Compulation of information for Barbados

Ziggy7

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Harrison's Cave

http://harrisonscave.com/home.php

You ride a tram through the cave and you can get up and walk twice and take close up looks of different parts of the cave. They also have a video you watch before you go into the cave - telling you how Barbados was formed.

It's informative, entertaining and just plain old cool. Expect to spend about an hour on site and about 30 min to get there from DT B'Town. You will get dripped on - but it's just water and not harmful. Bring camera equipment to take pics in the dark otherwise, it's difficult to get good pics. The caves are not that difficult to find on your own (very well signed) or by the local bus (only $1.50 BD$)

Beware HarrisonCaves closes in the beginning of the week and is open Wednesday(it could be Thursday) to Sunday. I wanted to see the Caves, its one of the main reasons I booked the cruise I did, but I should have done MORE homework. We dock on a MONDAY AND THEY ARE CLOSED. I wrote them and asked if they would open, I never did get a reply.

Links to Websites:

Info about Barbados:

http://www.barbados.org/

Barbados and Turtle Pics:

http://www.funbarbados.com/Tours/tiami.cfm

Silver Moon Catamaran:

http://www.oceanadventures.bb/

Must know before you go information!!!

Barbados: Illegal Activity - TripAdvisor

Barbados maps:

Barbados Maps

Beach Info:

Calm West Coast ~ Fun South Coast ~ Lovely East Coast ~ Rugged North Coast

! Barbados Tourism Encyclopedia - Official site of the Barbados Tourism Encyclopedia.

http://************************/search/Barbados

Barbados travel information: Barbados vacation guide, info on hotels, resorts, beaches & more - Caribbean.com

http://www.carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com/Barbados.htm

Barbados Shopping: Electronics, Cameras and Watches

Great info link!!!

http://www.carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com/Barbados.htm

Barbados travel information: Barbados vacation guide, info on hotels, resorts, beaches & more - Caribbean.com

Bridgetown Cruise Terminal Shops

Diamonds International

Jewelry, Watches, China, Crystal, Writing Instruments and Leather pouches and wallets by Mont Blanc

Local Colour

Men, Women and Children’s Clothing, Swimwear Locally made and imported T-Shirts, Souvenirs, Sunglasses, Accessories e.g. bags, shoes, belts

Trendy Styles

Swimsuits, Beach Bags, Towels, Hats, Canvas and Rubber Sandals, Wraps, Shirts, Shorts, Pants, Dresses, Scarves, hand painted and Tie and Dye T-Shirts

Island Designs

Hand Painted Clothing and T-Shirts, Wood Carvings, Cotton Line of Clothing, Batik Wraps, Swimwear, Leather Sandals

Avark

Bed Linens, Throw Pillows, Table Cloths, Art, Hand Painted Children’s Clothing

Caribbean Sounds

Compact Discs, Cassettes –pre-recorded and blank, Small Electronic Equipment and Accessories

Colombian Emeralds International

Jewelry – Gold, Precious Stones, Watches

Cave Shepherd & Co. Ltd.

Liquor – Local and Imported, Cigarettes and Smokers Requisites, Perfume, Fragrances, Cosmetics, Sunglasses, Confectionery

Ganzee

T-Shirts, Bags, Caps, Postcards

The Royal Shop

China, Crystal, Jewelry, Watches

Nari’s of Barbados

Rugs, Brasswear and Ornaments, Linens, Oriental Arts and Crafts, Assorted Wood Carvings, Walking Sticks, Wooden Chests, Assorted Towels, Cushions

Gatsby Boutique

Imported Ladies and Men’s Clothing, Swimwear, Leather Shoes, Handbags and Belts, Costume Jewelry and Accessories

Harrisons

Watches, Jewelry, Perfume, Fragrances, Cosmetics, China Crystal, Leather, Sweaters, Linens, Sunglasses, Writing Instruments

Ocean Convenience

Toiletries, Medicinal items, small Grocery Items, Bottled Water, Beverages, Newspapers, Magazines, Stationery, Lighters, Film, Batteries, Suntan/Sun block products, Cigarettes by pack, Snacks, Confectionery

Kids International

Children’s Clothing

Touched By Sun

Beach Accessories, Photo chromic T-shirts and Polo Shirts

Calypso Bakeries

Rum Cake

Ships Ahoy

Souvenirs, Dolls, Toys, Costume Jewelry, Barbados Pottery Items, Gift packages of Condiments, Sea Shells, Suntan Lotion

Best of Barbados Ltd.

