Look2Sea

Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Retired in 2003 at 55, husband retired 3 years ago after I begged him to stop working after his heart surgery. Just the other day he said "Why did I wait so long?" Well dud~

493 days....Jan 19 2015. Seems so far off, but everyone says it will go quickly....hope they're right!

[quote name='tahoemc']493 days....Jan 19 2015. Seems so far off, but everyone says it will go quickly....hope they're right![/quote]

That should have said 481 days:o

[quote name='always_cruisin']43 paychecks (625 days) for me.[/QUOTE]

Well if I did paychecks I would have 14 or 15 left, but we only get paid once a month. Still counting weeks!!!

[quote name='zlacruising']Well if I did paychecks I would have 14 or 15 left, but we only get paid once a month. Still counting weeks!!![/QUOTE]

I get paid once a month, too. I have 10 paydays left!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='internetwhiz']I get paid once a month, too. I have 10 paydays left!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That must be a teacher thing...lol

[quote name='zlacruising']That must be a teacher thing...lol[/QUOTE]

I'm in higher education, but not a traditional faculty member.

I'm thinking the "23rd of Februry, 2014. I know that is a strange date, but it will be (hopefully I can make it till then :)) a year since I have been out of the hospital. In the last two years, I have been in the hosptial 6 times, and I "don't" want to go back.:(

I work for a large well known corporation and I will have just turned 71, but most people think I am younger than what I am, and I love my job so we'll see.

[quote name='beshears']I'm thinking the "23rd of Februry, 2014. I know that is a strange date, but it will be (hopefully I can make it till then :)) a year since I have been out of the hospital. In the last two years, I have been in the hosptial 6 times, and I "don't" want to go back.:(

I work for a large well known corporation and I will have just turned 71, but most people think I am younger than what I am, and I love my job so we'll see.[/quote]

No matter what...best of luck to you.My wife spent a few months in the hospital almost 5 years ago...it was touch and go for awhile but she made a full recovery...I hope the same for you

gary

[quote name='beshears']I'm thinking the "23rd of Februry, 2014. I know that is a strange date, but it will be (hopefully I can make it till then :)) a year since I have been out of the hospital. In the last two years, I have been in the hosptial 6 times, and I "don't" want to go back.:(

I work for a large well known corporation and I will have just turned 71, but most people think I am younger than what I am, and I love my job so we'll see.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I'm thinking exactly a year after that for my retirement. Blessings to both of us!!!:)))

[quote name='Friscoonetwo']I gave been retired 10 years. My wife is retiring December 31st this year and on Jan 19 we head out on the Island Princess for the Panama Canal[/quote]

That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate :)

March 18, 2016 will be my 30th year in law enforcement. Can walk out with 100% pay at age 52. Can stay longer for a 4 year drop program or I can go now, but I would need to buy 2 1/2 years of air time.

Just want to leave while my wife and I still are still in very good health. We love to travel and we just bought our retirement home, which has almost everyone believing I will be retiring soon.:rolleyes:

I retired in 2013 after 35 years with "Ma Bell". It wasn't a planned retirement though-I had an on-the-job accident resulting in back surgery. My job was very physical-I climbed telephone poles every day-and sadly the company didn't give me time to recuperate from the surgery.

After offering me a minimal pay sitting down job, I opted to retire. I was used to being out and about in a van all day and the thought of being trapped in an office environment didn't enthuse me at all..so I retired.

My husband also worked for Ma Bell and had a few more years to go before retirement-but he sadly had a heart attack and passed away.

My advise is to retire as soon as you can-you'll never say "Gosh I wish I'd worked a couple of months or years longer, especially if you've been able to save and are financially ready to go. Even though I wasn't exactly on the best financial road, I'm still glad I retired when I did.

Lots of we retirees say "I don't know how I had time to work, I have so much to do now" and thats exactly how I feel- I'm always busy, and though I occasionally miss the people I worked with and even the job, which was fun for many years, I don't miss the garbage working in a large corporation brings to us-the politics, the kissing up and the way some people do act.

So count down and retire when you can! I was actually in Cancun on my last official day as an employee as I took 3 weeks of vacation time I had coming after my disability ended.

