure there is a Wal-Mart somewhere in Acapulco but not sure where....

I would recommend going in Cabo...its not walking distance but it shouldn't be more than a $7 or $8 cab ride.....

• 1 year later...

There is a Wal-Mart diagonally across the street from the Grand Hotel in Acapulco. A 5-minute walk from the front door of the hotel to the store. That's no longer a Hyatt Hotel, though. It's a huge store, larger than any Wal-Mart I've seen in the USA and it's one of the best grocery/liquor stores in Acapulco. It's the store I shop at most often when in Acapulco. On the same side of the street as Wal-Mart, almost adjacent, is a huge Bingo hall and Jai Alai fronton, Sports Book. Have a great trip!

I was going to cancel our Wal-Mart credit card this year... no need to have an open, empty account...and now I'm wondering... I think I will call and see if we can use it in Mexico!! ;)

After this thread... I also think it's a good idea I planned to pack an empty bag to use as a carry-on for the flight home! :D

Does anyone know the name of the Mexican candy made with brown sugar? If you've ate it, you will know what I'm talking about! I want to remember and get some of that!!

I was going to cancel our Wal-Mart credit card this year... no need to have an open, empty account...and now I'm wondering... I think I will call and see if we can use it in Mexico!! ;)

After this thread... I also think it's a good idea I planned to pack an empty bag to use as a carry-on for the flight home! :D

Does anyone know the name of the Mexican candy made with brown sugar? If you've ate it, you will know what I'm talking about! I want to remember and get some of that!!

I have had that brown sugar candy and it is incredible.....BUT I don't remember the wrapper :(

OMG I want some now......I will be back in PV this May so will scoop it out hopefully this is before your cruise?

There is a Wal-Mart diagonally across the street from the Grand Hotel in Acapulco. A 5-minute walk from the front door of the hotel to the store. That's no longer a Hyatt Hotel, though. It's a huge store, larger than any Wal-Mart I've seen in the USA and it's one of the best grocery/liquor stores in Acapulco. It's the store I shop at most often when in Acapulco. On the same side of the street as Wal-Mart, almost adjacent, is a huge Bingo hall and Jai Alai fronton, Sports Book. Have a great trip!

The Hyatt did indeed close and change names to the Grand Hotel but this thread was well over a year old when it originated.

The Vanilla is generally much cheaper in Mex then up north and many do return home with a few bottles.

About the Hyatt - I think the hotel lost the right to call itself a Hyatt a couple of years ago, probably before the reference was made above. But, no big deal - but my reference was to present the current situation.

My observation and experience has been that most of the vanilla you see offered for sale in Mexico - particularly in the tourist destinations - is no different than what you find on the shelves of your hometown supermarkets. It takes some effort to find the good, real, unadulterated vanilla. Also, if you buy other than the bean - meaning the liiquid - be certain to carefully seal and pack it in your checked luggage - or you face the almost certainty of having it confiscated before you board a flight home after the cruise (if you fly home instead of living relatively close).

I don't know if it's different over here, but one of the biggest things that my family found "interesting" in the Mexico Walmart we went to years ago in Cancun was the HUGE plexiglass case of pork rinds right when you entered. Our kids had no idea what that stuff was. :) It was also interesting to see all the milk in the cardboard containers and just on the shelf...not in a cooler. But I remember how WONDERFUL the boxed juices were...oh man...it was good! Definitely going to have to check out the PV Walmart in May when we are there! :p

• 5 months later...

Whats the real vanilla someone mentioned?Where do you find it?Can u post a pic please

What other type of vanilla brand is good? How much does a bottle run? I like baking and so do my two sisters so I'm thinking it might be good to bring some back.Can u post a pic please. I'm a visual person so it will stick in my head-lol!

The lime chile peanuts sound yummy!

Are the prices on the tags in pecos or also in us $$. Using creditcards I have the wal-mart discover card I wonder if that one can also be used at the sams in PV.

What about for kids what do they like from WW. I have a DD12

any other interesting finds???

Whats the real vanilla someone mentioned?Where do you find it?Can u post a pic please

What other type of vanilla brand is good? How much does a bottle run? I like baking and so do my two sisters so I'm thinking it might be good to bring some back.Can u post a pic please. I'm a visual person so it will stick in my head-lol!

Here is the web site for the Orlando brand vanilla someone previously mentioned.

http://www.orlandomx.com/homeing.html

If you look at their products, you will see it is marketed under 3 different labels. I always get the Reyna label, because I know what store stocks it in Cozumel. I have never seen the Orlando label on the Western Caribbean route, but it is probably the same as Reyna, and it is SO good. I have brought back as many as 17 bottles for friends. Like me, they won't use any other vanilla now. :)

Here is the web site for the Orlando brand vanilla someone previously mentioned.

http://www.orlandomx.com/homeing.html

If you look at their products, you will see it is marketed under 3 different labels. I always get the Reyna label, because I know what store stocks it in Cozumel. I have never seen the Orlando label on the Western Caribbean route, but it is probably the same as Reyna, and it is SO good. I have brought back as many as 17 bottles for friends. Like me, they won't use any other vanilla now. :)

Thank you for posting. It will be easier for me to find. I will be in PV and cobo so ...anyone let me know the best place to buy vanilla and even the best 2 brands. Oh and how much should i expect to pay for a bottle?

I just told my dh about there being a WW across the street in PV and he just rolled his eyes at me, you know the rolling of the eyes like you wanna go to WW in mexico.

lol once I told him about the chili lemon peanuts, tequilla, vanilla and the souvinors being cheaper it peaked his interest-lol! Then he says" maybe they will have flavored pistashios and cheaper T-shirts and stuff cool!"

Just make sure the label on the vanilla says "Contains No Coumarin" or something to that effect. Some store workers will say that their vanilla doesn't have any coumarin in it even though the label doesn't say anything. Don't buy from them.

The brand we got in WalMart back in '08 was Usumacinta.

Vanilla3.jpgVanilla2.jpg

Just make sure the label on the vanilla says "Contains No Coumarin" or something to that effect. Some store workers will say that their vanilla doesn't have any coumarin in it even though the label doesn't say anything. Don't buy from them.

The brand we got in WalMart back in '08 was Usumacinta.

Vanilla3.jpgVanilla2.jpg

Thank so much for this important information. I had no idea what Coumarin was so i did a search snopes popped up . http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/vanilla.asp

I bought a terrific sparkly sequined tank top at the PV Walmart in March and also found a couple of hard to find Thomas The Tank Engine trains for my son. Also a good place to buy beach toys and snorkle gear rather than toting them in your luggage. But be careful of the timeshare/tour people, they are out in force there.

Thank you for posting. It will be easier for me to find. I will be in PV and cobo so ...anyone let me know the best place to buy vanilla and even the best 2 brands. Oh and how much should i expect to pay for a bottle?

quote]

I would look for the Orlando brand, the one I gave you the web site for in post 63. Someone else suggested Orlando on this thread too. It should sell for approx. $3.00 for 125ml, $5.00 for 250ml., and $8.00 for a liter.

Archived