Oceana - "FAMILY FRIENDLY"????????

davedex

Yes do write to HO and complain....

Don't forget though there will be 2000 passengers onboard and at most 200 or so kids, I don't think you can complain about deck quoits being arranged for the other 90% of passengers!

If my children were young and I could afford to cruise (i had to be content with a caravan or cottage in Exmouth or Cornwall when mine were small) I would choose Independence of the Seas for a family cruise - looked fab for kids.

The only problem with Independence is that RCI can't be asked to change the itenararies :mad: (sorry, mis-spelt i know!) Thats why we're on azura, because atleast that cruise is different to the 14 nights in the med we did 3 years ago!!!!!!!! RCI can't be asked to change the cruises, so we can't be asked to cruise with them, simple as!!!

The only problem with Independence is that RCI can't be asked to change the itenararies :mad: (sorry, mis-spelt i know!) Thats why we're on azura, because atleast that cruise is different to the 14 nights in the med we did 3 years ago!!!!!!!! RCI can't be asked to change the cruises, so we can't be asked to cruise with them, simple as!!!

Took me a couple of reads, but I get it now! asked means AR$ED :D lol

• 6 months later...

Are there not enough child free ships around?

Not wishing to stir things but - actually no - there aren't! Artemis is leaving the fleet and there are no berths left for her last few voyages which only leaves Arcadia ...or Saga of course!

Not wishing to stir things but - actually no - there aren't! Artemis is leaving the fleet and there are no berths left for her last few voayges which only leaves Arcadia ...or Saga of course!

There are more adult only ships (not necessarily in the P&O fleet) than aimed at the under 60's.!

I for one would like to see ONE ship, JUST ONE, for families only or for under 65's (normal happy pensioners with no axe to grind would still be welcome!) thereby giving me the opportunity to cruise without having to deal with cantankerous, grouchy, waspish, surly, irascible & petulant pensioners who should know better, whose only rasion d'etre on a cruise is to whinge about "how it used to be better in the olden days", who constantly complain about the food, the air con and the entertainment and where dinner doesn't consist of people who compare the lenth of their scars, how many tablets they take or who has the most ailments or had the most heart attacks :eek:

Not wishing to stir things up further or antagonise our new host (congrats by the way :)):rolleyes:

(Sharon, you chose my post for a reason didn't you!);)

There are more adult only ships (not necessarily in the P&O fleet) than aimed at the under 60's.!

Not wishing to stir things up further or antagonise our new host (congrats by the way :)):rolleyes:

(Sharon, you chose my post for a reason didn't you!);)

Thanks for the congrats - and no - I didn't choose your post for a reason, except to illustrate my point. Yes -I know there are more adult ships around but as this is a P&O forum, I stuck to that for now (aside from the Saga comment). Of course from May there will be Adonia and from November there will be Oriana so everyone should be well catered for. Perhaps the problem with Oceana is that she is the most affordable of the smaller ships so is attracting the oldies for that reason - not that I can comment as I am fast becoming one and some of the most fun and interesting people I have met on ships have been in their 80s!

I for one would like to see ONE ship, JUST ONE, for families only or for under 65's (normal happy pensioners with no axe to grind would still be welcome!) thereby giving me the opportunity to cruise without having to deal with cantankerous, grouchy, waspish, surly, irascible & petulant pensioners who should know better, whose only rasion d'etre on a cruise is to whinge about "how it used to be better in the olden days", who constantly complain about the food, the air con and the entertainment and where dinner doesn't consist of people who compare the lenth of their scars, how many tablets they take or who has the most ailments or had the most heart attacks :eek:

And I would like one ship where opinionated people who think that their view is the only right view, who compare how badly their children behave on flights, whatever age they are, could go and leave the rest of us to enjoy our cruises good or bad.

"Old Biddies" - I'll have a go at a definition!

The pax who push their way to the front of the queue at check in because they have reached an age when they shouldn't have to, or haven't the time to wait their turn

The Pax who doesn't think children of any age should be allowed in the lifts because they might press all the buttons at once.

The Pax who like to remind you of their age within 5 minutes of meeting you (I'm 85 you know!)

