Almost done packing! Bag fees...

kathyemma

We fly away tomorrow and sail on Liberty Saturday!!!!!!!

Normally we take 2 large suitcases, some smaller bags and check everything. But this year with the crazy bag fees we got everything into carry on bags. We will check one bag that contains all of our liquids and a few items of clothes. The bag fee is less than buying all new sunblock and lotion when we land.

Makes me wonder if others are doing the same? Wonder how crowded the overhead bins will be and how empty the bagage hold will be. I hope they don't start charging for carry ons.

Kathy

Normally we take 2 large suitcases, some smaller bags and check everything. But this year with the crazy bag fees we got everything into carry on bags. We will check one bag that contains all of our liquids and a few items of clothes. The bag fee is less than buying all new sunblock and lotion when we land.

Makes me wonder if others are doing the same? Wonder how crowded the overhead bins will be and how empty the bagage hold will be. I hope they don't start charging for carry ons.

Kathy

Nope learned after our 1st cruise bringing 2 checked bags each plus a carry on each.. that THAT WAS WAY TOO MUCH...:eek: We are both down to one bag.. under 50lbs.. no carry on for me and the SO brings a carry on back pack .. for his laptop;)

Nope learned after our 1st cruise bringing 2 checked bags each plus a carry on each.. that THAT WAS WAY TOO MUCH...:eek: We are both down to one bag.. under 50lbs.. no carry on for me and the SO brings a carry on back pack .. for his laptop;)

i always have to have a carry on with my pills, bathing suit and a change of cothes. That way if they lose my bag I can survive. This year - all my clothes are in the carry on! My dh and dd put out all their clothes yesterday and i made them put 1/2 back. NEVER have they worn them all. They were not happy with me. Oh well.

K

Kathy

The overhead bins will be FILLED by the first several boarding zones. Crew will then check all the remaining carry-on (no fee) into the hold. ken

The overhead bins will be FILLED by the first several boarding zones. Crew will then check all the remaining carry-on (no fee) into the hold. ken

Hopefully they will get sick of doing this and let us check at least one bag for free. It wouldn't be that big of a deal - but since we can't carry on liquids - makes it very hard to pack!!

Kathy

We each had one medium sized suitcase that we checked, then had a backpack to carry on. On the way back, we each had 2 carry-ons :eek: and still checked our medium sized suitcases.

I packed too much. I don't know why my DH had so much stuff, but he wore all the clothes he packed. I could eliminate probably 3 prs shorts and 3 shirts. Maybe next time we won't bring our snorkel equipment either....not sure.

We will cruise with our kids in August and will spend a few days in Florida. I have to keep them at 2 carry ons each and we will stick with our medium bags (checked) and a carry on each so we can save on checked bag fees.

I would love to just carry on but it is too difficult for me with all the liquids I need...I might be able to do if I use DH's quart sized bag, but it would be tough. Then again the kids have quart sized bags too......

to answer your original question, in my experience most people are doing the same and the overheads are completely packed. You are allowed to store 1 item under the seat in front of you though, so that helps! They will store the remaining bags as "checked" bags without charging you if it does get too overloaded, so if you have things you need for the flight (I'm thinking of your DD here), you are better off putting them all in one bag so if it comes to it, you will at least have the small bag of stuff you need.

We are heading to cancun to an AI resort, so the 8 of us are all taking just carry ons. It was tough with the suntan lotion, we each have several small size bottles. I was so hoping I could do just carry on for our January cruise, but I'm just not sure I can do it. BUT I sure will try!!!:cool:

Well DW and I are overpackers! ;) But instead of 2 large checked bags each, one carry-on each and one personal item each, we are going down to only one large checked bag each, one carry-on and I'm not sure yet if I'll have a personal item.

Once we are Platinum them maybe we can go down even more with the free laundry. As it is we are planning on a couple loads of laundry. At $6 per load for wash/dry any more than that and we might as well pay the fee for an extra bag and just bring more clothes!

