Iberian Airline

iamwhatiamnot

Never. What do you mean by a "bumpy ride"?

Bumpy ride - small seats, poor food, lousy service.

Goodness that sound awfull but did a Monach a couple of years ago and the cabin crew were absolutely dire. It was an overnight flight back from Barbados and they blocked off one of the front toilets behind their galley with a cardboard box closed the curtain and put blankets over themselves to go to sleep. It nearly ended up with one chap having a fight with one of the cabin crew over trying to use the toilet.

Bumpy ride - small seats, poor food, lousy service.

Goodness that sound awfull but did a Monach a couple of years ago and the cabin crew were absolutely dire. It was an overnight flight back from Barbados and they blocked off one of the front toilets behind their galley with a cardboard box closed the curtain and put blankets over themselves to go to sleep. It nearly ended up with one chap having a fight with one of the cabin crew over trying to use the toilet.

Well, on longhaul flights, the crew does get a rest period and usually have seats that they block off with curtains. True of any airline. On a TATL flight this year, I watched the Business class attendant come back to coach, and tell people they could move over and sit in the crew rest seats; no idea why she did that as she knew they were the crew rests. Some fireworks ensued when the FAs in coach finally noticed. At least the argument with passengers who didn't want to return to their original seats, and between the FAs provided some entertainment.

I've never flown Iberia, but plenty of reviews here:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/iberia.htm

Anyone flown long haul with Iberia. What are they like A340 in economy are we in for a bumpy ride. Your advice please.
Iberia has IMO an undeserved bad reputation for service. In coach their planes are pretty standard stuff - not much leg room, main screen (as opposed to seatback) video, airplane food - quite Spanish, which can be disconcerting for people unused to it. Service can be brusque or fine, just as you'll find on most carriers. Assuming you're flying long-haul, that means a transfer at Madrid Barajas airport, which IMO is one of the best airports in Europe.

Their A340s are set up as 2-4-2, so a couple traveling together can sit next to each other on the outsides, rather than taking 2 out of 3 seats (as is the case, for example, with British Airways' planes, which all have 3-X-3 seating.)

What's your route?

Iberia has IMO an undeserved bad reputation for service. In coach their planes are pretty standard stuff - not much leg room, main screen (as opposed to seatback) video, airplane food - quite Spanish, which can be disconcerting for people unused to it. Service can be brusque or fine, just as you'll find on most carriers. Assuming you're flying long-haul, that means a transfer at Madrid Barajas airport, which IMO is one of the best airports in Europe.

Their A340s are set up as 2-4-2, so a couple traveling together can sit next to each other on the outsides, rather than taking 2 out of 3 seats (as is the case, for example, with British Airways' planes, which all have 3-X-3 seating.)

What's your route?

Heathrow to Madrid - Madrid to San Juan. The last leg is the bit I am obviously concerned with as it is about 15hrs. Not too worried about the in service tv as we have books, DS's and ipod's more worried about seat comfort and flight attendants treatment. Food well everyone know's what that's like and if it is spanish then fine we go there all the time and are quite used to their cuisine. Just want a bit of comfort.

Heathrow to Madrid - Madrid to San Juan. The last leg is the bit I am obviously concerned with as it is about 15hrs. Not too worried about the in service tv as we have books, DS's and ipod's more worried about seat comfort and flight attendants treatment. Food well everyone know's what that's like and if it is spanish then fine we go there all the time and are quite used to their cuisine. Just want a bit of comfort.
Say what? Are we talking San Juan, Puerto Rico? The flight time from MAD is 8 1/2 hours. Or are you counting total travel time from London?

As for service, well, it's economy class. What can I say? On some Iberia flights I've had flight attendants who seemed to be harried and unconcerned, other times I've watched them deliver 110% effort - older pax, kids, etc. I don't think one can use generalities. If you go to Spain often and have some Spanish language skills, I think you'll find the FAs really respond positively.

The seats? Well, 17" wide, pretty standard, and 32" pitch, also pretty standard. It's certainly better than outfits like Thompson, who cram people into seats that wouldn't pass muster on a city bus. But it's not business class (which on Iberia is quite good.)