Souvenirs, Jill Walker Prints, designed souvenirs, Ceramics, pottery, Mount Gay Rum Cake

Fergie’s Cocktail Lounge

Cocktails, Wine, Sundaes, Milk Shakes, Ice-cream, Cream Sodas

Freeport

Liquor, Wine, Cigarettes, Carbonated Drinks, Juices, Bottled Water, Snacks, Beer

The Male Cabin

Men’s Apparel

The Cupping Room

Coffee and Coffee related products, Wine Vinegars, Herbal infused oils, Specialty baked items, handmade gourmet items,

Photo Finish

Film, Batteries, Photo Albums, Cameras, Camera Cases, Photo Frames, Photographic paper

DOCKING

Barbados has a modern, spacious cruise terminal which opened at Barbados Port in 1994. It houses more than 20 duty-free shops, craft stalls, a post office, communications center with internet links and a Barbados Tourism Authority information office where you can find details of tours, taxis and bus services.

The two restaurants at the port are Coconuts and Millie’s Snack Bar. The former is the more formal of the two.

Due to security reasons, local tour companies are not allowed to hawk for business at the terminal and are only allowed in to pick up customers who have pre-booked tours. Independent-minded passengers wanting to arrange their own tours – as opposed to ship excursions – need to make arrangements in advance.

There is a shuttle service for passengers from the port into the city of Bridgetown where you will find even more taxis. There's a total of around two hundred taxis operating in the port area.

CURRENCY

The Barbados dollar is pegged to the US dollar at an exchange rate using the Currency Converter below. US dollars are accepted island-wide and most stores and restaurants accept major credit cards and travelers checks.

GETTING AROUND

Driving in Barbados is on the left side of the road and the majority of vehicles are “right hand drive.” The island has an extensive road network of about 1,475 km of paved roads. A highway links the north and the south of the island. There are a number of ways to get around the island by hired car, taxis and buses; all are safe, reliable and convenient.

Taxis are a great way to get around Barbados, whether for custom tours or general transport services. Most local taxi companies offer a choice of luxury cars, small vans or large coaches for groups. You might even be able to negotiate a private tour with a driver who will combine specific sightseeing points for a certain amount per person while giving you a tour of the salt flats, slave huts, private beach, houses, and informing you about history of the island. This might be preferable to taking a tour bus and having to go to places you have no interest in, and consuming precious time that you have on the island.

If the taxi lines are long near the port, walk to the Parliament Building to pick up a cab without extensive waiting.

Below are average rates for local journeys, and should be used only as a guide. ALWAYS CONFIRM THE PRICE WITH YOUR TAXI DRIVER BEFORE BEGINNING THE TRIP.

DISTANCES FARES SHOWN IN BBD

(US$1 = BBD$2)

BETWEEN THE BRIDGETOWN

HARBOUR/CITY CENTRE AND:

Any point North of Speightstown - $40.00

East Point - $40.00

Bathsheba/Cattlewash - $38.00

Crane - $34.00

Sam Lord's Castle/Pollards - $36.00

St. George's Parish Church - $16.00

St. John's Parish Church - $36.00

St. Albans - $25.00

Sandy Lane/Holetown/Porters - $22.00

Callenders - $24.00

Oistins - $20.00

Long Beach/Silver Sands - $24.00

Speightstown/Heywoods - $30.00

Grantley Adams International Airport - $30.00

Welchman Hall Gully/Harrison's Cave - $30.00

Prospect/Holders/Paynes Bay - $16.00

St. Lawrence/Dover - $18.00

Rendezvous - $16.00

Hilton/Grand Barbados/Garrison - $12.00

Paradise - $12.00

BUSES

Many vacationers tend to travel in a relatively concentrated area, usually close to their hotels. The bus system in Barbados is an excellent alternative to the hassle of parking a rental car or hailing a taxi for short trips between your hotel, the shops, and the beach. Bus rates and schedules are convenient for travelers, and interaction with the locals adds interest and authenticity.

Two types of buses service Barbados. Blue buses with yellow stripes are government-owned; their smaller, yellow and blue-striped counterparts are privately-owned. Fares for both types are $0.75(USD) and exact change is required.