It is so much easier flying, cruising and traveling in general with only one carry-on size bag. No worries about anything getting lost or stolen.

Agree!!!

A well-planned and well-packed 22" carryon should do it for anyone. It's has always worked for me.....and it weighs under 40 pounds.

Freedom is less luggage......:D

I also fly Southwest whenever possible to wherever I'm going. No ridiculous fees at all.

I don't overpack, nor pack light, I manage to bring just enough to get me through the week. Alas, I just can't get it all to fit in one suitcase, so I usually bring two big suitcases.

My next cruise I am flying on United and there is a fee for bags, so I will pack a little lighter and stuff it all in the large suitcse and the rolling carryon. I will have have to make all of what I buy fit in the rolling carryon. That will be a challenge, but I have been to these ports before, and I thik I can do it.....I won't be shopping much, so I will likely be able to squeeze it all in my rolling carry on...

Eventually they will have to relax the fee for baggage rule and allow ONE free bag. I like Air Canada and West Jet, both don't charge for baggage.

Kathy

I was very proud of myself for our cruise a few weeks ago...3 of us - each one had a carry on and a personal item and we were done! :D

When we flew home from Ft. Lauderdale, Air Tran announced that our flight was FULL and the bins would be overloaded, so any bag that could be checked would at no charge. I had all my breakables in one so we did some swapping and got down to one carry on. I always get stuck because I come hom with more than I took. Love my souveniers!!

Last trip we did two carry-on rolling suitcases and one personal (laptop) but the trip was only 5 days.

This trip we are going to *try* 1 checked (with snorkeling gear and fins)+2 rolling carry-ons + 1 backpack (which is needed for day trips). Hopefully we will have enough!

It is a more enjoyable trip if I like what I am wearing. I know that is not important to everyone! I like to be comfortable and I won't be if I have to wear the same clothes everyday. Maybe one day I can get over that but LOL I don't think so!

I once met a family that lost all execpt 1 bag (family of 5) and they said it was stressfull (the lost baggage and all that) BUT it was also freeing in the sense that they realized that they did not need anywhere near the amount they had packed originally.

I figure I have 2 choices: check one large suitcase and most likely pay an overweight fee or check 2 suitcases and pay for the second suitcase. It is a wash either way so I find it easier to check 2 suitcases that are not over packed. I don't want to have to mess with doing laundry and I have cut back on the clothing as it is. With rolling suitcases it is no big deal and I plan on taking advantage of the luggage express at the end of the cruise.

The backpack carry on is for my electronic toys (small gateway computer, kindle and Ipod). :p:D

I figure I have 2 choices: check one large suitcase and most likely pay an overweight fee or check 2 suitcases and pay for the second suitcase. It is a wash either way so I find it easier to check 2 suitcases that are not over packed. I don't want to have to mess with doing laundry and I have cut back on the clothing as it is. With rolling suitcases it is no big deal and I plan on taking advantage of the luggage express at the end of the cruise.

The backpack carry on is for my electronic toys (small gateway computer, kindle and Ipod). :p:D

It just killed me thinking about paying for checking bags...It doesn't sound so bad when you say $15...but we would usually check 2 bags...$30...$60 round trip!!! We opt to do the laundry special during the week...My husband managed to fit way more than 10 tshirts (I want to say 18, but I could be wrong - it was in the 'teens') and 8 pairs of shorts in the one little bag they give you...$15 instead of $60! :eek: Sounded better to me. Not for everyone tho I suppose...

The extra bag we normally check ($40 r/t) and sometimes we check the garment bag (total $80 r/t) is a lot of beers by the pool. If I didn't have to take my kid or my husband i could do it with a carry on. But I don't think they will let that happen.

Kathy

We are a family of five travelling on the Destiny tomorrow. We each have a carry-on & personal bag, and a grand total of ONE checked suitcase that holds all of our "liquids" (notably suntan/sunblock/aloe stuff...lol).

