Star Princess 12/26/04

loge23

I just read the nicely written Caribbean Princess review for the same period and thought I’d put in a report about the Star. We sailed along with the Caribbean for a part of this trip, meeting in St. Thomas and Nassau.

Embarkation: Wild. Apparently there was a problem with the gangway which caused quite a delay boarding. No big issue there. The problem was the complete lack of planning for crowd control in the terminal. Folks would enter an already packed terminal and stand on the line that was waiting to board (those whom had already checked in). After a while, word of mouth would filter around that one could simply thread their way to the check-in desk if they had not already done so. From there, instead of pushing your way back to the rear of the terminal, most folks just turned around and merged into the pack – there really wasn’t any line to speak of since the terminal personnel didn’t bother to set any up. So we had a near riot when the doors finally opened, but it all worked out fine because….

….this was a very nice cruise!

Ports: Puerto Rico (a late docking made this port largely superfluous for us), St. Thomas (the all-day catamaran to St. John’s, with Captain Peter on the Heavenly Days, is just the best), Tortola (see it now before there are jewelry stores on every corner) – very easy to get around by taxi to any beach you desire, and finally, Eyesau (I mean, Nassau – didn’t get off).

Food: Overall, excellent. Dining room, buffet, the outstanding pizza (hey forgettaboutit I grew up in NYC, this is good stuff!) – all nicely prepared and presented. We had PC dining – no real issues with the seating. A J Lo lookalike stood guard outside the Capri DR and kind of slowed things up, but she was trying! The buffets were all pretty good – some outstanding. Better than last years on the beautiful Coral.

We once again visited Sabatini’s. Curiously, this was the least of the food/service experience. The service was efficient, but indifferent – contrasted with the enthusiastic crew on our former visit on the Coral. The food was just OK – we chose lobster this time since we had a terrific veal chop the night before in the DR. The lobster in the DR on New Year’s Eve was far superior. Is this concept getting old?

Room: C deck w/ balcony, Port side. Typically fine although we had a very friendly and quite forgetful room steward!

Entertainment: The theatre shows are quite good. We took the backstage tour this year and were very impressed with the effort put forth in the theatre. The Princess Theatre is actually much more advanced than most West End or Broadway houses. Those kids work their tails off.

A very funny comic just killed with two terrific – and different – routines. Another guy later in the cruise also did well.

The musical acts –save for the excellent ship orchestra (strong jazzers) and the wonderful, but mostly invisible, solo jazz guitarist – were, at best, mediocre.

• Short takes: Why is the gym on the Grand class ships so small?? Other, smaller Princess vessels have larger gyms – go figure.

• $19.95 for a picture?? That’s a real negative!

• Ditto for the specialty coffee charge – in Sabatini’s!! Tacky!

• No Champagne waterfall this time – may have been a little rocky on the high seas for that sort of thing.

• Can we please have one – out of the four pools– for an adult only? Please!

• No big complaints about the kids really. Everyone we met was happy and friendly.

• Heartbreak for the Tsunami victims and much concern onboard for the Thailand and Indonesian crew members. Our waiters in the Capri were genuinely grateful that we asked about their family (they were fine).

• If there’s a better tour in St. Thomas than the Heavenly Days cat to St. John’s I’m missing it and will do so again.

• I loved my martini at the Wheelhouse pre-dinner on N.Y.E. Sat opposite a British couple – he politely, and gingerly, expressed his “surprise” that the current U.S. administration was re-elected!

• Great party for NYE in the atrium – what a blast!

• Those art auctions aren’t bad. We brought a new house recently and set about decorating the walls. Very good deals onboard and some fun to boot.

• Left the ship relaxed, fat, and happy and looking forward to our next Princess cruise!

I also was on the sailing and had a great cruise!

Pre-cruise stayed at Amerisuites which was only $99 with tax from Expedia. They recently remodeled the rooms with new carpet, linens and things. We flew the red eye in took their free shuttle and was able to check in early. Amerisuites really came through for us at the end of the cruise (later)

A few Highlights:

My first Elite cruise so took advantage of the free dry cleening and the 10% discount in the shops. Also was invited to the Captains lunch for one of the most traveled passengers. Very nice only 24 invited. Dined with Marcello Senior First Officer.

