What type of shoe?

Jules59

I need some help on what shoes to pack for an upcoming cruise. I'm trying to take the least amount possible. For formal night, I will be wearing black slinky, wide leg slacks that has a matching jacket. I will also bring a pair of black poly blend slacks and maybe a pair of tan slacks. otherwise I will be in shorts and tanks or short sleeve tops. I am diabetic and my feet tend to swell. I would only like to bring one pair of black shoes. What type do you think I should get? Also, I have one pair of white sandals on the dressy side, and tan sandals that are more casual. Going down there I will where a pair of white slip-on walking shoe. I hope to buy only one pair of shoes. What would be my best choice to get? And which of the others do you think I should take?

I have a pair of black patent ballet flats with a peep toe. I took those on our quicky cruise last weekend and wore them on all three evenings. I'd normally carry a pair of heels, but given that I was wearing tuxedo pants for "formal" night, these were perfect.

If I was you I'd look for a pair of evening flats that would go with everything. :)

I agree about the white sandals. Do you think I could wear the white walking shoes with my tan slacks? Actually, the slacks are twill and would be worn to the buffet,for dinner or something real casual. Then, of course, I'll have my flip-flops for the pool area.

If you are comfortable in you sandals and your walking shoes, I think they could be interchangeable for around the ship and on shore. For casual dinners the white shoes would be fine, I'm sure. Being on this board makes us all a bit self-conscious, I think. :) In reality, other cruisers are going to be so busy eating, sightseeing, reading, napping, drinking, dancing, that other people's shoes won't even be noticed by them, I think. I know I remember ONLY one pair of shoes from my last cruise that another passenger was wearing. And that's only because they were so stunningly, outrageously, FABULOUS that I wanted a pair of them for myself :)

It's hard to judge for other people.

Being a very light packer - and with everything in a 22" roll-on-board, I keep shoes to a minimum (and a lot of everything else, too).

I take 3 pair of shoes and wear one of them on the flight.

A really good pair of walking shoes or sneakers...something with laces that can be loosened if needed, a pair of sturdy sandals in a neutral color that will go with anything casual, and a pair of plain black low-heeled pumps that go with dressy outfits - and can double as a shoe for those "not so dressy" nights.

You don't have to get anything "special" for the cruise....whatever you normally wear is fine.

Black is a neutral..it can be worn with anything.....so is white...but white isn't "formal", so you wouldn't want to wear that with your "evening" pants...

If you could find a black sandal that has other colors in it...it would work for almost everything!

You can wear flip=flops with the shorts...you do NOT need to worry about the colors for casual "day-wear" at all---no one else will care or notice!

Guest maddycat
I was thinking about shoes too but more about "crocks" they can go in the water for cave tubing and are comfortable walking shoes too..are these a big no no ?

Whatever is comfortable is fine. I've seen "crocks" worn on recent cruises.

i can relate to feet swelling...not a diabetic but my feet swell up in the humidity and usually i dont take alot of shoes and i am sorry cos then i am limited to what will fit my feet...this time i took MORE and was GLAD i did cos even some i thought i would be able to get on were very uncomfortable i just took some dressy flip-flops and those are what i ended up wearing quite a bit...otherwise i might have been wearing my crocs when i was dressed-up...but they were GREAT for port days even walking around in the Costa Rican rainforest:)

• 2 weeks later...

While Ive not sailed yet, Ive emailed this pic to friends that have. They are a simple pair of Walmart specials from a few years ago. I was afraid theyd be out of style by the time we sailed. But I can wear these with all my sun dresses and even for "formal" night. The heel is only about 3 inches,so it wont be hard to walk around it. I also plan on taking 2 pairs of flip flops and my tennis shoes.

1693271219_stuff023.jpg.9b8f218829db07151d152ced48b778bd.jpg

For those who need comfort shoes for feet that swell, try these Onex slides. I love them. I get them in a half size larger than usual.http://www.zappos.com/onex-dawn-black-elastic

They are great around the pool and on casual evenings with slacks.

I ended up going back to a pair of sandals I got for the summer. I ordered them in black. The white ones were very comfortable so I hope the black one work out just as well. They are by Lifestride-mimosa I found in women within. The heels are an inch and a half. I am hoping will work out for all the cruise, since I'll be wearing dressy slacks for formal evening.

For those who need comfort shoes for feet that swell, try these Onex slides. I love them. I get them in a half size larger than usual.http://www.zappos.com/onex-dawn-black-elastic

They are great around the pool and on casual evenings with slacks.

I have 3 pair of Onex that I purchased AT LEAST 10 years ago. They are still going strong and I love them!:D

We are going on a 14 day New England/Cruise this fall and I am looking for a REALLY comfortable shoe I can wear with ALMOST everything. Does anyone have any experience with the comfort of this brand (I usually wear a C width) - and do they really justify the price ($285)?:eek: Thanks!