Well, on longhaul flights, the crew does get a rest period and usually have seats that they block off with curtains. True of any airline. On a TATL flight this year, I watched the Business class attendant come back to coach, and tell people they could move over and sit in the crew rest seats; no idea why she did that as she knew they were the crew rests. Some fireworks ensued when the FAs in coach finally noticed. At least the argument with passengers who didn't want to return to their original seats, and between the FAs provided some entertainment.

I've never flown Iberia, but plenty of reviews here:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/iberia.htm

Thanks for the link - have just checked it out does not make very good reading but I am trying to stay positive.

Say what? Are we talking San Juan, Puerto Rico? The flight time from MAD is 8 1/2 hours. Or are you counting total travel time from London?

As for service, well, it's economy class. What can I say? On some Iberia flights I've had flight attendants who seemed to be harried and unconcerned, other times I've watched them deliver 110% effort - older pax, kids, etc. I don't think one can use generalities. If you go to Spain often and have some Spanish language skills, I think you'll find the FAs really respond positively.

The seats? Well, 17" wide, pretty standard, and 32" pitch, also pretty standard. It's certainly better than outfits like Thompson, who cram people into seats that wouldn't pass muster on a city bus. But it's not business class (which on Iberia is quite good.)

I thought it said 15 hrs on the Iberian site for Madrid to San Juan maybe I was looking at the total hrs from London/Madrid/San Juan. Are you sure it is only 8.5hrs cos that would be fantastic news to me.

We do have a bit of spanish and 4 pax are just retirement age and one 89 year old so hopefully we will fall into the catagory of 110% effort. You have obviously travelled with these can we get a drink tea/coffee if we ask at anytime during the flight and maybe an alcholic drink to start our holiday off on the right foot. We don't drink a lot of long haul but do like a glass of wine with a meal and like I say maybe a G&T to start our hols off.

We just did rountrip flights on Iberia from JFK - Madrid - Rome. We had no problems whatsoever. I read horrible reviews on this site, but still chanced it due to the low prices that Iberia offered.

Boarding at JFK was fine. They boarded from the back to the front, and there was plenty of overhead space available for luggage. But they do the announcements in Spanish first, then English. So if that is a problem, then you will not like Iberia.

The flight to Madrid was about 6 hours. They serve you a dinner which was pretty good - a choice of chicken or beef. The standard airline type dinner. We flew in coach, so I don't know what Business class got. They also served a breakfast. Pretty much a boxed affair - a sandwich, pastry, side, and dessert. They are a little skimpy on serving soft drinks, but wine and beer are free on the long haul flights. And they will serve you coffee and water until you want to pop. The restrooms were clean. The flight attendants were a little cold, but no more than I see on airlines like United. The Airbus 340 on the way over was comfortable and very new. The even had very recent movies in English.

From Madrid to Rome, the boarding seemed to lose control. They tried to call row numbers, but the messages in English were few and far between. After a few minutes, people just crowded up to the gate. But there was still no problem with seating or overhead storage. That flight was on an Airbus 320. Food and drink were available, but the all had a cost. No freebies on the short flights.

On the way back, checking in took a little time. You can checking online from the US to Rome, but cannot on the way back. But the line moved quick and the counter person was nice and we were assigned the seats we had selected online. Boarding went well, and we were on our way.

On the flight to Madrid, it was the same type of 320. No freebies on the short flights.

In Madrid, the international flight boarding went well and was organized.

They served a hot lunch, chicken or pasta, and again a departing meal. I watched "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" in English. The restrooms were clean, and the attendants were a little cold. All announcements are in Spanish first, but it makes you understand what it is like for a foreign person on a US Airline. The Airbus 340 was a little older on this leg, and the seats were uncomfortable to me.

But with all that said, I would not hesitate to fly Iberia again. The prices were right, and the service was fine. That's just my opinion.

I thought it said 15 hrs on the Iberian site for Madrid to San Juan maybe I was looking at the total hrs from London/Madrid/San Juan. Are you sure it is only 8.5hrs cos that would be fantastic news to me.