[quote name='Plantcrone']I retired in 2013 after 35 years with "Ma Bell". It wasn't a planned retirement though-I had an on-the-job accident resulting in back surgery. My job was very physical-I climbed telephone poles every day-and sadly the company didn't give me time to recuperate from the surgery.

After offering me a minimal pay sitting down job, I opted to retire. I was used to being out and about in a van all day and the thought of being trapped in an office environment didn't enthuse me at all..so I retired.

My husband also worked for Ma Bell and had a few more years to go before retirement-but he sadly had a heart attack and passed away.

My advise is to retire as soon as you can-you'll never say "Gosh I wish I'd worked a couple of months or years longer, especially if you've been able to save and are financially ready to go. Even though I wasn't exactly on the best financial road, I'm still glad I retired when I did.

Lots of we retirees say "I don't know how I had time to work, I have so much to do now" and thats exactly how I feel- I'm always busy, and though I occasionally miss the people I worked with and even the job, which was fun for many years, I don't miss the garbage working in a large corporation brings to us-the politics, the kissing up and the way some people do act.

So count down and retire when you can! I was actually in Cancun on my last official day as an employee as I took 3 weeks of vacation time I had coming after my disability ended.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting. I have times when I have reservations about retiring, but then I'll have one of those "kiss up" days and it can't get here fast enough.

[quote name='internetwhiz']Thanks for posting. I have times when I have reservations about retiring, but then I'll have one of those "kiss up" days and it can't get here fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE] Me too! :rolleyes:

My father retired at 59. He was in bad health. He discovered the the average lifespan, at that time, for retired employees at his company was 67.5. He retired, moved to the west coast, bought a condo on a golf course, and played several times a week. His health improved incredibly. He lived to 87. Many of his contemporaries passed away much earlier.

I got a chance of an attractive package at ate 59. Took it and never looked back. We have lots of places to go and things to see before we are unable to travel any more.

If you can manage it financially, get out early. Change your occupation, volunteer, travel, whatever.

I have 39 weeks left to work. I'm a teacher and with all the new common core curriculum it is taking my nights and weekends, plus being extremely stressful. I plan to get a para professional job as soon as possible to have less stress. The pay is half of what I am making now but won't effect my retirement. I will be able to leave all work at school and see my kids and grandkids more without all the crazy stuff!!! Any other teachers out there dealing with the new standards?? Edited by zlacruising

Cool!! We can count down together. Weeks sound better in my mind than days...lol! Edited by zlacruising

Both of you who are counting down are lucky..remember there is a lot to do after retirement!

I volunteer now for several local theatre companies..they no longer get the funding they formerly did and volunteers is the only way they can continue, at a local Veterans Hospital and at the childrens ICU of another hospital, and at Dress for Success-an organization that helps women who haven't been i the work force and have no appropriate clothing to work in an office environment. We canvass for outgrown women's suits, skirts and shoes as well as casual clothing, and each week a woman comes to a DFS meeting she gets to pick out a new piece of business appropriate clothing-there are weekly meetings to help women who have never worked learn how to write resumes, learn business environment makeup and so on.

I go thru the clothing donations every week and decide if what we have is worth keeping or if we should pass it on to Salvation Army or Goodwill. You'd be surprised the types of inappropriate clothing people donate..stained, ripped shirts, mini skirts and other non business like clothing. I now think about what I donate myself-if *I* wouldn't wnt to wear it, I don't donate it! It's very inspiring for me, to help a young woman dress herself in a businesslike manner instead of t-shirts, sweatshirts and holey jeans.

Volunteering at my grand daughters school is another thing I enjoy a lot-and my daughter (her mom) spends one day every week at the school as a volunteer in the office.

There is so much to do when retired people..songet outa the 9-5 and into set your own hours!
elle

[quote name='Plantcrone']Both of you who are counting down are lucky..remember there is a lot to do after retirement!

