I returned Suede Jeans Today! It Broke My Heart!

TerriSea

Today I went to a boutique that was having a "Samples and Seconds" sale and fell head over heels with a pair of turquoise suede jeans. This jeans were so far out of my comfort zone that they were orbiting someone else's comfort zone. :D But, the color was spectacular for a Spring (Warm, Clear, Bright) palette.

I touched them. Soft, buttery suede. I wrote my name in the nap with my fingers. :p I recognized the designer label. I tried them on and they fit, but just barely, without room for another ounce. If I had a thin mint these would be too tight. The other women in the dressing room complemented me profusely.

The label was marked down to $65 from $250. Then I noticed the hems were stained a little. I asked for a discount to help defray the cost of dry cleaning and was offered another $5 off. I took the deal even though there were large ALL SALES FINAL signs posted.

I drove directly to the best upscale dry cleaner and showed them the jeans. The woman said it would be $38.50 and not only would they not guarantee the result, she would basically bet money that I would not be happy with the result. In fact, she did not want to take them at all. :confused: What gives?

She explained: They are a specialty color, so any dry cleaning solvent may make them fade unevenly. The discoloration on the hems would not come out without removing the beautiful turquoise dye. She also pointed out the glue used on the seams was also starting to bleed through along the legs and this was starting to become noticeable.

I drove them back to the boutique, explained the issue and they kindly refunded my money. This made me happy, except I was so disappointed.:(

I have never wanted turquoise suede jeans so badly before in my life.:D I even bought a beaded necklace at the boutique to wear with the jeans.

Has anyone ever gone through a suede cleaning nightmare or had suede jeans? Would anyone have done anything differently? I am mourning those jeans.

The label was marked down to $65 from $250. Then I noticed the hems were stained a little. I asked for a discount to help defray the cost of dry cleaning and was offered another $5 off. I took the deal even though there were large ALL SALES FINAL signs posted.

My kind of sale.

I drove directly to the best upscale dry cleaner and showed them the jeans. The woman said it would be $38.50 and not only would they not guarantee the result, she would basically bet money that I would not be happy with the result. In fact, she did not want to take them at all. What gives?

In the event that they would not clean nicely, I'm sure they wanted to avoid any possible complaints later. Even when a dry cleaner tells someone of a potential problem and the customer seems to accept it, many times they will still come back and complain. It's just easier for them to not deal with it in the first place. I had to SIGN a waive on a beaded dress once.

She explained: They are a specialty color, so any dry cleaning solvent may make them fade unevenly. The discoloration on the hems would not come out without removing the beautiful turquoise dye. She also pointed out the glue used on the seams was also starting to bleed through along the legs and this was starting to become noticeable.

That was very nicew of her to explain what might happen so you can understand her not wanting to take them....no?

I drove them back to the boutique, explained the issue and they kindly refunded my money. This made me happy, except I was so disappointed.:(

All things considered, I think it was even a luckier day for you than finding them. They certainly could have refused, although I have found that a store that does something really nice for me is a "slam dunk" that I will buy from they again.:)

I have never wanted turquoise suede jeans so badly before in my life.:D I even bought a beaded necklace at the boutique to wear with the jeans.

.........Would anyone have done anything differently? I am mourning those jeans.

I would not have done anything differently and................

R-I-P-gravestone.jpgoh beautiful TURQUOISE JEANS.:(;)

It was very, very nice of the store to give you a refund.

I'm so sorry that the jeans were dirty. An item like turqoise jeans, you just have to assume you're probably not going to be able to dry clean....or if you do, they may be ruined. $39. is a very reasonable price to clean them.

If the jeans were clean, I'd say, buy them, wear til they're dirty, clean them but expect they may not clean well, and then just throw them out if they don't. At $65. + $39.. to clean, they're a bargain down from $250.

You just have to appreciate that some things have a short "shelf life" and know you won't have them for long, but when you do wear them, you'll feel and look amazing! They're a "Wow" item, not an investment piece. With your coloring and your figure, they were worth every cent of Wow. What a shame they were dirty.

What brand were they btw? Vakko?

I bought a teal/turquoise (actually between the 2 colors, but it had more blue than green, but a meduim shade) suede skirt in a size 10 four years ago, three years ago it still fit,it was actually a little loose on me, but I did not mind, as it was a skirt. Then, 2 and a half years ago my meds were switched, and by the time cool weather came again the skirt no longer fit. I could not fully snap the skirt (it had snaps instead of a zipper), I finally donated it this fall. I figured even if I lost the weight again, it would be too far out of style. It broke my heart. The problem too, even if I replace it with another, I just pain, am not going to looking very nice in something like that. I hate this extra weight. I wish "old lady clothes" were not so frumpy.

The jeans were Lilly Pulitzer. Preppy rokker??:p

It sounds like they **maybe** would have worked out. On the other hand, I would have felt terrible if I bought them wore them twice then paid good money to get back a mess from the dry cleaner.

One thing the dry cleaner lady said was people often have black or brown suede cleaned then occasionally redyed to keep it looking new. Of course, the specialty colors are impossible to successfully redye.

