Velvet Top For Alaska Cruise

nanak915

I am cruising to Alaska August 28 to September 4, 2010. Will it be too warm or inappropriate to wear a velvet evening top then. I love wearing it with a black evening skirt or evening pants. I usually only wear velvet from November through February here in the Northeast.

Our last trip to AK was Labor Day weekend (2007) and it was very warm (except the day in Skagway) Velvet would have been too warm for me. For one of our formal nights, I brought a St John evening suit and ended up carrying the jacket and just wearing the sleeveless shell most of the night. I wouldn't bring velvet - it's just not flexible enough for me.

Some people will tell you not to bring it. Others will tell you to do what you want. Which of course is what you should do. I would just say that --even for formal nights on a cruise, in Alaska, layering is the best way to survive whatever weather you might get:p

Unless you go outside up on deck, the temps will be the same in Alaska as they will be in the Caribbean.

So, your question should be whether or not you want to wear velvet out of season. Personally, I probably wouldn't notice or think anything regarding if another woman was wearing velvet in August or September, but I wouldn't choose it then.

I went to Alaska in June is was cool on deck at night...I think you will be fine the air in the dinning rooms are set low when wearing short sleeves you usually need a wrap.

Enjoy your cruise Alaska is amazing.....

Well we all know the old adage, "you can't count on the weather."

I had friends who cruised Alaska Labor Day week 2000 and they were in winter coats all week. They showed us videos of their excursions because we were to cruise a few months after them, in late May 2001, and we wanted a preview of what our trip might be.

Like you, when we took our trip,we found it coolish, though mid day it would get up to about 60. It wasn't as nearly as cold for us, as it had been for them. They said it never made 50 their trip.

My thinking is, to be safe- if the OP is hot natured, she may not want to wear a velvet top-just in case it is warmer than usual. If she tends to be cold natured though, she would probably be fine. She should know, if she can wear velvet on mild spring or fall days, and if it doesn't heat her up too much, than chances are she would be fine. I know, I only wear velvet in the winter, it has to be below 45 for me to wear velvet. Now a velvet wrap/jacket would be okay, as she could remove it, if she became too warm.

Well we all know the old adage, "you can't count on the weather."

I had friends who cruised Alaska Labor Day week 2000 and they were in winter coats all week. They showed us videos of their excursions because we were to cruise a few months after them, in late May 2001, and we wanted a preview of what our trip might be.

Like you, when we took our trip,we found it coolish, though mid day it would get up to about 60. It wasn't as nearly as cold for us, as it had been for them. They said it never made 50 their trip.

My thinking is, to be safe- if the OP is hot natured, she may not want to wear a velvet top-just in case it is warmer than usual. If she tends to be cold natured though, she would probably be fine. She should know, if she can wear velvet on mild spring or fall days, and if it doesn't heat her up too much, than chances are she would be fine. I know, I only wear velvet in the winter, it has to be below 45 for me to wear velvet. Now a velvet wrap/jacket would be okay, as she could remove it, if she became too warm.

Mom. the OP is not asking about clothing for weather outside in Alaska during the day. Any clothing worn inside the ship is irrelevant to the outside weather unless they happen to step outside. The temps are as controlled inside the ship Alaska as they would be anywhere else on earth when on a cruise ship.

For day wear, you really have to wait until closer to the trip, to see what the weather predictions are. Alaska has summer too, we had temps ranging from 55 to 80 when we were there in August a few years ago. Day time clothing is a whole different subject and perhaps should have it's own thread.

What you wear in the evening has no bearing on the outdoor weather.

Mom. the OP is not asking about clothing for weather outside in Alaska during the day. Any clothing worn inside the ship is irrelevant to the outside weather unless they happen to step outside. The temps are as controlled in Alaska as they would be anywhere else on earth when on a cruise ship.

For day wear, you really have to wait until closer to the trip, to see what the weather predictions are. Alaska has summer too, we had temps ranging from 55 to 80 when we were there in August a few years ago. Day time clothing is a whole different subject and perhaps should have it's own thread.

What you wear in the evening has no bearing on the outdoor weather.

Well KS,if that is true, then we can wear velvet in the dreaded Caribbean! I knew what she meant.

But you only replied as to what to wear during the day ;) You didn't address her question at all. And you can wear velvet in the Caribbean if you choose, it would be fine for a holiday cruise.

I was joking, KS-I certainly do not want another velvet in the Caribbean debate thread. Plenty of those here already.

Seriously though, I was simply "covering all the bases" and allowing the OP to see the extremes in temps. Hoyaheel went almost the same exact time period as my friends, except their cruise started in September,as it was the Sunday before Labor Day. But look how different the temps were, she said it was actually hot the week she cruised and velvet would have been too warm.

And I did mean wearing velvet in the evening when I mentioned could she wear it in the spring and fall on mild days. (A day is 24 hours) I have several velvet tops/dresses and I do not wear mine to evening Bible study classes (one few the few times I dress up besides on a cruise) unless it is below 45 out, if it is warmer, I find I get too warm.

I think I will leave the velvet home. I have other evening tops I can wear that are lighter weight. I'm just not sure about how cold it will be. I'll do like one of the posters said and wait till closer to my cruise and see what the weather is like. The best advice was layers. I never wear velvet except through the Christmas holidays at home and I should have just followed through with that.

Archived