Just off the Serenade of the seas! (2 complaints)

PantherFan

Oh, I found out that the yacht we saw in St Thomas was owned by the CEO of Oracle, Larry Ellison

WOW, that means we saw 3 of the largest privately owned yachts in the world on this trip!

and RCI and Celebrity sail out of the Pan American Pier.

Is it right that there are 2 piers in San Juan that can be used? the old San Juan pier and the PanAm pier? If that is the case, which one did your sailing leave from?

I'll be cruising out of the Pan Am Pier on celebrity in 2 weeks so I'm curious to know.

TIA!

All RCI cruises that originate in San Juan, including Serenade and Adventure, use the Pan American pier.

WOW, that means we saw 3 of the largest privately owned yachts in the world on this trip!

and RCI and Celebrity sail out of the Pan American Pier.

Shevais,

I found the name of the one in San Juan.

Al Mirqab 436'

Wikipedia has a list motor yachts by length

OP--Installing carpet at 5:30 is ridiculous. There were no other times when this could be done?

Also, the thing with the porters bothers me too. Even if you do tip them, you said you then had to bring your own bags to another area for the other porters to handle them. So, if you leave a good tip, what does it matter? In all the chaos will anyone remember which are yours anyway?

• 1 month later...
I also find the "baiting" of egging on someone to come back and flame you totally uncalled for. It seems to me that you're asking for folks to flame you.

It's more likely that the OP has read a few threads here and noticed the same thing everyone else does: That no matter what you say, someone will have something negative to say about it. Your post illustrates this perfectly.

... but I also find the "baiting" of egging on someone to come back and flame you totally uncalled for. It seems to me that you're asking for folks to flame you.

Baiting!?! Asking for it!?! Are you serious? Yeah, I am sure the OP was secretly asking folks to flame them. Why else would they say such "crazy" things! How uncalled for! Oh brother...

In all seriousness, I do love the diversity on these boards, and it's just inevitable to get a post like this I suppose.

To the OP, thanks for posting the information. Sorry that stuff happened on your cruise. You were very fair in everything you said. Just ignore the lemonade people and the person who thinks you are baiting people and asking to be flamed.

When I travel on the Serenade, as soon as the taxi pulls up I flash a $20 and the porter takes my luggage from the cab, puts on the room tags and I walk right past everyone in line with their luggage. So easy and best $20 spent on the trip!

Sounds like a good idea. I'll "flash" my $20 and then put it back in my pocket!!:D

We had an interesting experience in New York at the port. We had a private transfer bus since we were part of a large group. The driver worked very hard loading and unloading our luggage, and we expected to give him a nice tip. However, as we climbed off the bus, there was a union guy with a fistful of dollar bills and his hand out.

I asked him if those tips went to our driver (in fact, I probably asked the driver if he got at least some of that money) and the answer was no. So I handed my tip to our driver and told them both why. Sorry if he got in trouble for that. It really made me mad!:mad:

Kathy

I can't agree with more Desert Cruisers, but we wanted to bring up these two issues so everyone else can watch out for these things and to let RCI or whomever you cruise or stay with that these things are really not acceptable. If everyone brushes off these types of things without saying anything to those in charge, then they continue to get worse and finally they become totally acceptable. As the saying goes, "silence is consent"

]I have to say that I'm very easygoing and would let a lot of things pass, but I would certainly complain about the early-morning noise. Kathy

I would not be very happy about the 5:30 am carpet replacement either!

That said, why do you even mention the expensive room? I know I am being a bit sensitive here, but I don't think the room you have should make a difference. Being awakened at dawn is not something anyone should have to put up with, regardless of their room.:rolleyes:

Archived