The main difference between the two types of buses found on Barbados is that the privately-owned minibuses tend to have shorter routes, enabling them to pick up passengers more frequently. On the other hand, government buses take riders a little farther from the central hub of town - ideal for travelers interested in doing some sightseeing. Buses service most stops every 20 minutes, and both types generally post their destinations on the front of the bus. Locals will tell you that it's a good idea to flag the bus down with your hand, even if you are standing at the stop.

Buses might be a great option for visitors who want to see a specific area of town while saving money--and know the bus routes. However, they are not as comfortable as a taxi ride, and there are many stops and starts.

I know original post is older, but thanks for all the research and taking time to write.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone clarify those taxi prices for me? Are those PER PERSON?! And I'm assuming that's not in dollars...can anyone give me the exchange in dollars? Surely there's nowhere that's 61 bucks a person...right?! :eek::confused:

There's 6 of us (hence the slightly freaked out post on taxi fares!) and we will probably go to Accra Beach. Any recommendations or comments for that beach?

Thanks so much. It's been 10 years since we've been to Barbados. We are really looking forward to it and this thread is AWESOME!

”Can someone clarify those taxi prices for me? Are those PER PERSON?! And I'm assuming that's not in dollars...can anyone give me the exchange in dollars? Surely there's nowhere that's 61 bucks a person...right?!

There's 6 of us (hence the slightly freaked out post on taxi fares!) and we will probably go to Accra Beach. Any recommendations or comments for that beach? “

The published taxi fare you read above is in Barbados Dollars (BD).

Barbados Dollars are twice the U.S. Dollar. (US$1 = BD$2)

Since you have six (6) people you'll need a van and they will probably charge you per person. By the way, the hourly taxi fares are for up to four people in the taxi, not per person.

The published hourly rate (the last time I checked) was US$25/hr. I'm guessing, but I believe, they'll try and charge you US$5-8/hr per person with the use of a van.

Going from Deep Water Harbour to Accra with only 6 in an 8 person van I think you'll be asked for US$10/pp (each way). With another two in the van, I think it should be US$8/pp.

You probably won't be offered these rates inside the harbour compound, but if you walk out past the Gate House to the street, I'm confident you'll achieve these prices. It may take a cabbie and his buddy with another cab, rather than a van, however.

Don't deal inside the coumpound unless you know a good deal. Don't agree to any fares unless you confirm they are in either BD or US dollars. Confirm your deal again in US dollars whether it be PP or total...let there be no questions in anyone's mind of what you'll pay.

• 1 year later...

A wounderful thread that needed to be reserected. :)

First my contribution: Went to The Hilton in March and was able to purchase daypasses for $55. I prefer to purchase on site the day of rather than pre-purchasing just in case it's a rainy day or someone in the party is ill or too sunburnt to enjoy such a day.

Now for my request::D. Does anyone know of a good tour guide to take DH and myself to Crane Bay, Bathsheba and other picture worthy sights?

Could someone recommend a beach for me.

We would like to be where the water is super calm

- not a lot of waves.

WEST Coast definitely

-unless there is a North Swell running, in which case the West Coast is usually 'rubbish'!

Now: that depends on what time of year! ;)

North Swells periodically affect our shores from October to March(basically)

which of course coincides nicely with Cruise Ship Season! :)

But if you're here during the Summer, you'll probably enjoy calm placid waters on our West Coast.

To get a bit more specific...Paynes Bay, Holetown, Mullins.

Jski-1265.jpg

This is Paynes Bay - a shot taken from offshore, looking back inshore.

See the little upright Glass-Bottom Boats?

They're the ones that'll take you out to see/swim-with the turtles!

Mullins-28.jpg

This is Mullins.

WEST Coast definitely

-unless there is a North Swell running, in which case the West Coast is usually 'rubbish'!

Now: that depends on what time of year! ;)

North Swells periodically affect our shores from October to March(basically)

which of course coincides nicely with Cruise Ship Season! :)

But if you're here during the Summer, you'll probably enjoy calm placid waters on our West Coast.

To get a bit more specific...Paynes Bay, Holetown, Mullins.

Jski-1265.jpg

This is Paynes Bay - a shot taken from offshore, looking back inshore.

See the little upright Glass-Bottom Boats?

They're the ones that'll take you out to see/swim-with the turtles!

Mullins-28.jpg

This is Mullins.

Mullins looks really nice! We will be there next month so I'm hoping no swells! Should we have a back up plan just in case?

How far of a cab ride is it from the cruise ship dock to this area? And any idea of the cost?

Thank you in advance!