MY BAD:o The shoes are NOT Soffts - they are Finn's! And sorry for the mispell in the title! Sheesh - time to go back to bed!

kanne151946_41297_lg.jpg

I have 3 pair of Onex that I purchased AT LEAST 10 years ago. They are still going strong and I love them!:D

The black insole on my first pair starting showing white through from underneath about after about a year of very heavy wear, so they are now my house slippers. But I liked them enough to buy 2 more pairs after they wore out! They are so lightweight and comfortable. They seem expensive for shoes without any leather on them but they are so worth it.

MY BAD:o The shoes are NOT Soffts - they are Finn's! And sorry for the mispell in the title! Sheesh - time to go back to bed!

kanne151946_41297_lg.jpg

Sometimes we have to shop for value rather that price. An expensive shoe can have better value if you get a lot more wear from it than a cheap shoe if you are comfortable and the shoe is worn for years to come.

I've learned that cheaply made shoes have little value because they don't last long. A shoe that only lasts 6 months with moderate wear can actually cost more than a shoe originally priced at 5-10 times what the other cost if the more expensive shoe lasts for years. There are times when you plan on wearing a shoe only a couple of times and then go for cheap shoes, so I think it depends on what type of wear you are expecting.

You can go on others recommendations, but that doesn't necessarily mean the shoe would be worth it for you, only you can make that judgement.

Sometimes we have to shop for value rather that price. An expensive shoe can have better value if you get a lot more wear from it than a cheap shoe if you are comfortable and the shoe is worn for years to come.

I've learned that cheaply made shoes have little value because they don't last long. A shoe that only lasts 6 months with moderate wear can actually cost more than a shoe originally priced at 5-10 times what the other cost if the more expensive shoe lasts for years. There are times when you plan on wearing a shoe only a couple of times and then go for cheap shoes, so I think it depends on what type of wear you are expecting.

You can go on others recommendations, but that doesn't necessarily mean the shoe would be worth it for you, only you can make that judgement.

Absolutely agree. I have a very tough to fit foot and orthopedic issues (over pronation) and have probably wasted thousands of dollars on cheap shoes that aren't quite right. In the last couple of years I have learned to bite the bullet and spend more on a pair of shoes that actually fits from the moment I put them on (no more "breaking them in"). I have also learned that I can't buy anything other than slides online, even if I have the same pair in a different colour.

Those who can buy a pair of inexpensive shoes at Shoe Carnival or Target are pretty lucky ... for me, shoes have become investment pieces.

Pollyanna Dreamgirl --- I do have a couple of pairs of Soffts and hubby loves his Borns (same company). I like my Soffts, but find they run wide (I normally wear a AA but need a quadA in Soffts). They are super comfortable and wear well.

Absolutely agree. I have a very tough to fit foot and orthopedic issues (over pronation) and have probably wasted thousands of dollars on cheap shoes that aren't quite right. In the last couple of years I have learned to bite the bullet and spend more on a pair of shoes that actually fits from the moment I put them on (no more "breaking them in"). I have also learned that I can't buy anything other than slides online, even if I have the same pair in a different colour.

Those who can buy a pair of inexpensive shoes at Shoe Carnival or Target are pretty lucky ... for me, shoes have become investment pieces.

Pollyanna Dreamgirl --- I do have a couple of pairs of Soffts and hubby loves his Borns (same company). I like my Soffts, but find they run wide (I normally wear a AA but need a quadA in Soffts). They are super comfortable and wear well.

Janine - I also have "problem" feet. No arches (flat feet), and as such, I usually need a wide width. I'm looking at the Nordstrom's page and not seeing any Soffts that appear to be a walking shoe - more sandals and pumps. The Borns may be a better choice, though.

I have found that you can't beat Nordstrom's for their return policy - if you find they don't work for you after wearing them for some time, you can always return them for something that does work. Makes for VERY loyal customers!

I have also found that expensive shoes don't necessarily mean "comfort". I made that mistake with a $300+ pair of heels for my sons wedding - thought I was going to DIE by the time I got those shoes off that night! But most of the time, I do need to pay at the higher end to find comfort for my walking shoes.

I live in my Dansko's right now. I love them. My only fear is that I have rolled my foot off the side once or twice. I certainly don't want a broken foot or ankle on vacation!:eek: I guess I have plenty of time to keep trying different brands until I get it right!

I ended up going back to a pair of sandals I got for the summer. I ordered them in black. The white ones were very comfortable so I hope the black one work out just as well. They are by Lifestride-mimosa I found in women within. The heels are an inch and a half. I am hoping will work out for all the cruise, since I'll be wearing dressy slacks for formal evening.

I don't know how to post a picture. Here is a link. Maybe someone can post a picture of it.

http://media.redcatsusa.com/is-viewers/dhtml/images/blankimg.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a shopping trip and tried on a Kumfs Rhapsody Mary Jane that was "to die for" comfortable. We are going on the 14-day New England/Canada cruise this fall and I would like to have a shoe that is easy on my feet for excursions, but can also be used as semi-casual shoe with skirts on board. I didn't purchase, as I was out of town and concerned about the return policy if it turned out they were not as comfortable after I left the store.:confused:

Has anyone had any experience with this particular brand, or specifically this shoe?

Archived