Early -vs- late seating, the debate continuies

JStarbrite

I prefer the late seating.

- I don't need to go in early to shower and change for dinner. I can get the most out of the sun or take a nap before dinner.

- I get the most out of my port time by not having to be back to get ready (I don't really believe in eating in port when I can eat good food on the ship for free).

- I usually have a later lunch, so I'm hungry when I go to dinner.

Good topic. I'm interested in seeing other peoples views.

Pam

I prefer early seating, if only so that I may take full advantage of the midnight buffet and late-night snacks. Food, glorious food!

The downside is, depending on the sailing, there might could be significantly more ankle-biters and rugrats to disrupt the ambience at main seating.

There's really no debating. It's simply whether you, the individual cruiser, prefer to have early or late dining assignment. There are reasons many people prefer early, just as those who prefer late.

A matter of personal preference.

"I prefer early seating, if only so that I may take full advantage of the midnight buffet and late-night snacks. Food, glorious food!"

Obviously you haven't reached the stage of "professional cruiser" if you can't handle a late meal AND the midnight buffet!!! LOL!

Obviously you haven't reached the stage of "professional cruiser" if you can't handle a late meal AND the midnight buffet!!! LOL!
I should have clarified. My bad.

Main seating in Dining Room, then eat again at the Lido buffet before it closes, *then* the Midnight Buffet.

Back in the day, they took the leftovers from the midnight buffet up to the Promenade and had *another* buffet around 1:30-2 am. This was, of course, long before the introduction of 24/7 pizza.

I personally like the late seating better. First, I don't have to rush back from a port to get showered and dressed. Second, I have plenty of time to take a quick cat nap if necessary. Third, there is ample time to have a cocktail or two, maybe even three. We can catch the late shows, then the midnight buffet and the adult comedian. Just love that late seating !!!

I always choose early. If we are in port long, we skip the formal dinner - sometimes we don't like the choices anyway, but for the out to sea days or early port days I want dinner at 6pm like i do at home and then i am fully hungry again for the midnight buffet. I have been on 6 cruises and have always had the early seating and what's funny is I have never noticed the children...i always find it surprising that soooo many mention the kids when i never really noticed they were there at all.

I choose Late Seating... I want all the sun and fun time I can get, hard enough getting to the late seating!!!! :D Less children at late seating as well. I probably wouldn't make the buffet even if I had early seating... there comes a point where I have to say ENOUGH FOOD FTLOG!!!! LOL! But I do make it to 3AM pizza :D I don't do the shows (except the late night comedian), so that's not of concern... I generally eat late at home, so I prefer it that way on the ship as well...

There's really no debating.

Exactly. There's no right or wrong here. It's what you are used to and works best for you.

I tried late seating once and only once, and yes, it did extend my afternoon, but it cut short my evening.

I found myself having one or two more afternoon cocktails (OK, maybe 5). By the time I sat down for dinner and eating, I found myself crashing, and then I still had a show to go to.

And by no means could I consider eating a midnight buffet, as I was too full from all the late drinking and eating.

I'd rather cut my afternoon, and extend my evening.....and then maybe get that quick bite, even if it's pizza, right before ZZZZ time.

And then I'm up again at 5AM doing it all over.

I prefer late seating, as I don't like looking at my watch while in port, and having to cut the day short just to get ready for dinner. The sunset thing also comes into play, as a leisurely walk along the deck is an ideal prelude to a lovely dinner. The crowd also seems to be a bit more lively.

But as important, there are virtually no kids at the late dinner. Parents' best efforts notwithstanding, there are always a couple of crying or whining youngsters.

Timing aside, I've never felt as if I've missed any opportunities to eat - largely because I haven't.

Al

Mr pete made a good point. We've always done late but will probably do early this time. After a long day and one too many Miami Vices, eating at 8:30 pm just made me want to go back to the room and pass out afterwards. I'm one of those odd people who actually like the shows, even if they are a bit corny. If you take the early seating dinner, you have two choices of showtimes. You don't have to go to the early show. If you are late seating, you are limited to the late show because you will be dining while the early show is going on. The itinerary has a lot to do with my choice. On my upcoming 5 day west cruise, only one port will interfere with the dining and that is Cozumel, and we don't leave there until 10 pm, so I won't be making it to either seating that day. There will be more kids at the early seating but, depending on the time of year you cruise, you will either see a ton of kids everywhere or very few.

All good points! I especially like the fact of extending daylight time and watching the sunset.

Being in the culinary feild, I thought that the food and service could be a little fresher for the first seating, but I have no proof of this.

Anyway, I think I will try late seating this time and see for myself.

Archived