Frankly, we're probably taking too much.

I was a chronic overpacker...I am reformed. I had to pay an overweight bag fee on the last cruise we took and I vowed NEVER AGAIN, especially since I only wore 1/2 of what I packed. My husband, too.

SO, for our Hawaii vacation, I have cross-packed 2 carry-ons, one for me and one for my husband. I will be taking my tote and maybe another personal item (purse).

I have one daytime outfit for each day and 3 nice items for evenings. Each hotel has laundry if I need it, but most items I packed can be washed in the sink and hung to dry.

I think that if I continue to buy items that aren't dry-clean only and that I can wash in the sink, my whole travel experience will be even more simplified. I don't want to hassel with luggage..I want to enjoy my vacation.

BTW, everything is rolled-up, and then placed in one of those vacuum bag things that are made for travel. Everything compressed nicely and ALL of our things fit in one bag, but I am taking 2 just so we can get souveniers and other fun stuff. Plus, I figure we can buy what we need, like sunscreen, when we get there to get around the liquid restrictions.

I know everyone cannot do this, no judgements here. I'm just letting you overpackers know how liberating it is to pack/haul less stuff.

Other than taking dive gear, I could maybe see getting down to a carry on only for an AI vacation, since you spend most days in just a bathing suit and cover up, and go from that to a shower to a sundress for dinner (shorts and nice shirt for my DH). However for a cruise there's all those shorts and tops for 6 port days, as well as bathing suits/cover ups, and dressy stuff for the evening, especially for those formal/elegant nights. In order to pack light I guess I will be doing laundry for sure. (well I will anyway, since we have another week, so might as well take less and suck it up that I'll be doing laundry at night. yuk). I am really spoiled by Canadian carriers who allow more than enough luggage for free, and/or a free sports bag (like dive gear). I think the best we can do is condense to 1 dive gear bag and 1 bag each... or maybe 1 bag between us... maybe.

I don't get it. On the one hand people are on threads griping about those who don't get all dolled up with their cocktail dresses (which means accessories like heels etc), and suits and ties for the men, yet on the flip side there are these threads where all these people claim they take so little luggage?? :confused: There's no way to get a suit and shorts and shirts and shoes all in a carry on. So is this the distinction between those who go overboard with dressing up all the time (no pun intended) and those who go more casual?

I don't get it. On the one hand people are on threads griping about those who don't get all dolled up with their cocktail dresses (which means accessories like heels etc), and suits and ties for the men, yet on the flip side there are these threads where all these people claim they take so little luggage?? :confused: There's no way to get a suit and shorts and shirts and shoes all in a carry on. So is this the distinction between those who go overboard with dressing up all the time (no pun intended) and those who go more casual?

DH and I did a 2 week TransAtlantic cruise and a week land trip once we got to Europe. Since we didn't want to have to drag luggage all around Europe, we each packed a carryon. There were 3 Formal nights (this was before the switch to Elegant night). I had a long black formal skirt and 3 silk blouses, so it was very fancy. I also took some less fancy blouses for non formal nights. We did rent a tux for hubby this time, just so we didn't have to drag the tux around Europe, but his would have fitted in the bags. A well packed carryon actually fits quite a lot of clothing. (and believe me, I am not a size 2 by any means!) We bought our sunblock in Miami before the boarding the ship, and managed with the other carryon liquids. I did do a couple of loads of laundry while on the ship.

To answer some of the OP's question, I feel since they started charging for bags people drag quite a lot onto the plane. I think the amounts are over the limits the airlines set for carryons, but no one is watching. As others have stated, the bins fill up fast, and you may have to gate check your bags. I've seen it get quite contentious on the planes, fighting for bin space!

Hopefully they will get sick of doing this and let us check at least one bag for free. It wouldn't be that big of a deal - but since we can't carry on liquids - makes it very hard to pack!!

Kathy

I wouldn't count on that! Most of the carriers have raised their fees lately.

Archived