I volunteer now for several local theatre companies..they no longer get the funding they formerly did and volunteers is the only way they can continue, at a local Veterans Hospital and at the childrens ICU of another hospital, and at Dress for Success-an organization that helps women who haven't been i the work force and have no appropriate clothing to work in an office environment. We canvass for outgrown women's suits, skirts and shoes as well as casual clothing, and each week a woman comes to a DFS meeting she gets to pick out a new piece of business appropriate clothing-there are weekly meetings to help women who have never worked learn how to write resumes, learn business environment makeup and so on.

I go thru the clothing donations every week and decide if what we have is worth keeping or if we should pass it on to Salvation Army or Goodwill. You'd be surprised the types of inappropriate clothing people donate..stained, ripped shirts, mini skirts and other non business like clothing. I now think about what I donate myself-if *I* wouldn't wnt to wear it, I don't donate it! It's very inspiring for me, to help a young woman dress herself in a businesslike manner instead of t-shirts, sweatshirts and holey jeans.

Volunteering at my grand daughters school is another thing I enjoy a lot-and my daughter (her mom) spends one day every week at the school as a volunteer in the office.

There is so much to do when retired people..songet outa the 9-5 and into set your own hours!
elle[/quote]

Oh my, I have so much I WANT to do! We have three granddaughters who are 4, 6, and 8 and all live here in town. I want to be able to do more with them and to be able to go help with parties, etc. at their schools.

One of our granddaughter's has multiple illnesses that require a lot of care. She has had five open-heart surgeries, has a compromised immune system, brain shunt, and autism to name a few...she is 6. I will be able to help more with her. Also, along that same line, I want to give back to our Children's hospital without whom, she would not be here. Sometimes parents just need someone to come and let them take a break or go to a movie. I would love to volunteer sit for that...I have already been doing some of that for other heart families we know. I know how to be careful with IV's, PICC lines, etc. Not something I ever thought I would know about, but since I do, I can help mine more and others.

We love to cruise, and I hope to find a way to parlay my knowledge into arranging some cruises for groups...

And the list goes on and on. The main thing is, as you say, having the freedom to CHOOSE what I want to do. I can't wait.

PS I donate clothing to that project. I am a plus sized woman, so they are always glad to get professional things in plus size for people to be able to "dress for success."

I also want to spend more time with my grandkids!!! And actually help out at school...but set my own hours!! YAY!!!

I'll have 25 years teaching, but worked for "ma bell" for 14 years before that! So I'll have almost 40 years working when I retire....I think that is enough...lol Edited by zlacruising

I think those of you who have been teachers have so much more to offer to schools..but on YOUR terms now.

Like fine arts, school budgets have been cut-I know you know that better than I do-and having someone come in to do one-on-one reading or maths with a child who needs individual help is so easy to do. I only go in every other week for 4 hours because I have so much else going on in my life. A few weeks ago I brought all my tie-dye dyes and every kid brought a shirt and we did some 'fine art' ourselves. Nothing like a group of gap toothed 2nd graders dressed like a troup of Deadheads. We had fun..it was cold because we set up in the playground and the first cold day hit but it was so much fun for the kids and for me.

I think it means a lot to grand children to have their grandparents work in their school..my youngest grand child goes to the same elementary school her mom went to and I'm so proud of allmy adult kids who all volunteer because they grew up with me volunteering..I was 'in' the Boy Scouts for 9 years-thru my 2 oldest boys scouting life then I foster parented for 10 years for teen aged girls who needed a safe home. I adopted my oldest daughter as a 13 year old because she was part of my heart...and her son is just as much a grandson as any of my others.

I have grand sons aged 23 and 21, a 21 year old grand daughter going to tattoo school..I'm very glad she found something she can use her artistic ability on and actually make money, then a 15 year old grand son and 8 year old grand daughter who I essentially live with....we are building a house together on the property my daughter grew up on..a huge lot just outside Portland Oregon, near Nike's World HQ's..

Well Im glad so many of you are looking forward to spending grandkid time..they are better than anything else around in my opinion!