Mullins looks really nice! We will be there next month so I'm hoping no swells!

Should we have a back up plan just in case?

How far of a cab ride is it from the cruise ship dock to this area? And any idea of the cost?

In May the West Coast should be quite calm.

A back-up plan would be Carlisle Bay (close to the ship)

How far is Mullins from the ship? probably 10 miles?

Consult a map of the island, or use Google Earth (free satellite-image viewing program on your PC

-I use that a lot to research destinations, before I go)

Taxi cost? I can't help you there,sorry...

but you could get a taxi to take you there, get your day started quickly..

and then take the bus back to the Port area:

buses to/from Bridgetown run right along the Mullins road, right next to the beach (bus fare US$1 per person)

A wounderful thread that needed to be reserected. :)

First my contribution: Went to The Hilton in March and was able to purchase daypasses for $55. I prefer to purchase on site the day of rather than pre-purchasing just in case it's a rainy day or someone in the party is ill or too sunburnt to enjoy such a day.

Do i have to purchase daypass for Hilton, or i can just use their beach for hour or two? I am Hilton Gold member and i just want to check the hotel for maybe longer stay in the future (i do not plan to use chairs or restaurant).

Do i have to purchase daypass for Hilton, or i can just use their beach for hour or two? I am Hilton Gold member and i just want to check the hotel for maybe longer stay in the future (i do not plan to use chairs or restaurant).

Beaches are open to the public in Barbados.

• 3 months later...

Would like information on day use of the beach at Southern Palms Beach Club/Resort. Would this be a good place to go for the day? Would beach chairs/umbrellas be available to rent? Any other facilities for those not staying in the hotel? Thanks.

Doris

Edited by STXCruisers

Would like information on day use of the beach at Southern Palms Beach Club/Resort.

Would this be a good place to go for the day? ===> Yes!

Would beach chairs/umbrellas be available to rent? ===> I should think so.

Any other facilities for those not staying in the hotel

Basically, Southern Palms is on Dover Beach -along with other operators.

I'm not too familiar with goings-on along Dover Beach itself

but last time I was there, it seemed to have grown up quite a bit (infrastructurally)

and I wouldn't be surprised if there are public showers and bathroom facilities nearby, these days.

I'll post a few pretty pics I took about 3 yrs. ago...

Maybe they'll show something.

DoverBch-264.jpg

Obviously, someone's providing rows of umbrellas and chairs (for rent?)

Other amenities can't be far behind...far away

DoverBch-266.jpg

Looking the other way, there's a big hotel right there.(this is not Southern Palms)

but maybe you could have lunch there, use their bathrooms, showers?

Basically, Southern Palms is on Dover Beach -along with other operators.

I'm not too familiar with goings-on along Dover Beach itself

but last time I was there, it seemed to have grown up quite a bit (infrastructurally)

and I wouldn't be surprised if there are public showers and bathroom facilities nearby, these days.

I'll post a few pretty pics I took about 3 yrs. ago...

Maybe they'll show something.

DoverBch-264.jpg

Obviously, someone's providing rows of umbrellas and chairs (for rent?)

Other amenities can't be far behind...far away

DoverBch-266.jpg

Looking the other way, there's a big hotel right there.(this is not Southern Palms)

but maybe you could have lunch there, use their bathrooms, showers?

Thank you so much for replying! The beach looks very nice. Would you think this area might be less crowded than other beaches? It doesn't look too crowded.

Doris

The beach looks very nice.

Would you think this area might be less crowded than other beaches?

It doesn't look too crowded.

Those two pics above were taken January 21st. 2010.

January is a peak time for our tourism trade

so a lot depends on what time of year you'll be here

but otherwise, Dover Beach tends to be less crowded

than Rockley Beach about 2 miles West (and closer to the ships)

Those two pics above were taken January 21st. 2010.

January is a peak time for our tourism trade

so a lot depends on what time of year you'll be here

but otherwise, Dover Beach tends to be less crowded

than Rockley Beach about 2 miles West (and closer to the ships)

Thanks so much! We'll be there April 7, a Monday. This looks like a very good place to spend our day. We've already done Silver Moon ( and LOVED it) and a glass bottom boat tour. Time for a beach!

Doris

• 4 months later...

Wow great thread. Much thanks to the OP for all the hard work. Thought it could us a bump up.

Several years ago we did a dune buggy excursion through Carnival. That was before I found cruise critic. Does anyone know if any private tour companies offer this?