Sydney Questions

ssbeagle

Sydney Harbour Bridge was closed today, with 6000 people invited to picnic on grass on the bridge. You have just got to love a city willing to do that!

Must have been quite a traffic jam! :D

Can anyone provide some good information on hotels near the port and some good restaurants close to those hotels? Right now I am limited in how much walking I can do. If I get my knee replacement surgery before we go, it may be easier. Won't know until I do it.

I really appreciate all the answers from you :).

Can anyone provide some good information on hotels near the port and some good restaurants close to those hotels?
There are many choices. Some of Sydney's best hotels and restaurants are in the Circular Quay area. It all depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

There are many choices. Some of Sydney's best hotels and restaurants are in the Circular Quay area. It all depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

I know hotels are pricey compare to the US so I am looking for anwhere up to $300/night. One I am considering is the Marriott at Circular Cay. Haven't done too much research on others yet.

You might have a look at Travelodge Wynyard. You should be able to get a room for $150 or less. I saw someone win a Priceline bid for $80. The hotel is clean and modern inside...but not a ton of amenities so if you want a 4* or 5* hotel this isn't the one. Also they are not riot right on the harbor, it's about a 15 minute walk to Circ Quay and the Rocks. But being a bit farther south they are convenient to Darling Harbour and downtown stores. The namesake train station is 100m from their lobby so getting to/from the airport or onto the train system is a breeze.

I know hotels are pricey compare to the US so I am looking for anwhere up to $300/night. One I am considering is the Marriott at Circular Cay.
One option, if you're willing to take some risk about where you end up, is to bid for a 5* on the name-your-own-price side of Priceline. Historically, the Sydney Harbour Marriott (the one at Circular Quay) has almost always been the only hotel to accept bids at this quality level - often at around the USD 150 per night level, plus Priceline's fees etc.

But there have been some more recent reports that another hotel has also accepted some bids, so there is now a greater chance that you will end up somewhere else.

Qu[/b]ay) has almost always been the only hotel to accept bids at this quality level - often at around the USD 150 per night level, plus Priceline's fees etc.

Did anyone watch The Apprentice last night? The whole episode was in the Sydney Harbour Marriott... some guests were not as happy as others about the experience!

Can anyone recommend a good hotel near the port in Sydney? Also looking for a car service that we can use from the airport to hotel. Am I correct that tips are not given in Sydney?

I am from sydney and you need to know if you are leaving from Circular quay which is on the rail line or Darling Harbour which isn't.

Try wotif.com.au for good hotel deals one month in advance.

Tipping is becoming more common, and you would be expected at least to not take silver change in taxis or restaurants. good restaurants expect a tip, but it isn't mandatory like in the US. Hairdressers don't expect it.

We are on the Rhapsody in February and will fly from Sydney to Brisbane on Virgin Blue the day we get off the ship. We have booked an 11:15 am flight and I'm concerned that might be too early. However, we don't have to get to the airport as early as an international flight. Should we take a cab or the train?

Also, for those who are familiar with domestic flights and Virgin Blue, how tough are they on the weight limits? We like to travel with 2 carryon sized bags (check one, carry one) that are roughly 30 lbs each. I have prepaid for 23 kg. If I check both, do they add the weight together?

Thanks!

Budget domestic airlines, eg Virgin Blue are quite strict about baggage size and weight so check their website carefully. Also, make sure you check in with plenty of time to spare as they are usually pretty inflexible about allowing you on the flight if you miss the checkin deadline. Again, the website will have info.

As for Sydney hotels, I always stay in the Holiday Inn in the Rocks disctrict tucked right next to the Bridge and a 10min stroll to Circular Quay. It's a Holiday Inn so you get what it says on the tin but it's convenient, clean and in a great location although you might not get a water view.

As for getting there, if you are 4 adults + bags grab a maxi cab at the airport (the marshall will rustle one up for you) and go door to door. I too am puzzled why so many people are so reluctant and/or suspicious about taking cabs. $40 split between 4 people seems like a bargain to me!

Tips: Still not generally expected (long may it last) but appreciated nevertheless if you want to reward particularly good service.

