Liberty of the Seas (Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel) 11/1-8/2009 Review with Photos

Cruisinini

Yay I'm glad you finally posted your review. You did so many different things than we did, that I now feel like I've experienced everything between the two of us!

A couple of observations...

I looked all over each of your pictures but I didn't see me in any of them. lol! I definitely would've been in your belly flop picture because I was right at the edge of the pool on the "stage" thing leaning on the rail, but people blocked me in your picture. How dare they?

What was your dinner table number? As you saw in my review, our table was literally at the kitchen door the first table you see if you're a waiter exiting the kitchen. (I HATED IT) It was 290. Was that yours? Nice that your Head Waiter came to your table. Ours didn't even come over on the last night. Ugh. You also had much better/nicer/funnier waiters. So actually my guess is you WEREN'T at 290, but probably right next to it in another waiter's section.

During trivia one of the cruise staff told us that it WAS the Freedom that passed us. They had to go a bit faster because they had to go to Pt. Canaveral. I didn't see her though. That must've been a great sight.

We did luggage valet so we met in the MDR at 7:15 and were walked off at about 8:00 and zipped through customs. Sounds like the backup started right after us. I also wonder if you had the same customs agent we had. He was GREAT. My friend had a birth certificate so it took him QUITE awhile to pass her through and kept commenting that he was seeing all of MY background info on his computer while scanning HER certificate. Then he said, "Your friend has a passport...watch what happens when you have a passport." He swiped mine and handed it right back and said, "Welcome home, Amy."

I was also in D25 at the muster drill and could've been sitting at your table during muster. I had a drink with me, which I was told I couldn't bring in, until a second crew member said, "Just go...we're looking the other way and don't see anything in your hand." :)

Actually I wasn't at your muster table because I was with about four pretty unfriendly people who didnt say a word. I also don't think they spoke English and was surprised when you said the captain said 2/3 were American. Did NOT seem that way.

Thanks again for the review and letting me relive our cruise through different eyes! :)

Fantastic review! i am sailing this exact route and ship on Nov 29th ( 8 days! :) )

I had some questions... In Belize I'm doing the "Beach break"

but for Costa Maya and Cozumel I was just planning on shopping in the city and sightseeing. From what you seen of those ports is that something that is easily done where the ships dock, or is this something we'll need to take a taxi for?

Thanks. :)

Hi there. I'm on your cruise a week from Sunday. Since I've been to both ports I can answer your question. Both Costa Maya and Cozumel have shops right where the ships are docked. However, keep in mind that since they have a captive audience and also because the rents are probably much higher, this will not be the best shopping. But you can walk around and if you find what you want there and feel the prices are okay then you're good to go. Otherwise, you will need to take a taxi to the main shopping areas. Fortunately you probably won't find cheaper taxi rates than these 2 ports of call. In Costa Maya that would be Mahahual which is $3.00 per person going into town (unless you want to save a dollar and use the taxis outside the gates). In Cozumel that would be in San Miguel which is like a $6.00 taxi ride (up to 4 people- not per person) each way. San Miguel is much more developed than Mahajual and that's where you'll also find the infamous Carlos & Charlies and lots of nice restaurants. There really isn't any sightseeing in these 2 towns. Mahahual has the beach, restaurants, bars and shops. San Miguel has restaurants, bars and shops (no beach there - the beaches are south of the port - San Miguel is north). The major sightseeing destination for both places are the Mayan ruins which are about an hour (or more depending on which site you select) from Costa Maya and even further away from Cozumel in Tulum (you need to ride the ferry to the mainland to get to it - the Mayan ruins on Cozumel aren't anywhere near as impressive).

@amybeth: thanks!

- I have a ton more photos that you could potentially be in since we took over 1200 photos. Yikes!!

- We were at table 335, maybe we were at the same table but on the opposite sides of the staircase where the waiters zip in and out because your table sounds exactly like where ours was at.

- haha that's so cool we were in the same muster section! small world, big ship. nobody sat at our table with us but if you did we would've been friendly!

- I'll dig up my Freedom photo and post it just for you! It passed really close by and was definitely moving faster than us. Thanks for confirming which ship it was.

15957_645087407629_12805109_36876265_1614050_n.jpg

@kathy: thanks! i really think i may have seen you! looking at your avatar photo now, i remember seeing someone on the tour bus heading back from the ruins that looked like someone from the meet & mingle so maybe I DID see you!?! next time i'll try to be more brave and say hi to people.

@cruise pup: thanks for jumping in and giving a better answer than i could muster up!

...to everyone else who has replied: thanks for commenting and glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for the great review and photos!

What did you use to post the photos?? I can never seem to get it right and yours were just the right size!;)

We will be on this same itinerary on Jan. 10 and still have to book our excursions. The dive sounds different from the one dh did in Coz a few years ago, so maybe I will book that one for him.

We were thinking of doing the Native Choice tour that you did also.

Our big decision now is which dinner to choose- Portofino, Chops or both!!

Archived