Group Cruising Amenities

MelBCroozer

We are going on a group cruise in June on the Glory. We have done one before and received chocolates and champagne. I was wondering if anyone received anything else with their choc. & champ.? I was hoping for a private party. Our TA gave us a choice between the choc. & champ. or a photo coupon. We chose the fun amenity!!!

That sounds kind of chintzy. My DIL's group from work received a $50 per cabin credit, a free one hour cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres and a $20 photo coupon.

Maybe it depends on the number of pax in your group.

Your TA can do better then that IMO, ask again. Good luck. Dolly

Carnival assigns a certain number of "fun points" to each sailing, and the number assigned varies depending on ship, itinerary, time of year, etc. Those fun points are used when determining what group amenities will be given. For instance, say groups for your sailing are given 4 fun points. You can then use 2 fun points for champagne & chocolates in each room, and 2 fun points for a private cocktail party. You should discuss with your t/a the number of fun points that your group is receiving, and what amenities you want to select for your group using those points.

Just be aware that your t/a may be resistant to being upfront with you about the fun points, because the t/a can also use those points to earn extra commission for themselves. So if your t/a doesn't want to get into those details with you - you know why. :rolleyes:

Carnival assigns a certain number of "fun points" to each sailing, and the number assigned varies depending on ship, itinerary, time of year, etc. Those fun points are used when determining what group amenities will be given. For instance, say groups for your sailing are given 4 fun points. You can then use 2 fun points for champagne & chocolates in each room, and 2 fun points for a private cocktail party.

It is also based on the length of the cruise and not all sailings have fun points for groups. It should be noted that the 2 points for the private cocktail party requires a minimum of 50 cabins. The shared cocktail party, which is 1 point requires a minimum of 8 cabins. All other amenities, except for a coffee-Danish Breakfast Meeting, require a minimum of 5 cabins.

It is also based on the length of the cruise and not all sailings have fun points for groups. It should be noted that the 2 points for the private cocktail party requires a minimum of 50 cabins. .....

That can't be right.

I just asked my DIL & she said they had 63 pax total and there was no way that they had 50 cabins or more since all cabins were shared.

Dolly

That can't be right.

I just asked my DIL & she said they had 63 pax total and there was no way that they had 50 cabins or more since all cabins were shared.

Dolly, that figure comes right from the Carnival Fun Points Amenities list. It is possible that a shared cocktail party was obtained from points and your group just lucked out and had no other group at the same time. That happened to me this past August with 37 people.

Is that only if you book through Carnival? We have a group w/ 8 cabins and nothing.... Should I TA and ask?

Not all groups of 5 or more cabins have points for amenities. If you or someone in your group did all the legwork getting the people for the 8 cabins, then by all means ask your TA if the group came with any amenity "Fun Points". Like somoeone mentioned, TA's call also earn bonus commissions or lower your cruise rate (something they may have done and not told you).

Is that only if you book through Carnival? We have a group w/ 8 cabins and nothing.... Should I TA and ask?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to call your TA, however, keep in mind that not all cruises are given "Fun Points". If you are sailing during high season, a school vacation or holiday period, the cruiseline does not need to provide any "enticements" to fill the ship.

Be sure to ask your TA what your choices are. Last year we had 8 cabins and our TA didn't tell us about any amenities. When we got to our cabin we had strawberrries and champage. We just thought it was a "nice gesture" from our TA. This year our group is booking with another TA and she gave us choices such as Strawberries/Champage, photo vouchers, or 25.00 per cabin shipboard credit. We didn't even realize this existed last year. Just goes to show how important your choice in TA is.

She did give us a choice this time between choc. & champagne and a photo coupon. We chose the choc. & champ. Last group cruise, we got the choc. & champ. without any choice. I'm still going to ask about a possible shared cocktail party because she briefly mentioned it last cruise, but we didn't pursue it. I will this time. Thanks!!

I need help here. We booked through a reputable online agency. We have 8 couples (cabins) in our group going (2 penthouse suites). We all called the same agent. They are now telling us that they can't give us any discount because we each booked at different times even though we told them that they were grouped together. He did tell us that we qualify for one free cruise, but he would have to go back and rebook all 8 cabins. We also stand the chance of losing our reservation when he does that! He said he is 90% sure that won.t happen, but it is a possibility. Should we call back and ask for onboard credit or something. We hate to give up the discount, but.... Any help here would be appreciated!

When you originally booked, did you book as a group? If not, the TA would have no way of knowing, since you all booked at different times. If it is worth it to you, have him rebook you as a group.... FYI, make sure you understand what is "free", a free berth is not a "free cruise"... just double check with your TA...good luck!

Yes, we told him that there would be several other rooms tied to the first reservation. The problem with rebooking is that he said we stand the chance of "losing" the room while he is doing the rebooking.... the credit is only about $300.00 because it is the cost of one cruise minus port fees etc... Are they able to give onboard ship credits? Does anyone know? Thanks for your help. This is the 2nd cruise we have booked with this company.

Yes, we told him that there would be several other rooms tied to the first reservation. The problem with rebooking is that he said we stand the chance of "losing" the room while he is doing the rebooking.... the credit is only about $300.00 because it is the cost of one cruise minus port fees etc... Are they able to give onboard ship credits? Does anyone know? Thanks for your help. This is the 2nd cruise we have booked with this company.

"Several other rooms tied to the first reservation" is not the same as a group booking. You should have told him that you had 16 people that wanted to cruise and you wanted to get group prices. The two requests go through different departments and have different accounting. There is no harm in having him check if group space still exists. If it does, all the names and deposits can be transfered over.

Joe's signature is within cruise critic's guidelines:

Professionals, Tour Operators & Travel Agents Cruise professionals, tour operators and travel agents (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers.

In doing so, you are welcome to sign your name and note your professional business. You may not list your phone number, business location, web site address, contact info or e-mail address. Responding to members' inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed.

Cruise Critic considers requests to be E-mailed for additional information as soliciting and will return those postings to Cruise Professionals.

Cruise professionals and property owners (and their associates, employees or designated representative) may not list or refer members to their World Wide Web sites.

Maybe I should start posting MY agency......

Debbie, nowhere in any of my postings will you see anything close to advertising. I never write that someone should call me for more information or pricing. As mentioned above, I am within the guidelines. I think people like to know that the information I am giving is from a travel professional and not someone who just cruises for fun.

In this thread alone, you will see that Snowball posted a message concerning amenities and Fun Points. I responded and corrected something she said. she responded to my message and wrote "I don't know what the actual "fun points" costs are for those or any other group amenities." People were able to see that a TA posted info based on facts.

If you would like to provide free information and help people out, which is exactly what I do, feel free to add your credentials (if any) and your agency name.

I've always appreciated your kind and quick replies to people with questions.

I've never considered that you were advertising and I'm sorry that the above poster called your motives into question, even if by insinuation.

Please continue with your helpful advice and attention to detail.

We are going on a group cruise in June on the Glory. We have done one before and received chocolates and champagne. I was wondering if anyone received anything else with their choc. & champ.? I was hoping for a private party. Our TA gave us a choice between the choc. & champ. or a photo coupon. We chose the fun amenity!!!

A lot of it depends on your TA and what they are willing to share with you. When I first went to talk to her she told us how many points we would get on that cruise. She gave me an overview of all the different options and we will sit down and go over the amenities. So far we are looking at a $50 credit, champ & chocolate.

Archived