Promisekeeper- From personal experience on Jetstar, and reading other travel message boards the discount airlines in Oz (Jetstar, Virgin Blue, and Tiger) are very strict on baggage weight and allowance. That applies to checked bags and carry-on. They don't look the other way like airlines in the US do. I'm guessing the last-minute "fines" for excess are a good revenue source. This isn't a slam on those airlines, as they do clearly state the limits during the booking process and allow options to avoid the extra fees.

I also concur that cutoff times for check in and being at the gate are enforced to the minute. Literally one minute late and you could forfeit the entire ticket if it was in the cheapest fare category.

They don't look the other way like airlines in the US do.

That's pretty much in the past, nowdays US airlines have gotten pretty strick on bagagge size/weight. Some even charge for the 1st bag. :eek:

Just a quick heads up about Tiger Airlines. Yes, they are super cheap BUT they are also super unreliable with frequently cancelled or seriously delayed flights. They run on the barest margins and if one aircraft is delayed for any reason the whole network suffers from the knockon effect. If that happens you might be offered a seat on the next available flight which may not be until the next day and you certainly won't be offered overnight accommodation or any other financial compensation. So if you are working to a deadline with your ship's arrival/departure beware! And read the small print very carefully about checkin times and baggage weight allowances because they are strictly enforced. The best budget airline is Virgin Blue IMO but be aware that the price they advertise on the internet is often supplemented by various airport taxes, fuel surcharges, etc, in fact any excuse to charge more. It's still a good deal but the "$99 specials" are usually too good to be true.

Promisekeeper- From personal experience on Jetstar, and reading other travel message boards the discount airlines in Oz (Jetstar, Virgin Blue, and Tiger) are very strict on baggage weight and allowance. That applies to checked bags and carry-on. They don't look the other way like airlines in the US do. I'm guessing the last-minute "fines" for excess are a good revenue source. This isn't a slam on those airlines, as they do clearly state the limits during the booking process and allow options to avoid the extra fees.

I also concur that cutoff times for check in and being at the gate are enforced to the minute. Literally one minute late and you could forfeit the entire ticket if it was in the cheapest fare category.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. We will be very careful about the weight of our luggage. I am concerned about our backpacks, where we carry meds, travel docs, electronic equipment, cameras, all my makeup, curling iron, etc. I am going to practice pack and weigh carefully. We did each get Kindles so we have cut out a lot of weight by eliminating 3-4 books we often carry. We even found a travel book on Australia on Kindle Books--Lonely Planet Australia!

Now, all you seasoned Aussie travelers on Virgin Blue, what would you do about an 11:15 am flight from Sydney to Brisbane on the day of disembarkation? If we get off the ship even as late as 9 am shouldn't we be able to make it? Or, just to be safe, should we take an early afternoon flight?

Thanks so much.

Annette

That's pretty much in the past, nowdays US airlines have gotten pretty strick on bagagge size/weight. Some even charge for the 1st bag.
But I think kenish's observation still holds good for cabin baggage, where the US airlines' published allowances are often rather more generous, and then the gate agents and cabin crew look the other way when stuff is even bigger and heavier than officially allowed.
Now, all you seasoned Aussie travelers on Virgin Blue, what would you do about an 11:15 am flight from Sydney to Brisbane on the day of disembarkation? If we get off the ship even as late as 9 am shouldn't we be able to make it? Or, just to be safe, should we take an early afternoon flight?
If you think that you might not get off the ship until 9 am, I think that 11.15 am would be pushing it. Between getting off, getting your bags, getting transport and getting to the airport, it might take you an hour or so, or a bit more. That doesn't leave you with much margin if things go wrong. (Think: What if the ship is 1½ hours late arriving in Sydney?)

What time is your ship scheduled to dock?

But I think kenish's observation still holds good for cabin baggage, where the US airlines' published allowances are often rather more generous, and then the gate agents and cabin crew look the other way when stuff is even bigger and heavier than officially allowed.If you think that you might not get off the ship until 9 am, I think that 11.15 am would be pushing it. Between getting off, getting your bags, getting transport and getting to the airport, it might take you an hour or so, or a bit more. That doesn't leave you with much margin if things go wrong. (Think: What if the ship is 1½ hours late arriving in Sydney?)

