Distilled water for CPAP machine??

Boozebabe

Anyone know if distilled water is available on ships for use in CPAP sleep machines?

We will be on the Destiny in january and we are taking carry-on only, We dread the thought of dragging around a gallon of water in addition to our luggage until our rooms are ready. What a relief it would be if distilled water was available.

The Special Needs Department will provide it if you request it. They told my TA that it would be $3.95 for the gallon. That's fine with us. There is no way I would carry one more thing.

OK $3.95 for a gallon, I knew it was something reasonable. I think I also read you purchase it at a bar.

DH's doc told him not to worry about distilled for the week - the filtering process on the ship removes the minerals that would cause problems, so just use ship tap water. We've done that every time, not a problem.

I second this one. There will be no problem whatever using the ship's tap water for a week. Believe me, I did NOT carry around a gallon of distilled water in Italy for nine days last year and the machine survived just fine.

Dan

On my last three cruises I was able to ask the room steward for a gallon of water for my c-Pap machine. The cost was less than $5.00 but I can not find the receipts for the exact amount. I did not have to call the Special Needs Department. According to a post from John Heald on his blog, all ships now have gallon bottles of distilled water available for purchase.

I also found that I do not use nearly as much water as I do at home. I think it is because of the moisture content of the air. I usually use 3/4 of a chamber of water at home, but on a cruise I use less than a 1/4 chamber.

I also bring along my own 6 foot extension cord and a surge protector power strip. The cords that Guest Services provide are 10+ feet long and are too cumbersome. The 6 foot cord is long enough to reach any side of the bed I decide to sleep on.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

My brother uses a machine and he said his doctor told him to not worry for a few days of tap water. BUT...... my friend who will be on the cruise with me seems to think she will ruin her machine using tap water for 4 nights. Shes driving me crazy about this. But its her machine so shes gonna do what she wants. I WILL NOT carry the jug of water for her. I have enough of my own stuff to worry about.

Too bad they dont sell one quart bottles of distilled water.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

My brother uses a machine and he said his doctor told him to not worry for a few days of tap water. BUT...... my friend who will be on the cruise with me seems to think she will ruin her machine using tap water for 4 nights. Shes driving me crazy about this. But its her machine so shes gonna do what she wants. I WILL NOT carry the jug of water for her. I have enough of my own stuff to worry about.

Too bad they dont sell one quart bottles of distilled water.

The machine will not be affected by the water. The reservoir my get pitted by the impurities in tap water and then it will have to be replaced. Not much of a problem as the reservoir should be replaced occasionally. One solution is to take an old reservoir. But a previous poster is correct in saying the ship makes it's own potable water that is virtually impurity free and shouldn't be a problem.

I had my TA request a gallon of distilled water be made available but if they don't provide it, I will just use the ships tap water.

Archived