The Pax who can't remember your name from the previous evening on a table for 4

The Pax who thinks it's OK to be racist to the waiters

The Pax who remind you that they fought a war for you

The Pax who complain they can't understand the staff

The Pax who moan that it's too hot outside and too cold inside

The Pax who moan about the adults only pool being too cold and swim in the other pool and then complain that it's full of kids

The Pax who complain to reception that the ships full of kids in August

The Pax who walk with a stick, but they are like a bullet when the courtesy bus stops

The Pax who have no manners, spill their tea over you at the drinks station and look at you daft as if you are the one to blame.

The Pax who want something for breakfast that isn't on the full breakfast menu

The Pax who save 14 seats at the front of the theatre just incase their friends turn up

The Pax who ran to claim the quiz prize and played tennis earlier in the day who is unable to use the stairs to go up one floor

The Pax who queues for the tender to shore and then have either forgotten their boarding pass or can't find it in their handbag

The Pax who MUST use the lift for the muster drill and then run up 6 flights of stairs to get to the sailaway party so they can get a seat

The Pax who don't like to hear children singing while on the ship

The Pax who don't like the noise of the kids club but must sit directly outside on the deck above or below

The Pax who cannot understand why a baby cries and then complains about it for a fortnight

The Pax who gets up at 5am bangs about and wakes you up and then complains that you woke then up at 4pm in the afternoon while they are trying to sleep

The Pax who has vera lynn on the radio till 3am and then complains about a baby crying next door (because it was woen up by the music)

Shall I continue?

Although the above post is probably meant tongue in cheek (I hope) I really don't see that, other than the couple of phrases I've underlined, this could refer to any unpleasant character of ANY age. I hope you don't judge everyone you meet as harshly. I'm not in the first flush of youth, but I think you need to need to get to know people before judging them. We travel without children and I'm the wrong side of 50 but I can assure you I'm neither rude nor offensive nor an idiot nor a racist nor do I stereo-type people... unlike other contributors.

Also my DH and I have to take our holidays during the school holidays and I can't see why we should go on an adults only ship [of which there are very few from Southampton] so the other ships can be left to families. I think if everyone, whether they're 8, 38 or 68, shows a bit of respect to their fellow passengers, we can all have a great time. Oh yes, and we're on Oceana over Easter so see you all there!!!

Some interesting replies to the OP, I remember my children marching around hotels with the Thomson childrens rep singing their song, and would never complain about children on a ship doing the same it is lovely to see them all enjoying themselves.

We started cruising when our son was 15 and found loads to do together, playing football, basketball, table tennis, shuffleboard, etc just got the equipment and off we went.

I am confused however, as our half gterm is n ot until next week and only lasts a week and puts a cruise of 13 days out of the question, could it be the OP may have taken a cruise that is not in the recognised half term and therefore not that many children in the kids clubs and this impacts on the activities available.

Ah well, if that's how you get your amusement. :confused:

We've nothing better to do in Yorkshire, apart from race our whippets and listen to Heaven 17, it's grim up north :eek: but then again most of the people around me arn't tax exiles and don't speak french, which is a bonus :D

Stereotypical enough?

We've nothing better to do in Yorkshire, apart from race our whippets and listen to Heaven 17, it's grim up north :eek: but then again most of the people around me arn't tax exiles and don't speak french, which is a bonus :D

Stereotypical enough?

He's a Jerseyman. Us Guernseymen know quite how awful that is........

WD

Consider also the point of view of adults. Very few ships cater for adults only so inevitably a lot of adults end up on other ships. It isn't only the 60+ brigade who may want adult only activities without kids being involved.

Personally I don't mind well behaved older kids taking part in activities but if you advertise things as family oriented then you may have younger kids running riot or even doting parents who think they can involve their 1 year old toddler and hold up the process (I've seen this many times!).

I know I sound a misery but I don't have kids through choice and the presence of rowdy kids detracts from my enjoyment of a holiday. I avoid travel during school holidays and rarely sit on the sun deck so children on board generally don't bother me. However others may wish to enjoy the deck facilities and on-board activities knowing they will be child free.

I would appeal for some activities on all ships to remain adult only so that like-minded folk can get some respite.

As somebody who doesn't particularly want 300 kids on board a ship when I am having a holiday, I first of all don't book in kids holiday time, and mostly I try to go on Adult Only ships. Having said that, we cruised on Azura last September, there were about 40-50 kids on board, mostly under 8. Never heard them, except once when they came down to the terrace pool. They seemed very well catered for, having a great time and not annoying anyone. I've no idea what games they had, I didn't notice, but the fact that they were hardly seen would seem to tell me that they were having a great time somewhere!

Archived