Portofino Dining room service was excellent. Ask for Fransecso or Pino the head waiters they took care of us. Of course we did tip extra as we had a large group trying to dine together most of the nights. I felt the food was very good to excellent, enjoyed the Lamb Chops the most. Ask for the waiters or Head Waiter what he reccomends and you can never go wrong. I have done this since I met Francesco where he clued me into this on my 2nd Princess cruise and I always have a great dining experience since. I do not set my expectations too high though. The pizza is my favorite too at the grill by the pool.

Very well behaved group on this cruise as it was last New Years Eve. No problem with children did not really see that many. The higher price you pay solves this situation.

Tortola we took the full day sail on the White Squall 2 which I booked direct with them and we had a blast. We had 2 snorkel and 1 beach stop. It is a beautiful island and you are lucky if you stop there.

Ship was in excellent condition. It was my 4th time on this ship and it looked as good as new.

A few challanges:

Weather was a bit windy and overcast for a good part of the cruise. The ship was more rocky than I would have liked and it did cause our sail to St Johns with Princess to go to St James instead. Mother Nature though and not much you can do about that

I was the first person at the spa to make an appointment. They set up a table in the excersise room to make appointments. I had wanted to get a regular massage and a manicure and pedicure. They said they did not have any appts for the massage only the "special" services (seaweed wrap, stone massage etc). After really pressing the issue I finally got a 1 hour at 12:00 San Juan Day at $109. No regular manicure and pedicure available only the one for $105. No thanks! First time I did not get my nails done before a trip and that will never happen again. I was really ticked and so were a lot of people especially those of us who have been there before and caught on to what they were doing. Michele did a good massage though.

Head Waiter in Sabatini's was not that pleasant. We went on New Years eve and he was stressed out. We had a group of 14 split in 2 tables and we brought 8 bottles of champagne with us and I think he freaked out. he finally chilled out when Francesco came up to say hello and he then knew we knew people and we were not a bunch of idiots. Food was excellent but they changed the cheese gnocci to potato. That was my favorite part of the meal so I was disapointed a bit.

Disembarcation was the worst thing I have ever seen. First they did not let people of the ship until 9:00 a.m. I had friends on the week before and they did not get off until 9:00 or so either. There were 6 other ships in port including the Caribbean adjacent. We went went our tag was called, had a later flight so did not rush.

When we got outside the line to the taxi was long and I mean really long. The porter dumped us and off he went. At that point we looked at out bags and out of 4 of us 3 of our bags were ripped, missing legs, bent frames. I do not know what Princess did with these bags. Anyhow the line was not moving so we called Amersuites and asked if they had a room. They were sold out but said we could store out luggage there for the day and send over the shuttle for us. Yahooo and thank goodness. We were sitting down at Bimini having bruch by 11:30.

Meanwhile others in our group spent 2 more hours in the taxi line. Two others missed their flights but got on the next one due to the passengers probably still in the taxi line. Two in our group then sat on the run way for almost 2 hours. One group who missed their flight had to rent a car and drive to St Petersburg. They did not get home until midnight. Same time as me and I flew to the West Coast and did not leave until 8:45 p.m. h boy were people upset. Too many ships in port. Not sure who is to blame for that one.

Overall excellent cruise and of course I am frantically trying to book another this week as my signatures are all negative now.

Thanks for the review. Will be on the Star come April. Please elaborate a little more about the cat cruise to St. John. That is what I am looking at to book. Did you do it through Princess excursions or on your own. If on your pwn, would appreciate how to contact. Unfortunately for me, I need shade - was shade available on the Cat. I know I can find some ashore - been to STJ before and love it there. Does the cat pull right up to the beach or do you have to swim in :eek:

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Thanks for the 2 different reviews. Glad both of you had good trips.I was on the Star on the 12th and we did have the Champaigne Waterfall on the 2nd formal night - so I wonder if it was too rocky for you guys. We started disembarking right at 8:15. I was one of the last people off the ship at 9:30 (I didn't have a flight to catch that day). I agree about the dancers/entertainment. These dancers work really hard and are impressive. I also love Princess pizza.

I would love too see pictures of the all day sail. I really wanted to go on this but I was traveling with my mom and I didn't think she would enjoy it. It is on my list of things to do!

