NCL Jade debarkation in Barcelona

jalynn

The latest flight out we can get following our Mediterranean cruise in March is at 9:55 AM. Anyone who's done this cruise: how early were you able to get off the ship (carrying your own luggage) and was there a huge line waiting for taxis? I'm worried about making the flight, but don't want to spend the night if we don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

The latest flight out we can get following our Mediterranean cruise in March is at 9:55 AM. Anyone who's done this cruise: how early were you able to get off the ship (carrying your own luggage) and was there a huge line waiting for taxis? I'm worried about making the flight, but don't want to spend the night if we don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

Our ship arrives at 5 am...

This was time at the check-in counter at the airport:

2009NCLGEM80205-vi.jpg

Our flight was 09.05 hrs... and we made it...

Taxi situation around 07.30 hrs was quite harmless... but we pre-booked a car which waited for us:

2009NCLGEM80204-vi.jpg

At 6.00 hrs the taxi situation looked this way:

2009NCLGEM10102-vi.jpg

Tons of taxis were waiting for the passengers...

So the day before debarkation you must be fast and get here to collect your luggage tag:

2009NCLGEM70505-vi.jpg

First group was 6.45 hrs to leave the ship with baggage service. If you carry your bags yourself you can go earlier.

I do not think that there is a need to carry your own bag and you can still make your flight.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Considering the terrorist event on Christmas, new security measures will be implemented for all flights into the U.S. I would keep a close eye on what those will be and how it will effect the screening times.

Dee

In your case (9.55 am departure) I would carry luggage myself. It's not a big deal; no stairs to worry about. There is no line up for taxis prior to 7 am. Average time to get to airport by taxi is 30-40 min. As previous poster had mentioned the time requirement for check in for US bound flights may (or may not) increase so check with your airline closer to your departure date.

Like Hein, we arrived at the airport at 7.50, although this was much too early for us- and this was with Jade's own coach, plus picking up luggage. Lots of people had left before us. If I was doing an early flight like you, I'd probably self-disembark.- jocap.

• 2 weeks later...

So the day before debarkation you must be fast and get here to collect your luggage tag:

2009NCLGEM70505-vi.jpg

First group was 6.45 hrs to leave the ship with baggage service. If you carry your bags yourself you can go earlier....

Hope no-one minds me jumping in but .... we are sailing NCL for the first time in a week .... we previously sailed RCCL and Celebrity and on all our cruises our debarkation tags were sent to us in our cabins with the times on them ... is it different on NCL??? Do you have to collect the tags somewhere? And if so, where? ... Thanks for any advice ... Oh, and one more, we will be docking at 5am also, what will the latest debarkation time be and will we be able to stay in our cabins until then or will we have to be in a public area?

Thanks!!

Hope no-one minds me jumping in but .... we are sailing NCL for the first time in a week .... we previously sailed RCCL and Celebrity and on all our cruises our debarkation tags were sent to us in our cabins with the times on them ... is it different on NCL??? Do you have to collect the tags somewhere? And if so, where? ... Thanks for any advice ... Oh, and one more, we will be docking at 5am also, what will the latest debarkation time be and will we be able to stay in our cabins until then or will we have to be in a public area?

Thanks!!

Yes, NCL lets you pick your own debarkation time and you do this by picking up luggage tags down in the main lobby area. The picture that shows up on your posting is of how they usually lay out the tags for you to pick up. They use different colors for different times. So pick the time slot you want to leave, get that color tag and put it on your bags. THen leave the ship at that time and your bags should be ready for you to pick up.

Or if you want to carry your own bags off, you can leave at any time.

They announce all this when on the ship and in printed documents you will get near the end of the cruise.

Yes, NCL lets you pick your own debarkation time and you do this by picking up luggage tags down in the main lobby area. The picture that shows up on your posting is of how they usually lay out the tags for you to pick up. They use different colors for different times. So pick the time slot you want to leave, get that color tag and put it on your bags. THen leave the ship at that time and your bags should be ready for you to pick up.

Or if you want to carry your own bags off, you can leave at any time.

They announce all this when on the ship and in printed documents you will get near the end of the cruise.

That's great! We will keep an eye out for the notification and hopefully we can nab a late disembarkation ... not flying home until the following day and our room won't be ready when we get off so ideally we can be in one of the last groups off the ship:)

One more question please - is NCL like X or RCCL in that you can't stay in your cabin until disembarkation - you go to a comunal area?

Thanks a million for your help!

Keep on the lookout for the tags on the last afternoon. On our NCL Gem cruise, the tags were out and available for at least an hour before it was announced. Previous cruisers, and those who just happened to notice, got the first picks. The latest departure tags were gone first ... and we saw lots of people grabbing handfuls. They couldn't all possibly have had that much luggage.

Keep on the lookout for the tags on the last afternoon. On our NCL Gem cruise, the tags were out and available for at least an hour before it was announced. Previous cruisers, and those who just happened to notice, got the first picks. The latest departure tags were gone first ... and we saw lots of people grabbing handfuls. They couldn't all possibly have had that much luggage.

Thanks a million for the tip-off!!! Any idea roughly what time that they put them out?

I don't think staying on the ship longer is the problem. It is getting off at a certain time if you need to. Seems to me that if you have a tag for 8:30, but don't get off until 9:30, it wouldn't be a problem. You would just have to go where they put the 8:30 luggage to get yours.

• 3 weeks later...

So long as the ship arrival in BCN is on time, you will be able to make a 9:55 flight. We were off the ship by 6a.m and at the airport by 6:45. we didn't take our own luggage off and we took the NCL bus to the airport. the airline check in counters only open 3 hours prior to flight. Beware of this NOW in BCN. There are 3 checkpoints to consider. First, normal security, 2nd, border checkpoint, 3rd and WORST, checkpoint for flts departing to US. complete hand search of EVERY carry on article and body search. I do mean EVERY.

Our flt. was delayed due to airport screw up but nonetheless expect 2 hours for all of the above. Don't dilly dally in the shops. go to the gate as soon as you can. Really.

Thanks for the tip.

I never would have thought of that.

We prepared a sheet of paper:

our ships name

date

arrival time

our cell phone number

We asked for the driver's cell phone number and it worked...

2009NCLGEM80204-vi.jpg

perfectly...

He was happy that he does not need to wait in the queue to get business and was happy to have the garanteed tour to the airport.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived