Wind Surf dining options

Psoque

Hi. We are sailing on Wind Surf next month. This will be our first time with Windstar. We have been reading on how things are supposed to work in terms of dining arrangements on Wind Surf, and are very surprised that there are three? alternatives to the main dining room on a ship that only accomodates about 300 passengers. I read that in addition to the Restaurant, we can dine at Degrees, Le Marche, and Candles.

Is there a particular "strategy" to try all of the alternative dining venues? Do all restaurants change their menus daily? Or is there a particular night I should try a particular venue? On ships with a traditional dress codes, we usually try not to miss the main dining hall on formal days, for example. Also, is it advisable that we make our alternative dining reservation on the day of boarding?

Or are we just over-analyzing our choices here? Maybe we should just do whatever we feel like?

As Le Marche and Candles are outdoor restaurants they are subject to weather conditions so may not operate every evening.Also,we found that some people made bookings then changed their minds as they thought it was too blowy on deck.I would think if they are still open when you sail you may well get in last minute without booking.

A couple of weeks back when we were on board we ate at Le Marche and there were one or two tables free.It was quite breezy.

Similarly,when eating in Degrees we noticed it was only about half full.Degrees has a 'tasting menu' which changes but there is little choice apart from the vegetarian options.If you like most food (as we do) then this is fine.The food was very good.

I wouldn't think there would be much change in the menus for Le Marche and Candles as they are seafood and grills respectively.

I am not aware of any "mad rush" to get reservations in the different venues.

You might also want to check your itinerary for port times. The ships sometimes don't sail until late in the evening, and then you will have the option of selecting an on-shore restaurant for dinner.

Hi. We are sailing on Wind Surf next month. This will be our first time with Windstar. We have been reading on how things are supposed to work in terms of dining arrangements on Wind Surf, and are very surprised that there are three? alternatives to the main dining room on a ship that only accomodates about 300 passengers. I read that in addition to the Restaurant, we can dine at Degrees, Le Marche, and Candles.

Is there a particular "strategy" to try all of the alternative dining venues? Do all restaurants change their menus daily? Or is there a particular night I should try a particular venue? On ships with a traditional dress codes, we usually try not to miss the main dining hall on formal days, for example. Also, is it advisable that we make our alternative dining reservation on the day of boarding?

Or are we just over-analyzing our choices here? Maybe we should just do whatever we feel like?

The menus at Marche and Candles do not change and you are limited to one advance booking at each (at least we were on our May Grand Prix cruise) If there are still openings the morning you want to go, then you can sign up then for another night, or just walk up and see if you can get in when you are hungry! (We did this once at Candles) Degrees does have multiple menus, but my recollection is that there were 4 menus in 7 nights so they do repeat. Again, we were limited to one advance booking. There were people lined up to book all 3 venues the day we boarded, but I never heard people complain that they couldn't get in where they wanted to (may not have been your first choice of night, though) . These 2 outdoor restaurant venues are new this year and they seemed quite popular. Previously, it was much harder to get into Degrees than it was on our last trip. We were blessed with beautiful weather and not much wind, so most people liked eating outside. Note: The outdoor restaurants are also the most casual. They let people wear jeans there and (I think) shorts, too.

The main diningroom has the biggest variety of food to choose from and the menu changes nightly. It is ALWAYS a great choice IMO.

Don't worry too much - they're ALL good! Hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise.

Archived