Canaries and North Africa

mrsbubs

We're cruising the above next month and I would be grateful if anyone had information regarding the ports of Casablanca and Agadir. We like to explore on our own and I can't find anything on the internet which tells me where the ship docks and if it is possible to do our own thing.

Many Thanks.

Casablanca and Agadir are NOT the Canaries, but these are cities in Maroc.

I havenot been there, but know that Agadir is a nice seasideresort.

Casablanca might be best to join a group or tour.

Casablanca and Agadir are NOT the Canaries, but these are cities in Maroc.

I havenot been there, but know that Agadir is a nice seasideresort.

Casablanca might be best to join a group or tour.

I would definetly suggest taking a tour for the Casbah / Casablanca. Even with the group felt very uncormfortable with all the beggars and "sales folks"

pawing at us everywhere we went.

It is a wonderful and interesting place but just feel that it would be better with a guide.

Have fun.

We'll be visiting Agadir and Casablanca on our May cruise. From what I can gather, the best suggestions seem to be getting out of the cities on an excursion...especially Agadir. While Agadir has some nice resort beaches, if you are not interested in beaching it for the day, then I'd recommend taking an excursion to Taroudannt, which evidently is like a small version of Marrakech. In fact, some sources say that the handicrafts in Taroudannt are of a higher quality than you'll find elsewhere in Morocco. We are planning on taking a ship's excursion there.

Here is a link to an interesting website that seems to pull no punches in its descriptions of the various locations in Morocco:

http://i-cias.com/morocco/index.htm

As for Casablanca, I'm still researching that port to decide where to go, but you will find much information on this link. Check out what excursions your cruise offers. One piece of advice I will give you is, all of my research indicates that these are two ports where you really will be best served by a ship's excursion, rather than trying to explore on your own or with a private guide. I tend to prefer to do things on my own, or use less-expensive private tours/guides, but I'm going to follow all the advice I've received and go with the ship tours in Morocco.

LeeAnne

Archived