Martini's and Chocolate!

Renorita

Allen, those appletinis sound AMAZING and I don't even *like* apple-flavored things!! Caramel syrup - who would have thought?!

Thanks for all the info, guys! :)

Dark & Stormies are my friend Natasha's FAVORITE. I can't handle the dark rum, myself, but everyone else who's had sips of hers (they're availabe at a few of our local bars) raves about them too.

Vincent Van Gough Chocolate Vodka, Frangelica, Bailey's Irish cream, maybe creme de cocoa. I believe this is what they put in mine on the ship??? Don't know the amounts. The Frangelica is important to the taste.

I also love Celebrity's " Ice Creamery" I have it by the pool on hot sea days. You can have them make it virgin and ask them to put a little chocolate syrup in it. It is the closest thing to a milk shake you will get!

Lois, the Horizon was a great ship. The service and staff were first-rate. The only negatives were, to me, the tiny martini bar, and the rough water we had. As for the martini bar, I'm sure others would deem it intimate and just right. I think the Constellation and Summit spoiled me. The Horizon martini bar was certainly as good or better than any of the ships' bars I remember before the M-class ones. As for the rough water, we went in October, when there are lots of tropical storms and hurricanes. It's a chance you take at that time of the year. I was lucky, though, and didn't get sick. My wife did and there was one night where I was the only one at our table. I got lots of sympathy from the servers, bar steward, maitre d' and social hostess.... to the extent that we were invited to the Captain's table for the second formal night (out of pity, I suppose). :)

Allen

Renorita, the "James Bond" martini is techically called a "Vesper". It's made with both gin AND vodka. It's two shots of gin to one of vodka and it's "shaken not stirred" with one shot of Lillet dry French vermouth. It's also served with a lemon twist. They're a relatively strong drink, but they have a nice sharp taste and you can always increase the amount of Lillet to make it less strong.

Allen

Allen, thank you for telling me about the "Vesper" :) The restaurant that I ordered in just call it the "James Bond Martini, shaken not stirred" I had know idea what was in it, but it was quite good! If I veer away from my regular martini, which I rarely do, that is a nice variation.

Hi Renorita, I do not drink much so I do not even know about the taste of Martini with or without the chocolate....but reading your post, I just remembered a litlle story that does involve the chocolate.....here it is.

Senior Bus Trip

A tour bus driver drives with a bus full of seniors down the highway,

when he is tapped on his shoulder by a little old lady. She offers him a

handful

of peanuts, which he gratefully munches up.

After aprox. 15 minutes, she taps him on his shoulder again and she hands

him

another handfull of peanuts. She repeats this gesture about eight times.

At the ninth time he asks the little old lady why they do not eat the

peanuts themselves, whereupon

she replies that it is not possible because of their old teeth, they are

not able to chew them.

"Why do you buy them?" he asks puzzled.

Whereupon the old lady answers,

"We just like the chocolate around them."

Wes

Wes, that is a really cute story, if you are not the bus driver that is! :D

I know I must sound like a lush, but actually I drink very little myself. But that is why I like a good martini before a special dinner. But only one! No "1 martini, 2 martini, 3 martini floor" for me! ;)

ohhh..that poor BusDriver;)

Renorita....I drink more on a 7 day cruise than I do for the rest of the year at home:D ....If you are a lush....well, I don't know what I would call myself...LOL.

I have a drink before dinner every evening on the ship.....and usually wine with dinner.....and at the pool during the day....I always have...well, last month I had some really good mudslides at the Pool Bars!

ohhh..that poor BusDriver;)

Renorita....I drink more on a 7 day cruise than I do for the rest of the year at home:D ....If you are a lush....well, I don't know what I would call myself...LOL.

I have a drink before dinner every evening on the ship.....and usually wine with dinner.....and at the pool during the day....I always have...well, last month I had some really good mudslides at the Pool Bars!

Okay I confess! I guess on a Cruise I am a mini-lush! :D I do like a glass of wine with dinner, and sometimes we get the free lemonade at the buffet and "doctor" it up a bit from a water flask we bring from home. No water in it though. Heh Heh :D Cheaper then those drinks of the day!

Archived