Man overboard!!

duct tape

Most everyone agrees, trouble comes in 3s. Well, we have been waiting and yesterday closed the events. We left Nassau and in about 1 1/2 hrs. the Captain had to turn the ship around and go back to port to evacuate a woman who was ill! It has been exciting: the Doc with the bends, the man overboard and a medical emergency! Everyone is ready to relax...I sure wish the Captain (SanGiacamo) and crew could, they are pretty tired! Again, kudos to all.

We were also on the Shadow the night the gentleman went overboard. The ship's horn woke us shortly after 3AM (we were on deck 9), and when I reached our balcony railing minutes later, the crew had already launched two lighted life rings to indicate his approximate location. It was around there they began a grid search. It was inky black that night, with no moonlight to speak of - and the chances of locating him in the dark and in the water had to be slim. I believe the crew did an admirable job, and truly should be commended, as well as the efforts of the Coast Guard. There were some mishaps with the tenders....but overall, as others have mentioned, it was a miracle he was found alive.

Most everyone agrees, trouble comes in 3s. Well, we have been waiting and yesterday closed the events. We left Nassau and in about 1 1/2 hrs. the Captain had to turn the ship around and go back to port to evacuate a woman who was ill! It has been exciting: the Doc with the bends, the man overboard and a medical emergency! Everyone is ready to relax...I sure wish the Captain (SanGiacamo) and crew could, they are pretty tired! Again, kudos to all.

We were also on the Shadow the night the gentleman went overboard. The ship's horn woke us shortly after 3AM (we were on deck 9), and when I reached our balcony railing minutes later, the crew had already launched two lighted life rings to indicate his approximate location. It was around there they began a grid search. It was inky black that night, with no moonlight to speak of - and the chances of locating him in the dark and in the water had to be slim. I believe the crew did an admirable job, and truly should be commended, as well as the efforts of the Coast Guard. There were some mishaps with the tenders....but overall, as others have mentioned, it was a miracle he was found alive.

tell us about the doc wiyh the bends! Ithink i am glad I cancelled this trip !

This is sounding much more like a "MADE FOR TV MOVIE". Lots of plot twists and turns!!! Did they buy everyone free drinks? What happened to good old days of "Love Boat"?

THANKS for the interesting updates and details! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

ScubaLady should really answer that question - I believe she is the expert! My understanding is they were diving in relatively shallow water, and he was fine when he initially surfaced - simply complained of a little dizziness. He had been doing a lot of dives, however, and perhaps that was an issue?? Someone with more expertise would know! Long story short, they airlifted him out and found a substitute doc to cover (who then apparently got to deal with the passenger overboard). I admit to being amazed, however, with how quickly and efficiently Silversea dealt with each issue. The delay time was really minimal in both instances given the possible severity of the individual situations.

Keep in mind these folks are true professionals. Often they are being trained for these types of situations or other types of situations that hopefully will never have to be carried out but just like this situation the training can be the difference between life and death.

Keith

That sort of thing (medical evacuation) happens frequently. On our last year TA a guy was taken off Oceania "Regatta" as we approached the West African coast. A Spanish helicopter and patrol planes from Western Sahara airlifted him to shore and then transfered him to the Azores or Canaries for emergency surgery!

Hi everyone, and to those still on the Shadow, lucky you!

I was diving with the doctor in Tortola, as a matter of fact, I was his dive buddy. We dove exactly the same profile. He was fine when he came up, fine on the boat, and it was only when we reached shore that he began complaining that he was dizzy. I emailed the dive shop yesterday and they said the doctor had been diving several days in a row, which increases your chances of a "hit" (i.e., decompression sickness). To be safe rather than sorry, they sent him to St. Thomas, which has a decompression chamber. They reported he was in the hospital less than 24 hours. As far as I understand, he recovered completely.

A blessed Thanksgiving to all.

Jane

aka ScubaLady

To my dear friends from Shadow Nov 13-22:

I have not been able to locate some email addresses, and I have pics to share. M&M, Jane...please email me at liz.beneski@att.net so I may send you some photos as promised

This cruise was very special; we became a special family, and despite Ron's mishap, a true Miracle at Sea occured- in so many different ways.

If some friends of mine are here on the boards, but I dont recognize your screen name, please email me as well.

Thank you all who were on board- for this was a most restorative and rejuevenating trip- I have traveled much, but you all made this trip one of my life;s best. Thank you

Liz - Texas

PS: the gal who sang Deliah!

I was on the Shadow and I met Ron. I didn't spend a lot of time with him during our cruise, but he was a fellow solo traveler and they had a nice party for us the first night. I do not know why or how Ron ended up in the ocean. I never heard. Nothing, to my knowledge, has been posted on the news accounts that I have seen on the internet. So anything we would have to say would be speculation.

Jane

If he was not drunk or really stupid, how did he fall in the water. The railings on the ship are high and you would have to work really hard to "accidentally" fall in.

I get very ticked at the people who say that we should feel sorry for someone who falls overboard when it was their fault that they did it. Nobody who is reasonably careful could possibly fall overboard. They certainly should never be allowed on any cruise ship ever again.

DON

Well said Sir.

Archived