We do have a bit of spanish and 4 pax are just retirement age and one 89 year old so hopefully we will fall into the catagory of 110% effort. You have obviously travelled with these can we get a drink tea/coffee if we ask at anytime during the flight and maybe an alcholic drink to start our holiday off on the right foot. We don't drink a lot of long haul but do like a glass of wine with a meal and like I say maybe a G&T to start our hols off.

This Saturday's MAD-SJU flight departs MAD at 4:50 PM, arrives SJU at 7:10 PM (local time) for a flight duration of 8h 20m. It's 15 min. longer in mid-winter due to headwinds en route. Going back is a half hour quicker year-round, because of tailwinds.

Yes, you'll get your G & Ts. Or, better, some ace sherries or cava.

We flew Iberia in May from Boston to Madrid and then Madrid to Bilbao. I, too, had read many negative comments about the airline before our trip but we had absolutely no issues. Departed and arrived on time in both cases and happily, all of our luggage made the same trip along with us!

I believe we flew on an A340. Coach is coach - not tons of leg room but it was doable. Blankets and pillows were on the seats when we got on the plane in Boston for our overnight flight. We were fed a decent hot dinner and had free wine and beer with it. Lots of drinkable coffee and a decent breakfast as well. Later in the evening they set up a cart in the galley area with sodas, juices, etc, for the taking.

While the flight attendants did not ooze warmth or personality they did their jobs just fine (and were much nicer than the AA attendants on our return to the States!). One thing I learned about Iberia is they have a terrific saftey record and that speaks volumes.

If you've never flown through the Madrid airport you're in for a surprise. It is very funky, modern and clean!

I have just flown Business to NY two weeks ago, but dozens in coach in longhaul. It´s just a standard regular coach class. Mediocre, but not nothing to avoid. I wouldn´t choose Iberia if I have a better option in airlines with individual screens, but if I had to, not problem.

Decent pitch, standard food, new planes and really profession pilots. Don´t expect really friendy cabin crews. Just OK. Usually puntual, and with not more luggage problems than others. So as you would expect when travelling on many american carriers in coach.

Thanks for posting your experiences with Iberia. I've got a hold on a JFK - MAD - BCN one way to catch a cruise late Nov. Have never taken Iberia and am concerned that there is currently a 2 day crew strike that is causing cancellation of loads of flights. For those who have flown Iberia often, is this common? Would hate to miss the cruise since the MAD-BCN leg is first thing in the morning the day of the cruise.:eek:

Anybody have any airport (Madrid) hotel recommendations?

Iberia told me yesterday that a glass of wine is $2.50 per. But I gather that is incorrect at least for transatlantic flights?

For the poster who continued onto Rome as a short flight, did they at least serve coffee or soft drinks complimentary or is everything a charge?:eek:

tada, was your JFK flight full? I'm scheduled to be on the 9:05 pm one, not the 6:00 pm. Of course, it will vary day by day, week by week.;)

Thanks for posting your experiences with Iberia. I've got a hold on a JFK - MAD - BCN one way to catch a cruise late Nov. Have never taken Iberia and am concerned that there is currently a 2 day crew strike that is causing cancellation of loads of flights. For those who have flown Iberia often' date=' is this common? Would hate to miss the cruise since the MAD-BCN leg is first thing in the morning the day of the cruise.:eek:

Anybody have any airport (Madrid) hotel recommendations?

Iberia told me yesterday that a glass of wine is $2.50 per. But I gather that is incorrect at least for transatlantic flights?

For the poster who continued onto Rome as a short flight, did they at least serve coffee or soft drinks complimentary or is everything a charge?:eek:

tada, was your JFK flight full? I'm scheduled to be on the 9:05 pm one, not the 6:00 pm. Of course, it will vary day by day, week by week.;)[/quote']

Our preferred airport hotel (free shuttle) at MAD - Clement Barajas - http://www.clementhoteles.com/en/barajas.htm - which is located in a (walkable) town rather than some airport no-mans-land.

Wine and beer is free on longhauls; not sure about booze but probably also free. I believe IB has moved to a buy-on-board policy for booze on shorthaul.

I think most of your answers can be gleaned from a trip report (Dublin - Rio) filed on http://www.flyertalk.com today - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1010056-cheap-trip-brazil-iberia-ib-tam-jj-experiences-economy.html

Archived