Logie - can you tell me what tour you were on and what you thought of St James - I have never heard of that. Was it nice?

Thanks for the reviews!

Theresa

Theresa

The sail to St James happened because the weather was too rough for the catamaran to go to St John's. This excursion I booked through Princess and it was billed as the Champagne catamaran 1/2 day to St Johns. It was an ok deal. The champagne came at the extreme end of the sail.

The whole day sail in Tortola I did not take my camera, but I know someone in my group did. You can go to their website and get some information.

I think that probably not doing the waterfall was a good idea. It was rough.

Thanks for a great review.

I was looking forward to ordering lobster at Sabatinnis, having heard that it was much better than the dining room. What would you suggest as an alternate?

We're driving to Ft. Lauderdale and can't decide whether to park at the port or Park N Fly. Was the taxi delay caused by alot of taxis or problems with any type of vehicle coming into the port (Park N Fly would be sending a van or something like it to pick us up). Would it be easier to park at the lot?

Have done "Heavenly Days with Captain Pete several times & am booked again

for March when we are on the Star.

After 44 cruises, have to agree that this is one on the best excursions ever.

Logie................ Fransecso the Head Waiter you mentioned, was he from Portugal??? We had one by that name on the Golden last year and he was by far one the the best. Would love to see him again on the Star in March. Can

you please tell me who the Cruise Director & Maitre D' were???

To those of you just returning, was there a deck party with food? Last time we had the deck party on the aft of the ship but I don't remember if there was food/desert buffet on deck.

Also, how was Skywalker's at night? I'm sure it varies depending on the type of passengers sailing that week, but was there a lot of activity up there? While on RCCL Vision last year, the party died early. Many a night it was only a few of us on the dance floor.

Anyone? Thanks!

Aft pool is still for adults only

Alternate at Sabatini's the waiters always suggested to get the Prawns, the lobster was very tiny this time

Francesco is Italian and he is one who's fiance works in Sabatini's

Cruise director was Neil Roberts, never saw him or much of the cruise staff but don't personally need them or the entertainment to make a good cruise for me

Skywalkers was open late every night and busy. The New Years cruises are definitely much busier than the other cruises

Deck party but did not go so do not know if there was food or not

Senior Maitre d' hotel was Mario Propato, have seen him many times before.

Thank you all for the comments.

Logie (no relation!): congrats on your Elite status! All cruises are good, some are better!

• I agree with Logie re: the Sabatini Head Waiter, Maitre ‘D, or whatever he fancied himself as. He was, frankly, a pompous fool. I would venture that he set the tone for the uninspired service. I suppose I can be a pompous fool at times also but I try not to let that happen around customers (or other humans)!

• Also agree the disembark was quite longer than usual.

• As for the cat: The Heavenly Days sails from Bolongo Bay (http://www.bolongobay.com), a resort on St. Thomas. The good Captain (a ringer for Jimmy Buffett, by the way) told me that he does about 50/50 between cruises and hotel guests. He sails everyday. We booked through Princess – it’s called the All Day Sail to St. John’s (RT). I don’t know if you can book this individually. The both times we sailed the cat was full with cruisers. Don’t worry about the shade – you can sit in the shade. There is a below deck or you may situate yourself in the shade of the sails on deck. Also, the cat pulls right up to the dock alongside the ship. Very short walk – no wading! They serve a nice lunch – not gourmet but very good, remember you are on a sailboat! Also, plenty of libations throughout. If you are of the persuasion, ask for one of the Captain’s Bloody Mary’s!

• Mafig: We always drive down to the parking garage at the dock. It’s not cheap ($12/day) , but awfully convenient. I recommend.

• Jrtmouse: There was an Island Night party, but I don’t recall any large display of food on deck. As for Skywalker’s – it’s fantastic! There may still be folks up there from New Year’s Eve!

• Tom-n-jules: Unfortunately no pools were off limits. The best bet was the “Buddha” pool outside of the spa. Most folks never find it! But, as I mentioned, the kids weren’t bad. Just kids being kids – and we all know how much they love swimming pools (and cannonballs!)

Happy cruisin’ everyone! I read a ton of these before my trip and I know how much fun it is to hear about good things that await you.

Archived