tours

m-mello

We are cruising on the Dream in Jan. to Bahamas, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Our last (first cruise) we used the cruise line for our tours. How comfortable are people using tours not associated with the cruise lines? Any suggestions? Always back on time?

Thanks

We are cruising on the Dream in Jan. to Bahamas, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Our last (first cruise) we used the cruise line for our tours. How comfortable are people using tours not associated with the cruise lines? Any suggestions? Always back on time?

Thanks

That's an individual choice based on your comfort level. If your ship leaves say, 5pm, and your tour finishes up after 3, you may be too worried about getting back to the ship to enjoy yourself.

If you are considering using independent operators, I would go to the ports of call board for the ports on your itineraries and start asking there. The best and the worst operators will start to surface quickly.

On our first trip to Nassau, we decided to take part in a taxi van tour of the island. The operator had two other couples waiting, and was ready to go. He was funny, charming, and friendly. The tour was awful. I was so sorry I didn't book through the ship. Recently we returned to Nassau, and decided to take a ship excursion. It was disappointing too. So there really is no best answer here.

Personally, if we were to take a tour that was too close to embarkation time for my own comfort level, I would book through the ship for sure. That way if there is a breakdown or some other reason you are late, they will hold the ship, or make arrangements to get you back on.

We did some tours thru Princess when I went to those islands, and it worked out well for us and not much difference in price.

You can save some by booking indepedent. I would be comforatable doing that and have at other ports. I just happened to want to do the "views" Princess excursion in St. Thomas for instance because I didnt see anything comparable privately. We did the tram up the mountain side, which I was dying to do because it was different. They also took us to Mountain Top and some other views. I would have liked to do the tram on my own, because they didnt give us enough time to enjoy the views, the shops and stop and have a drink. I was in the last tram of our group and barely had time to stop and run up the stairs to take pictures and pee and they were yelling at me to hurry.

Before I book with an outside vendor I check them out on the ports of call board & on tripadvisor. I also try to determine if they have a web site, what the BBB says about them (if anything) & what their own tourism boards says / recommends.

Archived