Connecting Doors??

ladysail2

Can someone who has been in a cabin with 'connecting doors' please tell me where the doors are located.

Are they located inside the cabin, or is it a case of the balcony panels siding to allow access to both cabins.

Thank you anyone for any help in this.

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

The connecting doors are actually inside the cabin. I have heard people say that noise is an issue as the doors are not as soundproofed as the regular walls. Of course that may not be a problem if the people in the connecting cabin are part of your family/group!

Lisa

We were in a cabin with a connectiong door on the Galaxy. we had a very similar cabin on the Galaxy two years prior without the connecting door. it did not in anyway effect the lay out of the cabin and truthfully I never knew if anyone was in the connecting cabin or not. We never heard a sound.

Thank You, Lisa and Cruiseguy. I would understand about the noise factor, although I've heard through walls without a connecting door if the folks are loud enough!

I just can't figure out for the life of me WHERE they'd put a door. The cabins are so space efficient that I wonder what is omitted in order for a door to be installed.

Oh well, maybe I should try one, and then I'd find out. Another cruising quest!

Thanks again.

We posted at the same time mmp13. Thank you for your information. That is what I wanted to hear...that it didn't affect the lay-out of the cabin. I'd hate to think that a storage area was removed to put in a door.

Your information makes my decision easier. Thanks again.

Joyce :D

Sound in (from) a cabin with a connecting door isn't usually a problem for me because I am profoundly hard of hearing (not quite deaf) and have worn hearing aids for the last 41 years. Sound from a 'connected' cabin IS a problem if I can hear it though, it's an even bigger problem if I can hear it when I'm not wearing my hearing aid. :eek: Only happened once but was resolved by crew VERY quickly.

What I found to be more of a problem with the connecting door cabins is the transfer of scent, perfume, cigarette smoke, cigar smoke, pipe smoke and the odor of expelled bodily gasses, between two connecting cabins. The doors are not airtight.

We ended up with a connecting door on the Summit in October, entirely being my mistake in selecting the cabin. The door is located just past the mini-bar area, and is accomplished by eliminating a mirror usually in that spot. It was terrible, particularly because the TV is located near the door and we could hear every word said on the neighbor's TV. Particularly annoying when they would return to their cabin after we had gone to bed.

Thank you everyone for your experiences with connecting doors. Now I really have to think about booking one.

Offtune Angel, I've been out your way. I'm from Ottawa. But, more to the point...you know what they say...when one sense fails the others become more acute! I can say that I've smelled smoke through walls, but for perfume and 'the other' I can't say that it has permeated my cabin. Maybe they would put a fan in your cabin and that would help dissapate unwelcome odours of all kinds.

Thanks for your input.

We've been in connecting rooms twice on the Summit - once with family next door, once not (last minute room change). I would never do a connecting room without having my own family in the other room (unless there was no other cabin available...We could hear everything from next door, tv, talking, coughing, etc. Luckily our neighbors were not in much, but could be an issue so we will avoid in the future.

Also, cruiseguy, I notice that alot of the Concierge Class cabins are connecting. The noise and perhaps, smell, problems might make a few people a bit irritated. Paying more for cc, but having that noise would make me think twice about paying for cc in the future if the cabin had a connecting door.

42trvl - putting the TV and the door next to each other is perhaps not a good idea either. At least if family is occupying the adjoining cabin, one can reach in and turn it down, LOL!!

Archived