Tipping on Shore Excursions?

lumofny

On our last NCL cruise we overheard a couple saying that the guides on ncl-arranged excursions aren't supposed to accept tips. We've always gone off and done our own sightseeing, however on our upcoming cruise we plan to take in a few NCL-arranged excursions. I'm wondering if tipping of these people (the tour guides, bus drivers, etc. NOT the shore excursion desk staff) is customary, particularly for NCL-arranged tours, and if so, what the tip should be for a couple doing a tour.

While certainly not mandatory, it is customary to tip tour guides and/or drivers. Remember, that while NCL (or any other cruise line) may organize or book the tour, the tour operators are not paid employees of NCL, and the tips become part of their pay, or salary.

How much you wish to tip is entirely up to you. I usually tip around $5.

While certainly not mandatory, it is customary to tip tour guides and/or drivers. Remember, that while NCL (or any other cruise line) may organize or book the tour, the tour operators are not paid employees of NCL, and the tips become part of their pay, or salary.

How much you wish to tip is entirely up to you. I usually tip around $5.

Thanks! Do you base the $5 on duration of the cruise? Is that per person?

During their conversation it sounded like that gratuities were 'built into' the excursion price, but after doing further research it sounds like that's incorrect. I don't want to undertip, but I don't want to leave them an excessive tip either. I know, we're cheap :)

NCL guides and/or drivers CAN and will thankfully accept your tips. We usually do it as we exit the vehicle at the end of the tour. It's not necessary but I'm sure it's appreciated! :)

As for the amount, that's entirely up to you.

Have fun!

I do exactly the same. :D

it will totally depend on you.

on a 1/2 day tour, for 2 of us, we (usually) do $5 for the guide and a dollar or 2 for the bus driver.

our tour guide, on the "lamanai and river safari", got more..she was excellent. plus we tip the bus driver and the boat captain..both were great.

just do what you feel is right and how much you got out of the tour.

it will totally depend on you.

on a 1/2 day tour, for 2 of us, we (usually) do $5 for the guide and a dollar or 2 for the bus driver.

our tour guide, on the "lamanai and river safari", got more..she was excellent. plus we tip the bus driver and the boat captain..both were great.

just do what you feel is right and how much you got out of the tour.

That's pretty much what I do, too. But, as you said, it varies depending on how good the guide and driver are.

Our rule of thumb is $5.00 for each of us for a 1/2 excursion and $10.00 for each of us if it is a full day. We usually just put that into the tip jar for everyone rather than tipping individually. We have tipped each person before, but usually just put in the tip jar. We have tipped more if we felt it was earned and tipped less if we felt they deserved less. As others have said it is up to you and depending on the tour and how well the employees treated you, etc.

Our rule of thumb is $5.00 for each of us for a 1/2 excursion and $10.00 for each of us if it is a full day. We usually just put that into the tip jar for everyone rather than tipping individually. We have tipped each person before, but usually just put in the tip jar. We have tipped more if we felt it was earned and tipped less if we felt they deserved less. As others have said it is up to you and depending on the tour and how well the employees treated you, etc.

This is exactly what we do. $5.00 for a half day excursion and $10 for a full day excursion.

Tips are not included in the tour price unless it specifically says so in the description.

The suggested minimum tip is $1/pp for a half day (4hr) or less excursion, or $2/pp for more than a half day excursion. This amount is each for the driver and for the guide if you have a separate driver and guide. (Not a combined amount for both. And you can tip more if you enjoyed the service. We usually do.)

Also, you should not give the tour guide the tips for both unless they publicly announce that they are sharing tips. Otherwise the guide will keep the entire tip, and the driver, who probably did more actual work, gets stiffed. (Even if you tell them that it's for both it very likely won't get shared.)

If you get a driver that also acts as your guide and manages to do a good job, you might want to tip them more. It's not easy to be a safe driver and also be an entertaining guide while watching the road.

This sounds reasonable. Although I've never seen a tip jar on our tours. I would imagine if they set out a tip jar that it would be shared unless it was somehow labeled to indicate differently.

This sounds reasonable. Although I've never seen a tip jar on our tours. I would imagine if they set out a tip jar that it would be shared unless it was somehow labeled to indicate differently.

That is kind of funny because there has always been a tip jar on every bus tour I have taken. THough many people don't leave or hand over anything.

We normally give $5 to $10 per person to the guide and the driver unless they were AWFUL which on my last cruise one was. Incredibly awful in fact.

By the way I am not saying I don't believe you that there were no jars, just noting it was interesting, that there have been on the ones I took.

Archived