The jeans were Lilly Pulitzer. Preppy rokker??:p

It sounds like they **maybe** would have worked out. On the other hand, I would have felt terrible if I bought them wore them twice then paid good money to get back a mess from the dry cleaner.

One thing the dry cleaner lady said was people often have black or brown suede cleaned then occasionally redyed to keep it looking new. Of course, the specialty colors are impossible to successfully redye.

I have had colored suede successfully cleaned but the dry cleaners have tested an inside spot before cleaning--all have been successfully cleaned--tan, light green, brown and black. I've also "spot" cleaned them with a suede cleaning kit.

I feel your pain. Sometimes I see something that just speaks to me, but for one reason or another I can not get it. Size, price, or just not one darn place to wear it. But I want it! It's sooooo hard to do the right thing and just walk away!

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies,

Thank you all for your insight and comments about these jeans. I read your posts and was quite glad to hear that many of you have enjoyed suede items over the years.

I BOUGHT THE JEANS!!;) :D :o

I went back to the boutique a couple of days ago, and there they were, untouched since I was there a few weeks ago......:-(..... lonely..... forgotten......left out....

Did they still fit me? Since the last time I tried them on, I have literally eaten enough to fill up my car's trunk. Pumpkin pie, sugar cookies, office party nibbles, you know the story!! :D

Thank goodness for SPANX! I tried the jeans on, and behold, they are like leg gloves! LOL But, do I dare buy them again? I thought of "wheretonext's" comment: and she is a reputable lady, no?? :-) Same with momofmeg, Jane110 and cb at sea. They would not steer me wrong!!

The turquoise suede jeans are now in my closet, awaiting a proper top.

I invite comments for a coordinating top!! I would like to wear these jeans on Christmas Day for the gathering at the home of my husband's brother and wife. The atmosphere will be a bit more elegant and formal than my own family's Christmas Eve gathering that I host. Whereas I host a casual potluck dinner with hearty laughter, kids and dogs everywhere, bordering on complete but wonderful chaos; his family's gathering will be catered and gorgeously decorated but not exactly formal. I want to look chic but not like I am trying too hard!!

I am considering a simple black wrap blouse that I have that fits me to a T. Or perhaps a sleeveless black turtleneck top. I am thinking something simple might be the way to go. I have great black short boots: either the wedge heel or the standby high heel.

Any suggestions for this over-40 petite lady?

Ladies,

Thank you all for your insight and comments about these jeans. I read your posts and was quite glad to hear that many of you have enjoyed suede items over the years.

I BOUGHT THE JEANS!!;) :D :o

I went back to the boutique a couple of days ago, and there they were, untouched since I was there a few weeks ago......:-(..... lonely..... forgotten......left out....

Did they still fit me? Since the last time I tried them on, I have literally eaten enough to fill up my car's trunk. Pumpkin pie, sugar cookies, office party nibbles, you know the story!! :D

Thank goodness for SPANX! I tried the jeans on, and behold, they are like leg gloves! LOL But, do I dare buy them again? I thought of "wheretonext's" comment: and she is a reputable lady, no?? :-) Same with momofmeg, Jane110 and cb at sea. They would not steer me wrong!!

The turquoise suede jeans are now in my closet, awaiting a proper top.

I invite comments for a coordinating top!! I would like to wear these jeans on Christmas Day for the gathering at the home of my husband's brother and wife. The atmosphere will be a bit more elegant and formal than my own family's Christmas Eve gathering that I host. Whereas I host a casual potluck dinner with hearty laughter, kids and dogs everywhere, bordering on complete but wonderful chaos; his family's gathering will be catered and gorgeously decorated but not exactly formal. I want to look chic but not like I am trying too hard!!

I am considering a simple black wrap blouse that I have that fits me to a T. Or perhaps a sleeveless black turtleneck top. I am thinking something simple might be the way to go. I have great black short boots: either the wedge heel or the standby high heel.

Any suggestions for this over-40 petite lady?

White cashmere turtleneck from TSE.

FRIENDS -

WHAT WAS I THINKING??:o

I tried on these jeans yesterday with a variety of tops and I immediately realized:

THEY JUST DON'T FIT RIGHT.

I look like I am trying to squeeze into them. I WAS trying to squeeeeze into them. Snug denim jeans can be ok, but this suede is much softer than denim and so shows all bulges - even ones I did not know I had!!!

Ugh. I look like I am trying too hard - desperately trying to hang onto youth....I was hoping for young and hip, this is the opposite..so unflattering!!!..big fashion mistake.

A friend of mine that has bought a few pairs of leather and suede pants told me that she always buys them tight as they stretch a bit over time. Since you can't return them, perhaps wear them around the house for a few hours at a time to see if they give a bit?

And if all else fails, there's always ebay.

Good luck!

Thanks Ottawa!

Maybe all is not lost! I will wear them around the house, hopefully they will "mold" to my figure better. ;)

My hair stylist heard me tell the tale yesterday and she had a good point: Wear a long tunic sweater to cover any unflattering bulges, and tuck the pants into black boots! Great idea. She said this way the color will pop without being too much!

This whole thing has been a ping-pong match between my personality sides, so I apologize for ranting!! :o

Archived