$75 for Chops?

dosherpack

I was looking to book dinner at Chops and Portifino for my upcoming cruise and saw something new. There is now an option for a Wine & Dine with a special menu and wine with each course. $75/pp for Chops and $55/pp in Portifino. Ouch!!!! Too rich for my blood! Has anyone done this? Is it worth the money? Would love to hear what others think.:eek:

Too rich for my blood! You can get some very nice wines for $50-60/bottle. Granted you don't get variety or any patter about the pairings, but that's an awfully steep price. On Azamara, the premium line of the RCCL family, the wine pairing dinners were $60pp, and included special foods not on the menu plus premium wines that went for anywhere from $60-150 onboard. And it was unlimited. I have trouble believing that RCI could put on a better show.

The menu had salad, trio of soups, scallop and crabcake first course, beef medalions for entree and passionfruit creme brulee for desert. Four different wines were served. Don't know if the wine is unlimited or not. If it is unlimited, I might get my money's worth.

Basically you're paying $85 for the wine, so it's really your choice. If you typically buy a bottle to share for $40, then does the other $45 matter to you? Wine pairings are great, but if the pairings are on the regular wine list, I'd stay away. If the courses are paired with wines not found on the list, then it might be interesting. All personal preference. Either way, you're in for a good meal at either restaurant.

The menu had salad, trio of soups, scallop and crabcake first course, beef medalions for entree and passionfruit creme brulee for desert. Four different wines were served. Don't know if the wine is unlimited or not. If it is unlimited, I might get my money's worth.

Sounds great but the normal menu is fantastic. We had the wine package separate and chose the wine when and where we wanted it .:)

We are booked for the 02/27/10 serenade sailing. We have already pre booked this wine pairing. We enjoy California wines (500 wines currently in our cellar) and to see the Caymus cab being offered is worth the price of dinner. It is not for everybody I'm sure, but these are wines that are not on the regular menus and they are all really good....

I went and took at look at this on the RCI website and IF and I mean IF the wine selections they indicate on the "sample" menu, then I would definitely go with the CA Vineyards Dinner.

It is highly likely that you will not see those same wines on the ship's wine list. I certainly don't remember them.

Archived