The "Real Deal" about smoking on SS Shadow

Goldens4

Hopefully, this will put this to rest and NOT start another LONG thread. If, you request an ashtray, your cabin steward will ask you not to smoke in your suite but on your veranda. So, if you have a decent human being in your suite before you, no need to worry about the smell of smoke. I know this will not make some folks happy on these boards, but let's cease and desist while I give you facts. You can smoke in the designated smoking section in The Bar. No smoking in Restaurants or any public areas. Panorama is completely non-smoking. You can smoke outside at the designated smoking tables outside day and night. Pool Bar is non smoking. You can smoke at the designated tables and at poolside starboard (left).

I contacted both suites next to ours (611). The one couple (wife smoked) was no problem. Next one, left note, knocked on door 1X first 3 days, no response. Not to be seen ever. Every now and then I would hear some movement next door. They were either squirrels or vampires.:D;) Oh well! Did what I could.

So, facts given. PLEASE! No big debates about how you think it should be. This is the way it is.

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanza! Ramadan? Don't have a clue about that one.;):) Love ya'all and have a Happy New Year and many more cruises on SS.

Personally and as a smoker, I believe SS could have done better in the ventilation system in The Bar. With the technology today, it could be a lot clearer. Refurb needs to be done. My husband installed a ventilation system in our home that is fantastic. Our non-smoking friends have no problem in our home. And, if you crank it up to "High", it can blow a toupee off a cueball.:D

I absolutely detest the smell of cigarette smoke. I just came off the Shadow and I don't remember seeing anyone smoking or even running into any place that smelled of smoke. Now...I never was in the bar or at the shows, maybe that's why. I didn't even realize half the pool deck was designated as a smoking section. Huh.

Glad it worked out, hope it does for anyone who travels on SS.

"If, you request an ashtray, your cabin steward will ask you not to smoke in your suite but on your veranda."

I find this surprising since the ship discourages smoking on Verandas. I wonder if the practice varies by cabin steward.

Emtbsam, I didn't hear the announcement this time, but maybe I was somewhere else. The ashtrays they give you are the blue covered ones that you see on the decks. So, if SS supplies them, they must be safe.

No worry, be happy.:)

lord of the seas, everyone appeared to be very respectful on this cruise and obeyed the rules. Some cruises may be different.

duct tape, perhaps late next year. Just depends on Dick's contracts.

Hey, guys, how about giving this subject a rest. It's been discussed adnauseum. Everybody knows the smoking policy on SS and it's clearly stated in their brochures and on the website.

Yes, we all know the smoking policy....but I still find it reassuring when recent passengers post that they found the smell of smoke not to be an issue.

Smokers are puffing on a legal product, the taxes from which support our state governments. I quite smoking in 1964 by tossing a half empty pack away on the way to morning coffee. I quite because it was a senseless habit I picked up in Korea while serving in the army. Health reason didn't enter into my decision. Cigarettes were FREE in a combat zone and 10 cents a pack on troop ships. So I might claim our government got me hooked. I also slept in hammacks next to asbestos wrapped pipes on six troop ships. I realize this post will raise the ire of many. But I, for one, do not believe I have the right to impose my wishes on others enjoying a legal (if hamrful pursuit) simply because I find the smoke distasteful. And I certainly would never knock on doors seeking information on an occupants habit. We lose freedoms one at a time. We are losing our freedoms one at a time!

Yes, we all know the smoking policy....but I still find it reassuring when recent passengers post that they found the smell of smoke not to be an issue.

Agree, as a non-smokers, that it is a good thing to get a fresh update on how things are really working and that most people are really doing the "RIGHT THING"!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Until the day comes tobacco is an unlawful product you have the option to move away from the smoke; just as I do when cell phones, loud conversation, and rudeness distrub by solitude. This is my belief and others have thiers. The fact is cruise ships have non-smoking and smoking areas for their guests. Why should Silversea be any different? Given a choice I will opt for the non-smoking venue. Smoking is not right any more than starboard is left. But it is a choice and not a crime...yet.

Lord, I asked for this not to become a forum about likes and dislikes. I just stated the facts and ship's policy. If anyone does not care for SS policy, contact them. Let's leave it alone here. It has been discussed enough. You are beating a dead horse to death. By the way SS is quite aware that they are gathering the "dreaded" smokers from Regent. So, look at this from a business perspective. They lose 2 of you and gain 10 of them. Who is SS going to care about when it comes to $$$. Reality stinks, doesn't it? Plus SS is getting a younger passenger from Regent. Don't you think they have run stats on life expectancy and what the "market value" ( determined by years") is per passenger?

I am thinking of booking an upcoming cruise on the Silver Spirit and would like to know if it will have the same policy (I understand it to be smoking in rooms discouraged but not forbidden?) as described above for the Silver Shadow. I think I recall hearing it varies from ship to ship.

Archived