What time is your ship scheduled to dock?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing which started this whole quandry. But, our ship should dock at 5 am, and as Diamond Plus members of Crown and Anchor, we can be the first to disembark. Also, we travel with 2 carry ons each so we can walk off with our bags. But, I don't know the routine in Australia for disembarkation, and it could take longer than Europe or the US, and I am unfamiliar with customs coming from New Zealand to Australia. Usually we are off the ship with our bags at 8 am on most cruises.

All of that being said, there is no rush to get to Brisbane other than trying to be checked into our Surfer's Paradise hotel by mid afternoon. So why stress out? I have already booked the 11:15 am flight but I will go on the website to see what it will take to change to the later flight, just to have that information.

Thanks for the reality check. Sometimes I am overly ambitious with my planning.

Annette

Yes, I was thinking the same thing which started this whole quandry. But, our ship should dock at 5 am, and as Diamond Plus members of Crown and Anchor, we can be the first to disembark. Also, we travel with 2 carry ons each so we can walk off with our bags. But, I don't know the routine in Australia for disembarkation, and it could take longer than Europe or the US, and I am unfamiliar with customs coming from New Zealand to Australia. Usually we are off the ship with our bags at 8 am on most cruises.

All of that being said, there is no rush to get to Brisbane other than trying to be checked into our Surfer's Paradise hotel by mid afternoon. So why stress out? I have already booked the 11:15 am flight but I will go on the website to see what it will take to change to the later flight, just to have that information.

Thanks for the reality check. Sometimes I am overly ambitious with my planning.

Annette

If you can change your flight, you might want to consider flying from Sydney to the Gold Coast, rather than Brisbane, although both have airport shuttles to Surfers Paradise hotels.

If you can change your flight, you might want to consider flying from Sydney to the Gold Coast, rather than Brisbane, although both have airport shuttles to Surfers Paradise hotels.

Actually, our flight is not to Brisbane but to the Gold Coast airport. I made the reservations back in July and I had forgotten that. There are fewer flights and that is why I chose the 11:15 flight rather than the 1:30 flight. It will cost 20AUD pp to make the change. So I am still mulling it over!

It should be similar here; from the scenario you described, you'd have left the terminal by 8 a.m. (and may well have done it by 6:30-7 a.m.) in any typical situation here as well. It's more a case of accounting for the unexpected so depends how much leeway you like to leave for that.

Personally I wouldn't risk cutting it quite so tight and would go for an early afternoon flight. If anything happens to delay you there could be a problem. Virgin Blue strictly enforces its checkin deadline so better safe than sorry. Sorry if I keep banging on about this but visitors don't always realise that Aussie airlines are a lot less flexible about this kind of thing than others and I've seen tempers get very frayed when people are told they are too late to travel even if the plane is still at the gate and other passengers are boarding.

Thanks, all, I am convinced that it is silly to cut it so close. So I am going to change our reservations to the 1:10 flight. For $30 I can have a relaxed end of the cruise and not worry about getting to the airport on time. I appreciate everyone's advice! If you are ever in Tampa, FL and need some travel info, give me a shout.

Annette

Thanks, all, I am convinced that it is silly to cut it so close. So I am going to change our reservations to the 1:10 flight. For $30 I can have a relaxed end of the cruise and not worry about getting to the airport on time. I appreciate everyone's advice! If you are ever in Tampa, FL and need some travel info, give me a shout.

Annette

Assuming your ship arrives as scheduled, suggest you reward yourself by requesting a late checkout from the ship, so you can enjoy Sydney's beautiful Harbour, overlooking the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Then you can stroll off this ship after all the queues are gone, as we did.

PS We love Tampa area - Florida's secret.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used Air Pacific to fly over to Sydney? How are the flights/planes. I know they use 747s and according to seatguru.com, they have only business class and not a very big one. Also, has anyone booked through Priceline for airline reservations? Are they the ones that don't give reserved seats?

Archived