Weather? - IOS 01/17/10

mompells

We are sailing on the IOS out of Fort Lauderdale on 01/17/10. We are sailing to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize City. Someone just told me that they did that cruise last year and it was horrible weather and cold the entire cruise! Now I'm nervous about the weather in January! Is it usually nice at these locations in January?

How do you rxpect anyone to forecast the weather for over 30 days from now? When your local weatherman can't get it right for tomorow?:D

Weather in the Carib may be slightly on the cool side for the first and last days of your cruise, but usually by the second day you can expect temps with highs in the 80's. If the sun is shining it will usually be quite pleasant.

That poor weather was not normal. Of course anything is possible, but odds are it will be warm and beautiful in the caribbean in the winter.

We've been traveling to the Caribbean for almost 20 years in January-February and I always get a kick out of the forecast, almost the same every day year after year......"in the 80's, mostly sunny, a chance of showers...":D

Of course there was the day in Labadee 3-4 years ago where it POURED rain ALL day........:eek: But it wasn't snowing and we still went ashore and did some shopping and enjoyed ourselves:)

South Florida winters are characterized by two or three day long cool (seldom cold) spells alternating with three to five day milder spells. The exact timing and length of these cycles is hard to predict even for our local weather guys.

As for chilly weather further south in Cozumel and Costa Maya, that would be unusual, but this has been an El Nino year, so it could be cool. I doubt it will be chilly, however.

My experience has been that, for the most part, January and February are the very best months to cruise in the Caribbean. No one can guarantee, that your particular cruise will be one of those perfect cruises. I hope you do get lucky and have fabulous weather.

We went on the IOS to W Caribbean at that time last year. It was cooler than expected on ship, pool water was ice cold! Belize was warm, not hot. Costa Maya was our beach day, hot sunny and the water was comfortable. Went to Chankanaab Park to do Dolphin swim in Cozumel and had beautiful warm, not too hot weather with comfortable water temps. The locals all said that last year was much cooler than usual. Be warned, the pools on the IOS are not heated for the Caribbean cruises! Brrrr!

Archived