Wine at dinner

Kokopelli2

Hi all!

We are sailing on the Paradise in a couple weeks and I had a question about taking a bottle of wine to dinner. I read that there is a corking fee. My PVP said to take my own corkscrew to avoid that. But I read that someone opens their bottle in the room. Can I open my own bottle at the table, or do I have to carry an open bottle to the MDR?

Thanks for your help.....

The corking fee, is because its your bottle, not just because they are opening it. They could still charge you a corking fee either way, its just a chance.

Some people just pour a glass of wine and take it to the dining room that way to make sure they avoid the corking fee, as there is no way of telling whose bottle it is that way.

I have heard that too. We love our wine with dinner, so we will be trying this out. Maybe I will take the wine unopened on the first night and see how it goes from there....

Most people who even have their wine opened arent charged a corkage fee, seems to be a rare thing. Maybe they figure folks are going to get upset if they are charged.

Part of our group cruise package includes a bottle of wine in the stateroom. I have always assumed any wine provided by Carnival would not be subject to any corkage fee if brought to dinner.

I don't know how they can tell if you brought the bottle or if they provided it. Maybe they just remember the labels.

If you buy the bottle on board there is no corkage fee (at least this was our experience in May).

We had a vow renewal on our cruise and had left over champagne (unopened) from that. We also had a bottle of sparkling wine that we brought on board.

We were not charged corkage fee for any of them.

Good luck, and have a fine time :)

Just twist off the top and enjoy......:p

Hey there's an idea. There are some good wines now that are coming "cork-free". We can take those to dinner and if they try to charge a "corkage" fee - "Ummm, there is no cork"! haha

You may laugh, but some really upscale vineyards are moving to screw tops now. Much easier to ensure the bottles remain air tight over time and the wine stable. :D

I understand that some vineyards are doing just that, but it still reminds me of cheap (in-expensive) wine.

Its not that I am against inexpensive wines; but if I am going to pay a premium, for a bottle of wine onboard, I want a real cork.

I understand that some vineyards are doing just that, but it still reminds me of cheap (in-expensive) wine.

Its not that I am against inexpensive wines; but if I am going to pay a premium, for a bottle of wine onboard, I want a real cork.

Right up until you end up with a dry one breaking in two inside a forty dollar bottle. :eek: I have experienced this at home. I was NOT a happy camper.

Then you will see the wisdom of a screw top. :D

Archived