Later
Elle (aka plantcrone)

That is great of you working with those second graders. Those are the ones I teach and I know they would love the tye-dye t-shirt activity. But times have changed here...a month into school this year one of them asked when they would be able to color in their color books. My heart broke. Sadly, the only time is on rainy day recesses when they stay in for the recess. Although we have a 20 minute art time we have so much that is mandatory that we teach we don't have time for art. That is called common core!! No one likes it, but I'm afraid it is here to stay.): These kids come into second grade as 6 and 7 year olds and are expected to do things they aren't ready for. Reading poems by Emily Dickenson and Robert Frost and trying to explain it to them...!!! Crazy!!! Or the new new math. As in decomposing 2 digit numbers and adding or subtracting from another 2 digit number when they don't even know their subtraction facts. Again Crazy!!! Ok...off my complaining. It is just really sad. Talk about setting them up for failure is not good!!

I think I'll return as the art fairy when I retire...lol!!!

Great thread.
My husband and I are both going parttime next year. I thought I'd be happy to do that for a few years (I"m 55) but now I'm planning retirement the following year (money pending). Another teacher here (in Australia).

Can I ask why people are saying people retiring early must be teachers? Do you have a good retirement package in the US? Under our old scheme teachers retire on nearly the same money but they scrapped that before I started (20 years ago) so no great pension.

And I feel for you with having to pay for your medical. Isn't Obama trying to bring in a medical scheme?

So I'm looking forward to 4 day weekends next year but I want to be free to jump on a ship whenever I see a good deal. I'm taking long service leave in June July next year and will do a cruise (hopefully to Russia) plus travel around Europe.

[quote name='sayaguru']Great thread.
My husband and I are both going parttime next year. I thought I'd be happy to do that for a few years (I"m 55) but now I'm planning retirement the following year (money pending). Another teacher here (in Australia).

Can I ask why people are saying people retiring early must be teachers? Do you have a good retirement package in the US? Under our old scheme teachers retire on nearly the same money but they scrapped that before I started (20 years ago) so no great pension.

And I feel for you with having to pay for your medical. Isn't Obama trying to bring in a medical scheme?

So I'm looking forward to 4 day weekends next year but I want to be free to jump on a ship whenever I see a good deal. I'm taking long service leave in June July next year and will do a cruise (hopefully to Russia) plus travel around Europe.[/QUOTE]

Good for you!!! The truth about teaching in my state....At 30 years you get 75% of your salary. I'll be getting 62% at 25 years. The only ones that get full pay is 40 years, and most don't stay that long. Our health insurance is $500 for 2 people per month. Obama...lets not go there...no telling what will happen..lol

Those cruises sound great to me!!! Always wanted to cruise Australia and New Zealand but just the airfare is too much for my pocketbook...lol!!

[quote name='zlacruising']Good for you!!! The truth about teaching in my state....At 30 years you get 75% of your salary. I'll be getting 62% at 25 years. The only ones that get full pay is 40 years, and most don't stay that long. Our health insurance is $500 for 2 people per month. Obama...lets not go there...no telling what will happen..lol

Those cruises sound great to me!!! Always wanted to cruise Australia and New Zealand but just the airfare is too much for my pocketbook...lol!![/QUOTE] wow! Those are seriously good pensions. I work in the public sector in the UK (Healthcare) and am on the 'old scheme' (ours have changed too), but can't touch those. I'll go at about 32 years with about a third of my Salary. My OH took early retirement from teaching at 55 (it was that or sacrifice his health). He lost. 25% by not waiting until 60, despite having 33 years and he gets less than 1/3 his salary! It will be much worse for those who come after us all. I wouldn't want to be beginning a career now :(

[quote name='Priya2']wow! Those are seriously good pensions. I work in the public sector in the UK (Healthcare) and am on the 'old scheme' (ours have changed too), but can't touch those. I'll go at about 32 years with about a third of my Salary. My OH took early retirement from teaching at 55 (it was that or sacrifice his health). He lost. 25% by not waiting until 60, despite having 33 years and he gets less than 1/3 his salary! It will be much worse for those who come after us all. I wouldn't want to be beginning a career now :([/QUOTE]

Yikes!!! I'm sort of like your husband. I have to wait til 62 to collect that amount with the 25 years. If I would do it now it would be 40%. Do you have to pay for your health insurance too? The new teachers coming in will not have the same plan. It has changed for them and not for the better.